PDA

View Full Version : J/P Combo Owners: Need Help

John TenEyck
10-17-2015, 6:32 PM
I bought a Mini Max FS35 J/P last weekend. It's in fantastic shape. Pics shortly. I had to just about completely disassemble it to get it down into my basement shop, but got it all back together and the alignment looks to be perfect. OK, to the point. When running it in jointer mode, with the chip collection hood folded down under the outfeed table, the chips all blew out the inlet side. I didn't have my dust collector hooked up to the chip collector hood because I'll need to make some sort of adapter to do that. What am I missing here?

John

Mike Hollingsworth
10-17-2015, 7:11 PM
What am I missing here?

Pics !!!!!!!

Chris Merriam
10-17-2015, 7:22 PM
There are two dust hookups. The jointer one is permanently fixed to the infeed table

mreza Salav
10-17-2015, 7:33 PM
Yep, there is a DC hookup for the jointer that is fixed to the infeed table. It will spew all of them down below the infeed table. That's normal.

John TenEyck
10-17-2015, 7:39 PM
OK, pictures.

Sorta makes my Inca behind it look a 98 lb weakling. You can just see the chip collection hood in orange under the outfeed table. Here's what it looks like with the tables raised.

I don't see how chips could ever go to the hood. Looks to me like it's just a way to get the hood out of the way for jointing.

And here it is in planer mode. The chips do blow out the hood in this setup.

John

John TenEyck
10-17-2015, 7:42 PM
That makes complete sense. Got a picture? I don't have another hood.

John

John TenEyck
10-17-2015, 7:46 PM
You are right. I just found a picture of it on the web. Now that makes sense. Any idea where to get one?

John

Chris Merriam
10-17-2015, 7:48 PM
Sure, here you go:

John TenEyck
10-17-2015, 7:53 PM
Thanks. Where do I get one for a 350 mm wide machine?

John

Peter Kelly
10-17-2015, 8:24 PM
http://partspronto.com

I'd be interested if you're selling the Inca btw.

John Sanford
10-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Or you could build your own collection box. The FS30 that I purchased use came with a collection box built by the previous owner that works quite well. If you'd like, I can take pics of it.

Rod Sheridan
10-18-2015, 9:34 AM
I bought a Mini Max FS35 J/P last weekend. It's in fantastic shape. Pics shortly. I had to just about completely disassemble it to get it down into my basement shop, but got it all back together and the alignment looks to be perfect. OK, to the point. When running it in jointer mode, with the chip collection hood folded down under the outfeed table, the chips all blew out the inlet side. I didn't have my dust collector hooked up to the chip collector hood because I'll need to make some sort of adapter to do that. What am I missing here?

John

What are you missing? Dust collection.

Don't run the machine without dust collection, they're not designed to be run that way.

Nice machine, you'll really like it however it looks like you're missing a dust hood?............Regards, Rod.

Mike Hollingsworth
10-18-2015, 2:02 PM
The beauty of thee Italian machines is that most have been made for a long time with few modifications. Will a collector from an FS30 work here? Erik?

mreza Salav
10-18-2015, 2:42 PM
There is a good chance you can retrofit a typical 5" HVAC duct boot to fit in your application....

Erik Loza
10-18-2015, 7:05 PM
..Will a collector from an FS30 work here? Erik?

You'd really want one from the FS35 or FS350, in order to get extraction on the full width of the cutterhead. I don't know if FS350 snorkels are around any more but ones for the FS35 Smart "should" be available and I'd be willing to bet it could be made to fit. It's just a few allen screws that hold it into place. Be easy enough to attach, even if the new one didn't have the same bolt pattern.

There is a good chance you can retrofit a typical 5" HVAC duct boot to fit in your application....

THis was going to be my other suggestion. Don't have the thread bookmarked but I'm sure there was one where the owner did this.

Erik

John TenEyck
10-18-2015, 7:50 PM

Right you are Mreza. I found an offset 5" round to rectangular HVAC transition that works very well. I had to do a little surgery on it to create an opening for the chips to flow into it over the chip breaker.

In place it sits on the planer bed.

And is trapped in place when the jointer table is lowered over it.

It captured nearly all the chips. And the same piece can be used with the planer hood, too.

I just have to figure out a way to secure it better in that position. Perhaps a piece of Velcro. In any case, I'm in business.

As an aside, I was fearing how difficult it might be to set the knives on this cutter head and wondered if I should have kept looking until I found a machine with a Tersa cutter head. Well, my fears were unfounded. The prior owner had set the knives a little too far left and right and they hit the chip collector hood in planing mode so I had to loosen the gibs and center the knives. Well, it was about as simple as could be. I loosed the gib nuts, pressed the knife setting jig over the spring loaded knives, and tightened the gib nuts. Each knife took less than a minute. I checked the alignment of the knives with the outfeed table and they looked good. Then I ran a board over the jointer - perfect.

Thanks for your collective help.

John

mreza Salav
10-18-2015, 8:31 PM
John, the original DC hood for the jointer is usually screwed (using two screws( to the underside of the infeed table. Look at the photo Chris posted.
Here is an old photo of mine:

John TenEyck
10-18-2015, 9:37 PM
Thanks Mreza. I know and I may do that at some point.

John