PDA

View Full Version : Filling area around small knot

Scott Brandstetter
10-17-2015, 1:38 PM
I'm making a dresser top and I have a small knot (about 1/2 inch). Is there an acrylic that I can use to fill the area, sand, then spray with Poly. I have made matching putty from the walnut shavings around the miter saw but was wondering if there was something better

Scott Brandstetter
10-17-2015, 2:03 PM
Sorry folks, should have done a quick search before posting. For those who are interested in an answer, the Wood Wisperer has a really good video on it. Going to help me in a lot of ways. Just ordered the West System epoxy and slow hardener.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/fixing-a-knot/

Steve Wilde
10-17-2015, 4:33 PM
I always just use a burn in stick. No problems so far...

Jim Dwight
10-17-2015, 7:00 PM
I just use 5 minute epoxy. I usually get it from HF.

Jim Andrew
10-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Steve Wilde, would you please post your technique on using a burn in stick? When I have a knot fall out, I whittle a tapered piece that will wedge in the knothole, then glue it and drive it in. Then I saw it off, and sand it flush. Looks like a real knot.

Brian Henderson
10-18-2015, 4:13 AM
I usually just use epoxy and sawdust and finish over it.

Bradley Gray
10-18-2015, 8:20 AM
I split and whittle scrap from the piece and glue in as much of that as I can, then apply a couple coats of finish, then use 5 minute epoxy. If you catch the epoxy when it has just set the excess can be sliced off with a large, sharp chisel.

glenn bradley
10-18-2015, 10:03 AM
+1 on epoxy and slicing off at a partially cured phase.

Larry Copas
10-18-2015, 10:59 AM
I've been using the West System G-Flex for a couple of years now. It allows for wood movement without cracking. Most important for filling knots used in outside projects. I've also used the standard West System epoxy in the pump cans. Both are far better than the junk available in the box stores....cheaper to.

Steve Wilde
10-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Usually I just match a burn in stock to the natural color of the knot, then with a blowtorch heat the end until it starts to drip, and slowly fill the hole. Chisel off the excess and sand it flush. I should use a burn in knife, but I'm too cheap to spen the $ on it. When I hear it I don't actually put the stick in the flame, just close enough for it to heat up and start dripping...

Scott Brandstetter
10-18-2015, 2:36 PM
I have never heard of a burn in stick but going to google it. Sounds like it may be another answer to my issue. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Steve Wilde
10-18-2015, 3:45 PM
http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=Burn%20in%20stick

Lee Schierer
10-18-2015, 4:15 PM
I use wood putty and color it with wood stain to color match the color of the knot. Fill in the gaps around the knot with the colored putty, let it dry and sand it flush.