PDA

View Full Version : Help Corel crashed

Bert Kemp
10-17-2015, 12:44 PM
I did 25 of these a couple months ago now I'm trying to do 3 more and it keeps crashing corel
When I save as a dxf it crashes corel, I tried them all 3, I tried them one at a time.Any help much appreciated thanks guys.OK it won't even let me upload files.I have no idea whats going on. I can't upload a file . I'm guessing for some reason their to big as when I copied a file it took almost a min to copy it and about 30 or so seconds to paste it in a new page.But I don't understand why their that big like I said I did 25 before no problem. I have lasercut 5.3 just so you know what I need to get it into LOL

added note if I open a previous file of one of these mirrors it tells me its 101.6 " sq in size weird as there only 4x4"

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-17-2015, 2:39 PM
I would start with the basics. Power down the computer. Once it's back up, try working on a completely brand new file and draw a few circles, squares, whatever and save it as a dxf see if that crashes. If that's fine, try opening a completely different file and see if that can save as a dxf. If that's fine, then chances are your file you are trying to work with somehow became corrupt. If you have backup copies saved from a few months ago, try using a copy of that. If that doesn't work, see if you have that file saved even further back prior to when it became corrupt.

It's been years since I had this happen, but I did have a similar problem where a file I used on a regular basis somehow became corrupt and would crash Corel whenever I tried to use it. I ended up having to start from scratch and piece the file back together. If I copied the corrupted file and pasted it, it copied the corruption too - where ever it was hiding in that file.

Bert Kemp
10-17-2015, 3:06 PM
Mike I took a file from a few months back it opened at 101.6 inches but I reduced it back to 4 inches and it worked fine. What I did here was Took an old file one I used before and all I did was change a name in it. Tried to resave as a dxf and what crash.

Glen Monaghan
10-17-2015, 4:25 PM
Well as a starting point, 101.6 so happens to be 25.4 times 4, so your 4 inches appears to be getting converted to millimeters (101.6) so are you sure it's saying 101.6 INCHES?

Bert Kemp
10-17-2015, 4:35 PM
You are correct. But I changed it back to inches and it still crashed corel.

Well as a starting point, 101.6 so happens to be 25.4 times 4, so your 4 inches appears to be getting converted to millimeters (101.6) so are you sure it's saying 101.6 INCHES?

Kev Williams
10-17-2015, 5:59 PM
What you likely did to get the 101.6 inches was you imported a metric DXF as "Automatic" (which isn't) or "English".

Still, it shouldn't matter, I do that all the time. Also, you can draw graphics to 75 FEET long x whatever height your screen will accommodate in Corel before you run out of zoom-out space. And enlarging a graphic doesn't add nodes, it just draws larger.

You say you "saved it" as a DXF-- do you mean "exported" it? I never "save" anything but Corel files in Corel, everything else is "exported". A thought: If you SAVED it as a DXF and are trying IMPORT it rather than OPEN it, that might cause a crash--although it seems a 'filter' error is more likely. But I'm just grasping at straws here!

That all said, I've had more than one 'complicated' graphic crash Corel before, almost always a DXF file. Which reminds me, is your "auto reduce nodes" on?

Bert, if you'd like, email me the files, I have several other programs that should open it, maybe I can figure out the issue... :)

Bert Kemp
10-17-2015, 6:09 PM
Thanks Kev Maybe I'll do that later, right now I'm redoing the file, need 3 more of these today.
Also have to run to church for neighbors Memorial service at 4,,,, 3 now yikes I better get dressed.

What you likely did to get the 101.6 inches was you imported a metric DXF as "Automatic" (which isn't) or "English".

Still, it shouldn't matter, I do that all the time. Also, you can draw graphics to 75 FEET long x whatever height your screen will accommodate in Corel before you run out of zoom-out space. And enlarging a graphic doesn't add nodes, it just draws larger.

You say you "saved it" as a DXF-- do you mean "exported" it? I never "save" anything but Corel files in Corel, everything else is "exported". A thought: If you SAVED it as a DXF and are trying IMPORT it rather than OPEN it, that might cause a crash--although it seems a 'filter' error is more likely. But I'm just grasping at straws here!

That all said, I've had more than one 'complicated' graphic crash Corel before, almost always a DXF file. Which reminds me, is your "auto reduce nodes" on?

Bert, if you'd like, email me the files, I have several other programs that should open it, maybe I can figure out the issue... :)

Rich Harman
10-17-2015, 6:48 PM
The only file that I've had crash Corel is the vector version of the Aztec Calendar - I think it was an AI file. The solution was to convert it to bmp.

Incidentally, I always export to Illustrator v8 from Corel for importing into LaserWorks (RDCam) there are many flavors of dxf and not all work with LaserWorks.

I can say that the version of dxf that is exported by free SketchUp plugin exports a LaserWorks friendly file.

Clark Pace
10-17-2015, 8:40 PM
[QUOTE=Rich Harman;2480135]The only file that I've had crash Corel is the vector version of the Aztec Calendar - I think it was an AI file. The solution was to convert it to bmp.

So first things to check are. Are other files working ok?or

Was there any kind of windows update that might for some reason be causing problems.

Bert Kemp
10-17-2015, 9:41 PM
I tried a few other files and they work ok. Don't know if up dates did anything but if that was the case I'd think it would affect all files and not just a few.

[QUOTE=Rich Harman;2480135]The only file that I've had crash Corel is the vector version of the Aztec Calendar - I think it was an AI file. The solution was to convert it to bmp.

So first things to check are. Are other files working ok?or

Was there any kind of windows update that might for some reason be causing problems.

Kev Williams
10-18-2015, 2:26 AM
I checked Bert's file, it was a simple Corel file but was 11mb in size- about 10x bigger that the biggest Corel file I could find on my computer!

The short version is: I found 6 bitmaps within the graphics via the Object Manager-- probably left over from building the original artwork. So small they only appeared as a node in wireframe mode.

Before finding them, when I tried to close the file, Corel X6 (I was using my BIL's copy of X6, I only have X4) hung for over a minute. I thought it was going to crash, but it finally made it.

After deleting the bitmaps, the file size dropped to 197kb, so each bitmap was nearly 2mb in size. I saved it as an X4 file I could open on my Corel, and it opened, worked, and closed as any other! So I'm hoping that was it...

Bert Kemp
10-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Kev
yep that was it, I learn more everyday. I did what you said, I deleted all the bitmaps in the object manager and presto it saved as a dxf in 2 seconds. :) Glad thats figured out.
Thanks so much.
I still haven't found were it tells you the size of the file.