PDA

View Full Version : New kitchen wiring questions

Mike Berrevoets
10-17-2015, 8:58 AM
We are remodeling our kitchen. Actually moving most of it to the dinning room so none of the circuits will get reused. I'm doing the electrical work myself. I've pulled a permit. I did this once before in a previous house and it was permitted and inspected but that was about 10 years ago. From my research it seems like a few codes have probably changed in the last 10 years or so.

Questions:
1 - Tamper resistant outlets required everywhere?

2 - what's AFCI requirements? GFCI is/was pretty standard for small appliance circuits but now I'm seeing AFCI. It looks like that happens at the panel but what circuits require the AFCI protection?

3 - We will have a separate (not over the range) microwave on a dedicated circuit. Range will be natural gas and a range hood over the range with no cabinets over the range. In other words, I don't see a microwave ever going in over the range unless someone does another remodel later. The gas range needs a dedicated circuit. Does the range hood also need its own dedicated circuit? I can't see these two drawing amps even close to what a small appliance circuit would see.

I know the inspector has the final say on all of this but right now I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect and trying to avoid as much rough-in rework as possible.

William Payer
10-17-2015, 9:45 AM
Requirements depend on which version of the NEC your local community is currently operating under. You need to check with your local inspectors about that.

Tamper-restitant outlets everywhere---yes

According to the last NEC code, AFCI circuits were required in all sleeping areas. Newest code ( if your locality requires it) requires them pretty much everywhere except garage and basement, from my understanding.

Check with your local municipality first before planning it out. They can also give particulars as to how many circuits are required, GFI outlet requirements, separate circuits for fridge, microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, etc.

Dan Hintz
10-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Unfortunately, the NEC is starting to sound like the Harbinger of Doom. Here's the 2014 code:

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Arcfault circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required in 210.12(A) and (B). The arc-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected as described by (1), (2), (3), or (4).
Like William said, it doesn't really leave room for any area that's NOT AFCI protected.

Mike Berrevoets
10-17-2015, 1:02 PM
My local code says "Michigan Code" and as near as I can tell that is the 2011 NEC. so maybe it's not quite as bad for the AFCI circuits? I think I have 9 circuits for lights, outlets and dedicated circuits. I was just at the big blue box store and the AFCI breakers are about $45 each versus the regular square D breakers of about $6-$7.

William Payer
10-17-2015, 2:19 PM
I think the 2011 NEC code calls for AFCI breakers in bedroom and sleeping areas, so that lessens your need to install them everywhere. While the additional $40 per breaker is admittedly a sizable expense, the extra protection that an AFCI breaker provides against shorts can be considered worthwhile to some. You can always choose to follow the latest code requirements if you wish.

Brian Elfert
10-17-2015, 4:06 PM
In Minnesota all electrical stuff comes from the state. The state of Minnesota publishes a two page PDF answering all of the common questions about residential wiring based on the 2014 NEC. I re-wired my house per the 2014 code and the only 120 volt circuits without AFCI are the bathroom, dishwasher, septic pump, and furnace. Septic pump has a GFCI breaker. Dishwasher circuit is supposed to have GFCI, but I have no dishwasher right now to save on funds.

Here is what the NEC says about AFCI protection: NEC 210.12 All branch circuits supplying 125-volt, 15 and 20 amp outlets or devices in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, laundry areas, closets, hallways, or similar areas shall be protected by a listed combination type AFCI device. AFCI protection is also required where branch circuit wiring in the above locations is modified, replaced or extended.

It appears that dishwasher are required to have both GFCI and AFCI protection, but I can't say with 100% certainty. I didn't have a dishwasher installed at time of inspection so I was allowed to stick with a plain old breaker with no GFCI. It is unclear if installing a replacement dishwasher in the future would be grandfathered in or not since I would be reusing the same wire with no change in location or anything. I replaced the cabinets, but the dishwasher location did not change.

William Payer
10-17-2015, 6:25 PM
Brian,

Mn is using the newest version of the NEC from what I hear. MI is currently using the 2011 version. So requirement will be very different as you have noted. from what I understand from another forum, the latest NEC ( 2015 or 2014) requires bringing a circuit (possible whole house) up to current standards upon any change, including even changing out an outlet! While I find that personally a little hard to believe, I do believe the newest version of the code is making an attempt to bring homes closer to current requirements whenever changes are made. Whether states or local ordinances will incorporate those retrofit requirements remains to be seen.

Brian Elfert
10-17-2015, 7:02 PM
Minnesota switched to the 3014 NEC as of July 1, 2014. I didn't start my work until Sept 2014 so I had to go with the 2014 code. Due to my circumstances I had to get an electrical permit so I had to follow all of the new codes to the letter. I don't believe Minnesota has any state amendments to the code. My city and county do not have any amendments either.

I always recommend checking with the local electrical inspector to make sure what code your area is using and if there are any local amendments.

John Goodin
10-17-2015, 11:53 PM
The new NEC is pretty simple, if GFCI is not required, then AFCI is required. I think the GFCI on the dishwasher only applies if it is plugged in to an outlet. If it is hard wired you are exexempt.

Rollie Meyers
10-18-2015, 12:56 AM
The new NEC is pretty simple, if GFCI is not required, then AFCI is required. I think the GFCI on the dishwasher only applies if it is plugged in to an outlet. If it is hard wired you are exexempt.

The 2014 NEC does not exempt hardwired dishwashers, either way GFCI protection is required and the GFCI must be accessible, most economical, easiest way is to use a blank face GFCI mounted in the backsplash, another choice is a GFCI circuit breaker but is more costly, if DW is hardwired a means of locking out the circuit is required, a breaker lockout accomplishes that, all manufacturers of load centers offer them as accessories.

Edit: both AFCI, and GFCI, are required under the 2014 NEC, if under a 2011 NEC, or earlier editions then neither are required for a dishwasher.

Kev Williams
10-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Can you just ask whoever's going to do the inspecting what's necessary? He's ultimately the one you have to keep happy... ;)