PDA

View Full Version : Gramercy Bow Saw

Joe Skinner
10-16-2015, 10:04 PM
For the past year, I've been lusting after a Gramercy bow saw. But it's $150, and the coping saw works just fine. I got one in the mail today. OMG, why have you fine folks not told me about this thing? It's only $150. I can now cut curves. Big curves, little curves, one day maybe even a straight line. All without having to turn on the dust collector that ShopCat hates.

ken hatch
10-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Joe,

It is about the same price as that space age fret/coping saw. As I expect you are finding out, unlike that space age one, it is worth the money. Welcome to the club.

ken

Mike Holbrook
10-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Now all you need is the WoodJoy 400mm( 15.7") bowsaw. With 3/8" jigging and wide Universal Turbo Cut blades you can handle about anything, short of long rips. At $140 it may even be a better investment than the Gramercy bowsaw. If you spring for an extra $20 you can get the 600mm saw. You can get cross-Cut, Rip-Cut & Universal blades for the big boy.

peter Joseph
10-17-2015, 12:11 AM
I went to the Gramercy store "tools for working wood" in Brooklyn NY years ago and purchased the hardware kit to make one of their bowsaws. Perhaps I should get on that.

Archie England
10-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks to Chris Griggs for getting me to do the same. We ordered two kits and made one for us each. It is indeed a great cutting saw.

Brian Holcombe
10-17-2015, 11:39 AM
The Woodjoy one is definitely for larger work. I tend to use it for wasting large joinery work with the thinner blade.

lowell holmes
10-17-2015, 2:10 PM
I bought the kit and built my own bow saw.

It's a fun project.

Frederick Skelly
10-17-2015, 7:43 PM
I bought the kit and built my own bow saw.

It's a fun project.

What kind of wood did you use Lowell?

ken hatch
10-17-2015, 8:21 PM
I made an arm to replace a split arm (TFWW had already replaced one at no charge :o), I made the replacement arm out of Pecan/Hickory and even with my ham hands it has worked very well.

ken

lowell holmes
10-17-2015, 9:10 PM
What kind of wood did you use Lowell?

I made it out of curly maple. It looked good, but one of the arms broke.

I plan on building another frame for it out of quarter sawn oak. It should be strong wood rather than pretty.
Bowling alley maple would probably be good.

Daniel Rode
10-18-2015, 9:52 AM
I'm planning to make a simple frame saw sometime this winter. I figure it will be good practice toward eventually making a turning (bow) saw. I'll use red oak for the frame saw. It's strong and I can make the saw from scraps.

I'm really looking forward to making the turning saw. It will be the more useful of the 2 and probably prettier too :)

Charles Bjorgen
10-18-2015, 1:01 PM
For those interested Paul Sellars has a two-part video on making a frame saw (bow saw)that he just added to YouTube. I think you need to be a registered member of his Masterclasses web site to see part 2 although not necessarily a paying member. You can search YouTube for "Paul Sellars frame saw" to find it and then get on his web site for part 2.