PDA

View Full Version : Finishing walnut trim

jim mills
10-16-2015, 12:03 PM
I am trimming out a couple doorways in a commercial space for someone with some beautiful air dried walnut and am looking for suggestions on how to finish it. I want to finish it by hand, brush, or wipe on, no spraying. TIA

Malcolm McLeod
10-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Tung oil by hand. One coat and everybody will want to touch it.

More if you want to build gloss.

John TenEyck
10-16-2015, 12:50 PM
The only time I use BLO is on walnut. It makes the grain look a mile deep. You only need to apply the scarcest amount, too. Just wipe on a very, very thin coat. After 1 or 2 days you can apply your topcoat. I really like Arm-R-Seal wipe on poly on walnut after BLO. It's easy to wipe on and looks beautiful.

If you need to adjust the color you can forgo the BLO and dye it instead. Dye will both change the color and enhance the grain, which was a unexpected but pleasant surprise to me.

jim mills
10-16-2015, 3:10 PM
Both good suggestions. What does the blo do compared to just using the armor seal alone? Seems like just another step

Prashun Patel
10-16-2015, 3:21 PM
If it's air dried, I'd just use the Arm R Seal. Waterlox is nice, but Arm R Seal is a little more forgiving of contact.

BLO will impart a little more amber color, but you'd be hard pressed to really pick it out in an office setting.

Really? air dried molding? I thought molding was the primary reason steamed walnut was invented.

jim mills
10-16-2015, 3:34 PM
Thanks prashun, that helps. Trim is for an art studio, and is anything but conventional. More of an arts and crafts theme, incorporating live edges and all. The lumber came from an old yard tree from near by.

John TenEyck
10-16-2015, 4:08 PM
Both good suggestions. What does the blo do compared to just using the armor seal alone? Seems like just another step

Check out this picture:

Arm-R-Seal Gloss alone on Left,
Over SealCoat Shellac in middle,
Over BLO on Right - Bottom half is BLO then SealCoat then ARS

To me, the sample with the BLO is much warmer and the grain much more alive. The wood was AD walnut, then KD'd in my dehumidification kiln at 110 F.

John

Scott Holmes
10-16-2015, 4:45 PM
Pure Tung oil; would NOT be a wise choice...
All the other "Tung oil" finishes cover the gamut of what is available.

BLO would give a nice pop to the grain.

Remember that walnut is one of the few woods that lightens with age; it does not darken as most other species wood. It will turn a rusty/reddish brown over time.

Malcolm McLeod
10-16-2015, 6:49 PM
Pure Tung oil; would NOT be a wise choice...

+1 (My bad, should have said Tung Oil FINISH.)

Don't remember the last time I saw pure..?? Used to use Homer Formby's, but not so pleased last 8-10 yrs. I tested and used Watco "Tung Oil Finish" on kitchen island top:

380lbs of 40-50 year old air-dried, Ozark black walnut.
Single heavy coat, let soak for 5 minutes and wipe. We wanted a look more like rustic butcher block than high gloss. Result is easy to clean but not 'slick'.

Everybody wants to touch it, so I'm calling it a success.:) (Even a blind pig finds the occasional acorn.)

jim mills
10-18-2015, 12:53 PM
I convinced the client that BLO under Arm-R-Seal was the way to go, and so easy that they could do it themselves and save some money. (After all, they are artists) Sold!
Thanks!