PDA

View Full Version : Online Wood Video Subscriptions such as WoodSmith Shop and 360WoodWorking

Andrew Pitonyak
10-16-2015, 8:14 AM
There is a site called 360WoodWorking that was created by Glen Huey and Chuck Bender (in case you recognize the names). I don't know the full story, but, they left Popular Woodworking (I think) to start this site. You can pay a membership fee of about $10 a month or $100 a year. They apparently have videos, PDF downloads, and some kind of POD cast (I think that you can listen to the pod casts for free). I saw some interesting looking things here when I last looked but did not try it. I know that there are members here that use and enjoy 360 Wood Working.Do you still find it useful?

Now I notice that the WoodSmith Shop has video tips that are membership based. They are $3 a month or $29 a year (or close to that price anyway). I will admit to having always liked the WoodSmith shop stuff that they do for TV. I mention that just to provide some level of understanding of what I find interesting because I know that some people do not care for them. Any members that can comment on this service? The price seems pretty good and they apparently put out a series of videos every two weeks that include a project, a tip, and.... well, I don't remember, but, I think that it was more than two videos each time. The price seems so low it is kind of hard to resist this.

So, any comments on these or suggestions of other similar sites. It even occurred to me that perhaps I should just punt all of that and just buy the videos for the WoodRights shop; I will admit that I have never seen any of his videos.

George Bokros
10-16-2015, 8:27 AM
I have a subscription to Woodsmith magazine but do not pay for their video tips. I thought the video tips via email were free. Maybe I get them because of the subscription to the magazine.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-16-2015, 8:41 AM
I have a subscription to Woodsmith magazine but do not pay for their video tips. I thought the video tips via email were free. Maybe I get them because of the subscription to the magazine.

This is something different than their video tips. It looks like they have longer videos with complete projects.

http://www.woodsmithvideoedition.com/

I found out about it when I watched one of their free tip videos. They indicated that they already have 5000 members. Off hand, I have no idea if that is a big or small number in this domain, it seems small, but I think that they are just getting started.

George Bokros
10-16-2015, 8:56 AM
I have not gotten into their video edition. I don't have time to watch videos on line. I barely have time / remember to watch the TV show.

Matt Krusen
10-16-2015, 9:02 AM
Of all the online woodworking sources, I have found the Wood Whisperer Guild to be the most beneficial, informative, and fun. At least for me. The 360 Woodworking podcasts are pretty good listening as well.

Dave Lehnert
10-16-2015, 10:39 AM
This is something different than their video tips. It looks like they have longer videos with complete projects.

http://www.woodsmithvideoedition.com/

I found out about it when I watched one of their free tip videos. They indicated that they already have 5000 members. Off hand, I have no idea if that is a big or small number in this domain, it seems small, but I think that they are just getting started.

Looks interesting.
Anyone know if membership is auto renew?
I hate auto renew. The one and only reason I have let most all my woodworking magazines run out.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Looks interesting.
Anyone know if membership is auto renew?
I hate auto renew. The one and only reason I have let most all my woodworking magazines run out.

They have a checkbox for save my payment information. I assume that if you do not check that then you would need to enter it every time. If you do check it then I assume that it is like some of the other things that I use (my smugmug account, for example) where they send me an email ahead of time and warn me.

Ben Rivel
10-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Of all the online woodworking sources, I have found the Wood Whisperer Guild to be the most beneficial, informative, and fun. At least for me. The 360 Woodworking podcasts are pretty good listening as well.
Good to hear, that was the only one I was seriously considering joining. I like Marc, hes entertaining to watch and very informative.

Scott Cenicola
10-17-2015, 5:38 PM
I just listened to two of the 360 podcasts on the way home from work. Anytime I can get some woodworking in on the car ride home, I'm impressed. They were pretty interesting and will probably lead me to the website later this evening .