PDA

View Full Version : Blades for a Stanley 271 router?

Allan Speers
10-16-2015, 2:23 AM
I just picked up a 271. It has a blade in good shape, but I'd love to also have a thinner one, and maybe a pointed one, as I'm curious o try some basic inlay. I Googled my fingers off, but can't find the answer.

Is there any aftermarket blades available?

Lie Nielsen clearly won't fit. Veritas has only a square 1/4" for THEIR small router. Does that fit? (Maybe I could grind it down.)

Plus, if that blade does fit, then the Veritas depth stop will also fit, and that would be handy.

Derek Cohen
10-16-2015, 8:22 AM
Will the Small Veritas fit? I suspect so (no, not the miniature version). It should be the same as you have. If so, then simply use a grinder to reduce the sides of the blade head to the size(s) you want.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Greg Krummel
10-16-2015, 12:52 PM
I know that some people have had luck finding Allen keys that fit the router blade hole and grinding the small end to the desired profile (as well as shaping the vertical shaft for smoother edges and a slightly reduced diameter for a good fit). The angled faces also provide a good bearing face for the set screw that comes in at an angle.

Allan Speers
10-16-2015, 4:03 PM
Will the Small Veritas fit? I suspect so (no, not the miniature version). It should be the same as you have. If so, then simply use a grinder to reduce the sides of the blade head to the size(s) you want.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Exactly what I was thinking, Derek. I'm just hoping someone can confirm this, for certain.

Well, it's not much money so I'll probably just get one and see for myself. I'll report back here either way.

Bill Houghton
10-16-2015, 6:13 PM
St. James Bay lists them: http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/, then follow the links through "Tools" and "Stanley Reproduction Plane Parts" to the list, then scroll down quite a ways.

The 271 has a groove along the length of the shank, into which the clamping screw fits to provide positive, non-twisting location of the cutter. It differs from the Lee Valley cutter that way. Not sure if diameter is the same. I'd see if St. James Bay has any in stock. You often have to call; if I recall correctly, the owner's not very good about answering his e-mails.

Allan Speers
10-16-2015, 8:45 PM
Thanks, Bill!

I need some other Stanley parts as well, so hopefully they can provide everything.