PDA

View Full Version : What do you do during winter months for spraying furniture

Scott Brandstetter
10-15-2015, 9:43 AM
I'm trying to decide where I am going to spray now that the weather is turning. I don't have room in the shop for a dedicated spray room. I'm thinking of adding a temporary structure that will line up with the garage door at the front of the shop (shop on lower level of house, garage door was installed initially to house tractor and lawn equipment). My thought is I could leave it up during the winter and when I need to use it open the garage door and away I go.

Anyone who has dealt with this in the past, I would appreciate your thoughts. Pic's would be great if you have them.

Mike Heidrick
10-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Here is my knock down booth made from insulation, Velcro, diy filter from furnace fan, rosen paper, workmate, and a diy lazy susan. The ideas came from the Spray Basics video and from ideas here and on WN.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/IMG_6326.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/IMG_6325.jpg

bill tindall
10-15-2015, 8:00 PM
I spray outside all year. In the winter I have the wood and finish at room temperature. Quick take it outside and shoot the lacquer or conversion varnish. It sure does flow out nice in the winter. When the solvent has flashed I move it inside to cure. Or, if you have a van it can be a greenhouse on a sunny day. It is a great place to dry furniture.

Peter Quinn
10-15-2015, 9:15 PM
I spray water based finishes in a basement shop, I have a knock down booth that has concrete walls on two sides and some plastic wrapped ladder frames on the other two with a door between for access, this gets covered with an old flannel sheet to act as a filter for the air that gets exchanged. A gable vent fan is the exhaust, furnace filter in front of it. Its about 55 degrees natural temp in the dead of winter, I use a kerosene heater and a few electric space heaters to bring it up to 70, which is about where water bornes flow out properly. You should have the wood and the finish all up to temp, the gun, everything. Its not fancy but it gets the job done. My house acts to buffer the make up air, so I don't leave exhaust fan going longer than necessary. Here's a few pics.

John TenEyck
10-15-2015, 9:49 PM
Similar to Peter, I spray shellac, dyes, and WB finishes in a temporary booth in my basement shop year round, which is heated to 65F in the Winter, 70F when I want to spray. The booth iss just 6 mil plastic hung from the floor joists. Takes 5 minutes to put up and folds up into a small rectangle to store between uses. Kraft construction paper on the floor to collect over spray. The key is exhaust. I use the fan from my 1400 CFM dust collector. I bypass the bags. I have a flexible hose from the back of the spray booth to the inlet of the DC and the outlet goes out a nearby window. No filters. They aren't needed with a DC fan. They just plug up anyway. I turn the boiler off while spraying because make up comes down the chimney as well as from the rest of the house. I can spray for an hour without the temp. going down more than a degree or so. Works great. Just to be clear, I would never spray solvent based finishes (besides shellac) with this arrangement.

John

mreza Salav
10-15-2015, 10:03 PM
I spray outside all year. In the winter I have the wood and finish at room temperature. Quick take it outside and shoot the lacquer or conversion varnish. It sure does flow out nice in the winter. When the solvent has flashed I move it inside to cure. Or, if you have a van it can be a greenhouse on a sunny day. It is a great place to dry furniture.

That wouldn't work in our climate as it does get to -30C (that is -22F) or colder.
OP: you can make knock-down spray booth as shown above, using a box fan and furnace filter above it.
Last year when doing the cabinets for our (under construction) house I built this booth as I had to spray inside in Jan. This is larger than my previous knock-down version and I used a much bigger fan instead.