PDA

View Full Version : If you have a lot of screws(I mean a lot) - how do you store them?

Mike Dowell
10-15-2015, 9:39 AM
I keep a ton of screws in my shop. I've got slotted flat heat wood screws sizes #4 - #17 in many, many lengths. If there's anyone else here that "stocks" screws like that, how do you keep them organized? I've got mine in multiple plastic compartment cases, but I'm thinking of building some sort of boxes or trays because I hate the plastic cases. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas, and I've looked on sites like Pinterest, but most of what I find on there are hobbyist types of setups, so they aren't talking about "stock" screws, but more just the plain idea of organizing screws and other small parts. I thought about building a simple shelf unit out of 2x4s. This unit could run the length of a wall, and the shelves would be 2' deep. I could then build trays which were compartmentalized, and they would pull out. So, I could have one tray that would have for example #8, #10, and #12 screws. Another would have #14-#17. Then, I could make the same thing, but on a smaller scale which would hold the smaller stuff - and that's just flat head screws...:eek:

What does your screw organization look like?

Prashun Patel
10-15-2015, 10:02 AM
I like the Talenti gelato jar solution.
The lids prevent spills, allow stacking, and make the containers portable. 1/2 of my screw usage is outside the shop anyway.

Malcolm McLeod
10-15-2015, 10:15 AM
I scored a metal card file cabinet free-for-the-hauling - - like a traditional file cabinet, but 10 drawers are shallow (4") x 36"D X ~14"W. Each screw/nail/bolt drawer gets a lift-out partitioned box with 3 x 3 compartments. Lift box out and take it with you as needed.

It is MASSIVELY HEAVY, so plan on suitable casters. Mine's on 6".

Steve Peterson
10-15-2015, 11:54 AM
I use the plastic drawer organizers. Most have the small trays, something like 6 wide and 10 tall. I have a few with larger drawers mixed in. A row of 6 cabinets sit on the back of a 12" wide shelf. 5 more sit in front on small trucks built using skate board bearings bolted into the corners of a 1x6 board. This gives me plenty of storage space in a minimal amount of room

I keep screws, batteries, electronic components, and many other things in them. It is nice to be able to move them around when you get another type of screw. It is also nice to be able to take the drawer with you while you work somewhere.

Steve

Jack Jackson
10-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Well I think I only keep about 1k-2k screws on hand... But I got the new Milwaukee organizer the other day and am really happy with it. I have about 1200 screws in it now and it's not full. You can literally drop the whole thing on the ground and everything stays in its place, which is usually the downside to these kinds of containers, the screws mix if they get turned over. The little cubbies are removable so you can take them to the work and they have little slots on the back so you can hang the cubbie on a screw head if needed, mount to a bench side, etc. Each one of the cubbies holds about 400 #8 1 1/2" screws for reference... and it also has longer ones to keep 3" and up fasteners. 2 of these would give you 24 different cups that hold anywhere from 100-500 screws depending on length... at least a couple thousand screws in each one and they're completely separated and portable. Best thing I've found for screw storage that's some sort of stationary cabinet type setup.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-10-Compartment-Deep-Pro-Organizer-Red-225046/205847797

Marty Tippin
10-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Grandpa used to save baby food jars, screw the lid to the underside of a shelf and screw the jars on and off the lid as needed...

I use the locking, stackable trays similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-BIN-6-Parts-Storage-Organizer/dp/B000HJD6N2 (smaller sizes are available)

Bruce Page
10-15-2015, 1:43 PM
I picked this up at the salvage yard. The drawers are 17" deep and hold a lot of screws.
It works well for me.

Yonak Hawkins
10-15-2015, 5:39 PM
My grandfather started this with three carousels. I expanded on the idea.

Mike Dowell
10-15-2015, 7:28 PM
Bruce - that's EXACTLY what I need! Except, 10 of them...:)

Yonak - that's a serious setup you have there.

All - I think my anal personality really gets in the way here. I like to have everything in my life uniform and neat. It's possible that the Marine Corps did that for me, but I can remember having a neat room as a child too. I was hoping someone here had a silver bullet which is why I asked. I think for now, I'll just keep using plastic organizers like Jack's. Those are cheap and easy to acquire. If anyone else has a nice setup, post a pic!

Bruce - what I wouldn't give for a small wall of those.... well, to be completely fair and honest, I'm not sure what I'd give.

Mike Dowell
10-15-2015, 7:30 PM
Hey Bruce - check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Durham-007-95-Rolled-Storage-Cabinet/dp/B006WQPLOG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1444951669&sr=8-5&keywords=metal+small+parts+storage+drawer 200 bucks!!!

Anthony Whitesell
10-15-2015, 9:34 PM
My plan/wintertime project is to build a series of "trays" to organize and hold small bottles (prescription pill bottles). The trays are of a shadow box design, with a layer of solid hardboard on the bottom and layer of hardboard on top with holes cut to stabilize/hold the bottles.

FYI. Home Depot and Lowe's stock a total of 367 different screws/sizes between #2 and #14 in round/flat/oval/hex heads, steel/brass, machine/wood/sheet metal screw; plus the washers and nuts for each. I know. I stood in the aisle and wrote then all down.

Greg R Bradley
10-15-2015, 9:38 PM
Hey Bruce - check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Durham-007-95-Rolled-Storage-Cabinet/dp/B006WQPLOG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1444951669&sr=8-5&keywords=metal+small+parts+storage+drawer 200 bucks!!!
That is pretty much what I did but paid much less. I've found some great deals on new that match used from the used places. It probably depends on your area and supply and demand. Amazon has a good deal on some items. Zorotools.com beats the heck out of them on others and sometime has a one day sale. Here is about half of mine for my personal hardware at home:
I added two more of the deeper units (18") as they hold bins of screws better. Compare the prices on Amazon and Zoro. Put the items you want from Zoro in your cart and ignore it. They will come back and offer you a discount to complete the transaction.

Items that fit in the removable drawer are items that are not needed daily but then you want to haul the entire drawer because you don't know exactly the size you need:
The cheap Stanley bins work well for some items:
along with more removable drawer units that didn't fit anywhere else.

I'm building a hardware storage to hold all of it - someday, that is......I'm actually thinking some common items that come in useful plastic tubs may best be left in those tubs for use. Home Depot, of all places, actually has some very useful sizes of GRK screws in bins that seem to be just about right to just leave in those bins.

Spending time to chase hardware is just silly. You need to have everything available in your shop or you will never get anything done.

David Hawxhurst
10-15-2015, 9:51 PM
i use bin from quantum tip out storage bins. they come in several sizes. the nice thing is that they are all the same width so the can stack. i'm thinking of building a roller cabinet that is deep enough to mount them on a slide so there will be several stacks on several slides in the cabinet.

Mel Fulks
10-15-2015, 10:26 PM
I use gator aid containers ,the plastic orange colored ,mix it yourself ones. The plastic cases with multiple adjascent bins all open at one time ....I have never seen work,always turn into a jumble. Sharpie markers work well on Gator aid jars and
tops. If you have to work with others you need to understand there are people who will not tolerate any sort of order and see any container with fewer than 10 or 12 different sized screws as a threat to their personal freedom. I worked for a guy whose extensive hardware holdings were a disaster. Over time I sorted everything on my own time,put all into marked GA containers with a sample wired to to the outside of container. That seemed to be an unsettling thing for him. He had never minded the mess but once all was in order he would walk over to me holding something and say like "are you sure this is a number 6 screw, doesn't look like it".

Bruce Page
10-15-2015, 11:05 PM
They're a lot cheaper at the salvage yard if you have one. I paid ~ $35 for mine IIRC. They had several of them but I only needed / had room for one. What is really nice is being able to just slide the drawer out of the cabinet and take it to the bench.

David Ragan
10-16-2015, 8:32 AM
I use somethign like this:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfApByYSLhALha30Ask-i8bkDc8cHZSL5ZT8tRlYYZrnewv2s4 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCM38kMX-xsgCFQE7Pgod8c4AAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F282179 35139247335%2F&psig=AFQjCNFYff2odka7ddzr_LhWJX-0reQBPA&ust=1445084773393024)

They are cheap @ BORG, made frames, hung with french cleat so they can be moved-Large boxes and overstocked is in larger storage area.

Keith Outten
10-16-2015, 8:53 AM
I use plastic oil cans on a 2 by 4 shelf above the garage doors. This is unused space normally and it keeps all of the storage cans in plain view.
I cut the top off of the cans and soak them in a large bin with detergent then rinse, the labels fall off after a couple days of soak time and I use a grease pencil to write on the cans which is easy to remove when necessary.

Chris Padilla
10-16-2015, 12:30 PM
My screws are all stored at Lowe's and Home Depot. ;)

I don't have as many as you guys but I did buy several sizes in one fell swoop from Grizzly many many years ago. They came in some nice cardboard boxes and I just keep refilling them.

Stan Krupowies
10-16-2015, 4:18 PM
I think I might have copied this from another Creeker but it works pretty well for me.

I use these (http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-4-Piece-TakeAlongs-Container-Sandwich/dp/B000VU7W8C/ref=pd_sim_79_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AG040FYKAZBAKSRRCPZ) for the boxes

Stan

Brian Holcombe
10-16-2015, 4:37 PM
Problem solved???

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/39/74/ca397414984989939460b224e36b7f76.jpg

Mike Dowell
10-16-2015, 6:55 PM
Problem solved???

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/39/74/ca397414984989939460b224e36b7f76.jpg

Now that's just funny.

Man, there are so many different ideas here - I love it! Ultimately, what would work best are those metal drawers Greg has. but those are HUGE money! I think I'm just going to make a few trays, and put those yellow Stanley cups inside them. simple.

Bill Adamsen
10-16-2015, 7:25 PM
Partition filled drawers.

Mike Dowell
10-16-2015, 8:07 PM
EUREKA! That's it! That's precisely what I was thinking in my pea-sized mind! Where did you get all thoselittle red dishes?

Bill Adamsen
10-16-2015, 8:41 PM
rmschaller (http://www.ebay.com/usr/rmschaller) on ebay

Jon Nuckles
10-16-2015, 9:57 PM
I don't have as many to store as most of you, it seems. This drawer holds most of mine. The rest are in cheap plastic units screwed to the wall.

Brian Deakin
10-17-2015, 4:59 AM
I am a pharmacist and live in the United Kingdom I use empty manufacturers stock containers used to store dispensary stock medicines

You could ask you local pharmacy to save them for you

To remove the lables from the container,do not wet them Carefully pour hot water into the containers ,this will melt the adhesive and allow you to peel off the label If there is a residue of glue remove this with a solvent eg Petrol

Jason Roehl
10-17-2015, 7:59 AM
I use plastic oil cans on a 2 by 4 shelf above the garage doors. This is unused space normally and it keeps all of the storage cans in plain view.
I cut the top off of the cans and soak them in a large bin with detergent then rinse, the labels fall off after a couple days of soak time and I use a grease pencil to write on the cans which is easy to remove when necessary.

Pennzoil, eh? ;)

Keith Outten
10-17-2015, 8:00 AM
Brian,

Can you provide a picture of the stock containers?

Keith Outten
10-17-2015, 8:12 AM
Jason,

I used to use Pennzoil for all my vehicles and yard machines in the old days so I have about 60 feet of their oil cans on shelves in two shops. Three decades ago I was able to acquire new fasteners in five gallon buckets from a scrap yard at a project where I was working which is why I have so many containers. I had to find a way to organize a lot of fasteners and do it for cheap :)

For bulk storage I use the large blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans and in some cases I still use five gallon buckets. Sadly over the years my inventory of fasteners has decreased and I have to purchase them more and more these days.
I do store more than fasteners though, the oil cans work well for wooden plugs, hinges, staples, screw inserts, etc,etc.

glenn bradley
10-17-2015, 9:19 AM
I am not a production shop and have no need to have more than a few screws at my fingertips at any given time. If you have a large quantity I would set out a small quantity to have immediately available and store the rest somewhere out of the primary work area; in a shed, in the rafters, under the bed in the guest bedroom.

I use a Plano Stowaway box as the building block for my storage. Lowe's carried one similar to this (http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/products/185-3700-adjustable-compartment-pro-latch-stowaway.aspx) and I bought a boat-load when they clearanced them out. The point is, I don't need 500 screws of each type cluttering up my work area. I need a few on hand and the rest are stored as "supplies" somewhere out of my precious shop space ;-)

Brian Tymchak
10-20-2015, 8:32 AM

Bill, Very nice! I want to do something similar. What is your source for the bins?

Thanks, Brian

Wesley Hamstra
10-20-2015, 7:36 PM
My drawer for screws/nails is a horrible mess. I need to do something about it soon!

Yonak Hawkins
10-20-2015, 10:58 PM
It's said to be motivational to express your goals to another party. ..So I'd say you're headed in the right direction.

Prashun Patel
10-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Actually, I heard the exact opposite. There's a school of thought that announcing the goal evokes approval from an audience that satiates the need to actually pursue the goal. Instead it's supposed to be better to announce intention without a goal (instead of "I'm running the NY marathon", say "I'm going to get in better shape".)

I think I just heard that on a Ted Talk or some podcast.
I'm now motivated to go find out where I heard that. Aw, forget it. I'm going to get a donut instead.

Charles Taylor
10-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Actually, I heard the exact opposite. There's a school of thought that announcing the goal evokes approval from an audience that satiates the need to actually pursue the goal. Instead it's supposed to be better to announce intention without a goal (instead of "I'm running the NY marathon", say "I'm going to get in better shape".)

I think I just heard that on a Ted Talk or some podcast.
I'm now motivated to go find out where I heard that. Aw, forget it. I'm going to get a donut instead.

Mmm, donuts.
-- Homer Simpson

Stan Krupowies
10-22-2015, 6:30 AM
Mmm, donuts.
-- Homer Simpson

Personally I prefer Homer's other quote - "Mmmmm, BEER"

Yonak Hawkins
10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Actually, I heard the exact opposite. There's a school of thought that announcing the goal evokes approval from an audience that satiates the need to actually pursue the goal.

Interesting ... Of course, the test will be when Wesley reports back as to whether he did it or not.

Meanwhile, sounds great, Wesley. Go for it !

Alan Lightstone
10-22-2015, 7:02 PM
I like the Talenti gelato jar solution.

Wow, Prashun. That's a lot of gelato.

I made mdf dividers on multiple drawers I built in a wall hanging cabinet. Allows me significant screw, bolt, and nut storage.

Brian Henderson
10-23-2015, 2:12 AM
I tend to buy in bulk. Just today, I needed 8 #10 2-inch machine bolts so I bought 100 of them, just on the off-chance that I'll need them again and won't have to run to the hardware store. I've taken to hoarding glass spaghetti jars, I shelved an interior wall between the studs and I can have all of the jars lined up and labeled so I know what I have and what I need. Growing up, my dad just had plastic jars filled with every kind of screw and bolt and it drove me crazy because I'd have to hunt for things. I just buy boxes and dump them into jars and stick them on the wall.

Lornie McCullough
10-25-2015, 11:11 PM
I like the Durham drawers Glen Bradley has, and Harbor Freight used to sell a version of them, but now I can only find them on Amazon.

I build these for nails, screws, etc.:

Lornie

Lee Ludden
10-26-2015, 12:58 AM
I picked up some of the Durham cabinets from Zorotools last year on their Black Friday sale. Free shipping and I think 30% off.

Lee Ludden
10-26-2015, 1:01 AM
EUREKA! That's it! That's precisely what I was thinking in my pea-sized mind! Where did you get all thoselittle red dishes?

You can get them directly. http://www.schallercorporation.com/plastic-boxes/