PDA

View Full Version : Good contrast woods for a cutting board?

Wade Lippman
10-14-2015, 2:59 PM
I made a woven like end grain cutting board out of maple, cherry, and walnut about 6 years ago. I have always wanted to make a better one, and I guess tomorrow is the day.
I have come up with a better design and will use wenge for the dark wood instead of walnut.

Is there a whiter readily available wood than maple? Beech? Birch?
I am thinking about either walnut or mahogany instead of cherry for the middle wood. The wenge is so dark, maybe cherry is too light. Any opinions?

Ellery Becnel
10-14-2015, 3:19 PM
Wade,
I Have used European/German Beech as well as Maple in my end grain boards. It is not quite as hard as maple. It machines very well. a good alternative, or in addition to Maple.
It is about the same as Maple as for as lighter in color. Beech is also a little less expensive than Maple.
I also find that Cherry and Mahogany are in the middle of the contrasting color scheme. When I orient Cherry and Mahogany in a cutting board I try to put a Walnut, Purple Heart,
Jarrah, or Yellow Heart on either side of these two woods. I find that they can be used as a light or dark wood, depending what wood is on either side. Sorry if it sounds confusing.
I have never used Wenge, can not comment on that wood. The Wood Database is a very good website to get info on woods that you can use, it has been very helpful to me.

Ellery Becnel

Ellery Becnel
10-14-2015, 3:32 PM
These are two that I have done

Barry McFadden
10-14-2015, 6:23 PM
Holly is a very white wood...don't know about the availability in your area...