PDA

View Full Version : Learn to hide your mistakes

Daniel Rode
10-14-2015, 1:41 PM
Great article from Joshua Klein (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/dawks-at-the-yale-furniture-study) regarding imperfections in historic woodworking.

The cost of quality wood continues to rise. Combine the value of the wood with the effort that goes into hand tool work and it's painful to discard a piece with a non-structural flaw. I struggle to leave flaws, even hidden flaws. I want every inch to be perfect (I never come close) but the more I study historic furniture the more I realize that these craftsmen were pragmatic and efficient. For most this was a job, not a spiritual calling or a deeply artistic expression.

Reinis Kanders
10-14-2015, 1:59 PM
I just call them features and do not even hide them:)

Jim Koepke
10-14-2015, 2:02 PM
It struggle to leave flaws, even hidden flaws. I want every inch to be perfect (I never come close) but the more I study historic furniture the more I realize that these craftsmen were pragmatic and efficient. For most this was a job, not a spiritual calling or a deeply artistic expression.

Being their day job, they couldn't just stop at a challenging moment, pop open a cold one and watch the tube to chill.

Often said is the old adage, "the difference between a professional and an amateur is how they handle their mistakes."

One of my current projects is still mostly in the mind stage. My procrastination involves the slot for the bottom of a box. Should the slot be hidden to the outside behind a half blind dovetail, through dovetails and a plug or a stopped slot?

Sometimes a flaw displayed front and center can be a feature.

And then this popped up after I hit the post button:

I just call them features and do not even hide them:)

jtk

Bob Glenn
10-14-2015, 2:20 PM
I too struggle with little flaws and mistakes that find their way into my projects. However, I found, or maybe convinced myself, that if I don't point them out, no one will ever notice. I recall a snippet in PW or FWW a while back, poking fun at the propensity of woodworkers to point out their mistakes with in seconds of showing off their prize!