PDA

View Full Version : Epilog motherboards

Boyd Godfrey
10-14-2015, 1:15 PM
I purchased a used Epilog Legend 24TT about a year ago, except for a slow to start laser it has been working pretty well for us until recently. I had a shutdown about 80% of the way through a half hour job and now I can't restart the unit. I suspect a motherboard failure as apparently it's not an uncommon issue with some older Epilogs. I can't stomach the thought of shelling out close to $1500. for a new board, especially when considering the current exchange rate of our Canadian peso. Wondering if anybody knows who might do repairs on these units or supply aftermarket boards?
Thanks if you can advise! - Boyd

Joe Pelonio
10-14-2015, 9:49 PM
I have the same unit, the "slow to start" is typical when unused for several days, as it has no "tickle" feature like later models. Run a vector line first and it will start a lot faster than engraving. Are you getting any kind of reaction to turning it o at all? Is the screen lit up, or is everything totally dead? I wonder if it could be the power supply, probably a cheaper repair. I have the original mother, no problems with it and bought it new in 2004. I know a guy with an even older 32 dual head, and his mother board has been fine, but his power supply did go out a few years ago and it acted as if unplugged.

Boyd Godfrey
10-18-2015, 9:57 PM
Joe as far as I can tell I'm getting power; I have the case open and see that some of the LEDs on the board etc. are lit. I'm getting backlighting to the LCD display but no text is showing. - Boyd

Jeanette Brewer
10-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Boyd,

Have you checked with tech support? (303)215-9171 tech@epiloglaser.com

Boyd Godfrey
10-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Boyd,

Have you checked with tech support? (303)215-9171 tech@epiloglaser.com

Thanks Jean and yes I have.
They were as helpful as possible but supposedly the issue can't be confirmed without testing but they did sound like they suspected the motherboard. - Boyd

Joe Pelonio
10-19-2015, 8:23 PM
Yes, I'm afraid it does sound like the motherboard. You could pull it, send it to them to test, and if it needs replacing bite the financial bullet. Unfortunately there are not many, if any local Epilog techs that can come to you and I don't know of any other source. Most of their parts are proprietary.

Boyd Godfrey
10-19-2015, 11:34 PM
'Fraid the Epilog will become a very large paperweight for the forseeable future. We're not dependent on it for income in any way so I have a very hard time justifying the kind of money Epilog wants for a new board for what is mostly a hobby machine.

tadici mihai
12-25-2015, 5:13 AM
i know thread is old... but still...
how much did they asked for the motherboard?
mine died yesterday becouse i forgot a screwdriver on the table when i powered on the machine... the head got stuck in the screwdriver during initialization, then started to smell like burned plastics... it was a matter of 3-4 seconds before realise what happend and turn the power off...
after a visual inspection, i got to motherboard and seen the servo controlers fried... found them online and waiting for them to arrive 27-28 december... i will update my progress, but if can't fix by myself, i wanna know at what prices should i expect for a new mother board...
thx and good luck with yours