View Full Version : Laminating a curved stair rail

phil harold
10-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Going to bend a gentle curved handrail tomorrow
Be the second one I have done, last one was twenty three years ago
Any tips advice will be appreciated

Edward Oleen
10-13-2015, 10:40 PM
The Normster did one. I don't remember just when, but...

John TenEyck
10-13-2015, 10:56 PM
I did several curved 10 foot sections a few years ago from 1/4" thick laminations. I made a built up plywood form to bend them against. I used Plastic Resin Glue and applied it with a roller. I added two backer layers over the 10 laminations and used an F-clamp about every 6 - 8", working from the center outwards to each end. I had to work quickly to get it all clamped up within the allowable open time of the glue, but they all came out great.

John

mreza Salav
10-13-2015, 11:04 PM
I did one for our house less than a year ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?217053-Stair-railing-and-posts&highlight=
Was my first time. Two long runs were 16' laminations. I made L brackets out of plywood and screwed to the floor to which the rail was clamped.
I used epoxy (west system). It is messy but works great IMO and gives you lots of time if you working solo (which I was). I used about one clamp every 3" or so.

Ken Grant
10-14-2015, 12:00 AM
Wow there are really too many things to write in one post...is this on a flat or stairs? Did you buy bending rail or are you making your own? I have only used yellow glues, but I am sure epoxy would work great if used correctly, I just don't have any experience with it.
You can buy Titebond Extend, which has a longer open time. Depending on the rail width and radius you may get a little springback. You will need to have your ducks in a row and it would really help to have an extra set of hands to spread glue and put on clamps. Hope it goes well for you!

phil harold
10-14-2015, 7:18 PM
Went good
Dry run first
Aligned to the outside of wall
large L brackets
titebond three
will remove clamps thursday or friday323378

Dave Zellers
10-14-2015, 7:54 PM
I'd wait until at least Friday. You want the glue completely set to avoid any spring back. However that is a pretty gentle curve.