PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Laser Repair!

Paul Phillips
10-13-2015, 4:32 PM
I just wanted to update from a thread I started a few weeks ago regarding the 72% price increase for ULS laser tubes jumping from $1250 to $2150 for a refurbished tube. I went ahead and tried www.evergreenlaser.com
I spoke to the owner Phil who seemed like a nice enough guy who believes in offering a reasonably priced service, he says "I'm surprised universal has gone up so much. I work my pricing structure as time, material and labor. For 34 years I have always tried to be fair and take the black magic out of lasers. It also explains why I am receiving a large influx of ULS 50/60 and ULR 60's".
He quoted me $750 for a tube recharge, for almost 1/3 the cost of ULS I decided that was very reasonable so I sent the tube in, it took about 2 weeks for him to complete the work and send it back, the only down side I can see is that not everyone has a dual tube machine like I do so a two week turn around may be to long of a wait, but for those who have the time and would rather save the money I think this seems like a great service! I hope this info can be a help to someone!
OG thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?235457-ULS-laser-prices-just-jumped!

Scott Shepherd
10-13-2015, 4:37 PM
Thanks for the update Paul. That's exactly what we said would happen, didn't we? Now ULS has lost a customer. Nice policy there, huh? Amazing.

Kev Williams
10-13-2015, 4:41 PM
It is amazing. Bean counter mentality just doesn't work sometimes: Not only did they shoot themselves in the foot, they now have less money for bullets for the next time...

Bill George
10-13-2015, 4:59 PM
So is the new - recharged tube from Evergreen working ok? If so I am putting them on my list.

Paul Phillips
10-13-2015, 5:47 PM
It is amazing. Bean counter mentality just doesn't work sometimes: Not only did they shoot themselves in the foot, they now have less money for bullets for the next time...
I know right? If it was an incremental increase instead of a 72% jump I probably wouldn't have been shocked into looking elsewhere!

So is the new - recharged tube from Evergreen working ok? If so I am putting them on my list.
It is on it's way, i will confirm when I get in and running.

Paul Phillips
10-14-2015, 4:15 PM
FWIW, I asked them if they stock refurbished tubes, their reply- "We refurbish all kinds of tubes, Coherent, Epilog, Universal and Synrads and our stock varies constantly so the best way to approach this is to contact us directly and see what we have available."
Might be worth a try for some of those looking for a good price on a refurbished western made tube!

Mike Null
10-15-2015, 8:38 AM
I'll be interested in seeing your results. I admit to being skeptical as I've been in the business nearly 20 years and this is the first time I've heard of "the industry leader in laser repair".

Darren Wilson
10-20-2015, 2:04 AM
Hello,
I've gone with an outright purchase of Coherent C70 from Evergreen. Should be here next week. Cost was just over half what Aflex (Epilog Dist in AU) wanted for replacement. Once installed I plan to send out my old tube to Evergreen for regas/repair. I'll have two tubes and still be money ahead. Phil was great to deal with answered all my questions and was very patient with me. Will post how we go.

Paul Phillips
10-21-2015, 7:42 PM
So just wanted to update anyone interested to let you know that I received the repaired 60 watt tube back from www.evergreenlaser.com , got it plugged in and seems to be working fine, it had a list of test fires on it topping out at 73 watts at 100%. Total cost was $750! (I paid for ground shipping both ways) A very reasonable price IMO. I will keep this thread updated if there are any changes, but so far I would say I highly recommend Evergreen laser.

Darren Wilson
10-24-2015, 7:41 AM
Great news Paul, I look forward to my parcel.

Jeff Belany
10-27-2015, 2:30 PM
You may want to reconsider having your tube recharged right away. The way I understand it (explained by Epilog dealer) is that tubes don't store well. You would be better off using your new tube until it begins to degrade, than send the old tube in for repair/recharge. That way when you tube goes, you'll have a fresh one ready. Won't help if your tube dies suddenly but they usually don't.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Paul Phillips
10-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Hi Darren, thanks for keeping us updated, great to know that they sell tubes as well, what a great find! I hope it all works out for you. If you haven't already sent the old tube you may want to take Jeff's advice and wait a bit before you have it repaired, if not, you can always switch them out periodically so one doesn't sit for too long.

Darren Wilson
10-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Hi Paul and Jeff,

Thanks for the tip. Speaking to Phil from Evergreen, he suggested the same, wait about a year get my current tube serviced then swap them out periodically. My tube is currently held in customs should have it Monday. :)

Darren Wilson
11-10-2015, 4:26 AM
Just quick update, I received my laser from Evergreen Last week, very pleased. Installed and up and running in half a day. The performance is incredible truly night and day. Beautiful engraving at 100% speed.

matt zabel
10-05-2018, 3:22 PM
Hi all - in the same boat here. Need a new/recharged tube for an older ULS m-360 60 watt. ULS is $2200 with a 2 week backorder and Evergreen is $850 with 1-2 week turnaround. I wanted to check and confirm that you who have gone with Evergreen are still satisfied with the experience? If others have found new alternatives, I'd love to hear those too. Of course this happens in the middle of our biggest job of the year...! Thanks!!

Mike Null
10-05-2018, 3:28 PM
Matt
As it stands right now it appears that Evergreen is the place to go.

Tom Dabney
01-04-2020, 1:02 PM
I would be interested in hearing on how long the laser tube refills lasted.
I had Bell Lasers (2laser.com) refill by M300 30W in July 2016 ($750) and now (Nov/Dec 2019) it limped into 2020 requiring 2-3 passes to cut basic 1/8" acrylic. So i would say the tube lasted 3 years. My tubes from ULS lasted at least 6 years each.
I replaced the optics because I couldn't believe the tube would have only lasted 3 years; well the optics were fine.

I was going to try evergreen this time, but would love to hear how long the tubes lasted and if you reused the company to recharge.
Happy New Year!
Tom

Dave Sheldrake
01-04-2020, 4:04 PM
I know Phil & Jean Fostini (EverGreen) personally. Without any doubt at all I would say they are the leaders in laser technology when it comes to anything other than the massive companies like Trumpf and Mitsubishi. Their technical knowledge would put them in the top 50 people in the world in my opinion.

There is probably a dozen people in the world I go to when I need core information. Phil and Jean are two of them.

David DiPietro
01-09-2020, 1:32 PM
I have used Evergreen and everything they did was spot on. Very knowledgeable and kind.

I just wanted to update from a thread I started a few weeks ago regarding the 72% price increase for ULS laser tubes jumping from $1250 to $2150 for a refurbished tube. I went ahead and tried www.evergreenlaser.com (http://www.evergreenlaser.com)
I spoke to the owner Phil who seemed like a nice enough guy who believes in offering a reasonably priced service, he says "I'm surprised universal has gone up so much. I work my pricing structure as time, material and labor. For 34 years I have always tried to be fair and take the black magic out of lasers. It also explains why I am receiving a large influx of ULS 50/60 and ULR 60's".
He quoted me $750 for a tube recharge, for almost 1/3 the cost of ULS I decided that was very reasonable so I sent the tube in, it took about 2 weeks for him to complete the work and send it back, the only down side I can see is that not everyone has a dual tube machine like I do so a two week turn around may be to long of a wait, but for those who have the time and would rather save the money I think this seems like a great service! I hope this info can be a help to someone!
OG thread:

Matteo Alberti
01-08-2021, 12:08 PM
Hi to all!
I'm Matteo and I'm from Italy.
On 23rd September i sent my laser to Evergreen, after 3 months i havent' news from they..i sent a lot of email with no answer, i called they on 30th November and they told me that their head tech has been suffering from some medical issues recently which have prevented timely tube processing. It may still be a while longer for your tube.
Have you some more info regarding that? They are still reliable?
I'm a little bit worried for my laser, i'm working with that

Steve Morris
01-09-2021, 9:27 AM
Hi all, is there a recommendation for reputable company for regas and repair for Iradion 154F (Trotec) tubes in the UK?
Seems not to need a regas but won't fire unless I keep it quite warm, looks like a component in the tube electronics has got temperature sensitive, quite capable of repairing it but can't find any details on the circuitry so loathe to just have a go with something this expensive to screw up.

Steve Morris
06-21-2022, 11:50 AM
Was hoping for a reply but I guess I'll have to look elsewhere....

Kev Williams
06-21-2022, 1:28 PM
Your first post was a near a year and a half ago, I didn't answer then as I know zilch about repairs other than Evergreen as noted above-

As to your laser not firing unless warm- That's a sign of a 'tired' tube but not necessarily a 'done' tube. I have a 2005 GCC Explorer with the original 30w Synrad tube, I bought it used in 2014 and it was doing 'lazy startup' thing when I got it! Still does to this day! Not always, just when it feels like it. My 40w Synrad Gravograph LS900 did it for years too, but I had the tube repaired about 2 years ago, something bad went in the electronics. I got it back with 10 less watts, was told likely due to burnt mirrors within the tube, and at the time Evergreen's mirror supplier was sending them crap and advised me to not spend the extra money just yet, so I didn't. It works well enough for my needs with the 31w output it has now. HOWEVER-- at time, especially when I'm running low power, like test-marking tape, the laser will take a few seconds before it fires. My fix is simply to start the laser 'dry' to make sure it's firing before I put the parts in.

I also know zilch about Trotec lasers, but I believe, like Gravograph, that they have a 'tickle' setting (that's what Ggraph calls it anyway) that occasionally fires the laser just to keep it warm. My GCC has no such setting, could be why it occasionally takes a bit to fire. I've never played with the tickle settings on my Gravograph lasers.

IF your laser is otherwise working okay, try my 'fix', just send something at full power and run it on some scrap until it fires, then get back to making money ;)

M. Scott Peterson
08-01-2022, 4:15 PM
I am looking for someone to repair my Synrad SH and DH type 2 axis scanning laser heads. I have several non functioning ones now, one or the other of the scanning motors go bad, or seem sticky. Mfr date 1999, model DH3-125CH/528.
Thanks for any help.

Bill George
08-01-2022, 6:45 PM
I am looking for someone to repair my Synrad SH and DH type 2 axis scanning laser heads. I have several non functioning ones now, one or the other of the scanning motors go bad, or seem sticky. Mfr date 1999, model DH3-125CH/528.
Thanks for any help.

Member since 2012 and first post on a old Thread. You would get more attention starting your own Thread.

lucian coman
11-16-2023, 12:44 PM
I just wanted to update from a thread I started a few weeks ago regarding the 72% price increase for ULS laser tubes jumping from $1250 to $2150 for a refurbished tube. I went ahead and tried www.evergreenlaser.com (http://www.evergreenlaser.com)
OG thread:
You are lucky, I have my tube with Evergreen for 2 months now, and they do not answer emails for weeks.
When I called was a lady what always find new reasons, and reasons do not match with the previous ones, and so on.
Not the way to do business at all, very dodgy.