PDA

View Full Version : Verizon DSL 15 Mbps price

Clarence Martin
10-12-2015, 11:56 PM
I know cable is the way to go, but DSL is here now., For those that have it, or know the cost, what does Verizon's 15Mbps DSL cost per month ? They show $29.95 on their website, but not sure which plan that is for.

Brian Henderson
10-13-2015, 1:35 AM
No, cable isn't the way to go, fiber is the way to go. It is much faster, much more reliable and less likely to have outages. I checked Verizon's website (http://www.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/), the only thing they listed at $29.95 was 7.1/1 and that depends on how far out you are. Considering I'm getting 100/100 on FiOS and could go higher if I want, regardless of where I'm located, I'd rather shoot myself than ever go back to something so slow. Check FiOS. You'll never regret it.

Larry Frank
10-13-2015, 7:36 AM
I have DSL and is plenty fast for us. We can easily download movies to watch and anything else. Like anything else, you need to figure out what you are going to do with it. Do you need the fastest possible connection or do you want to be able to say you have the best possible.

Duane Meadows
10-13-2015, 8:01 AM
[QUOTE=Brian Henderson;2478500.... Considering I'm getting 100/100 on FiOS and could go higher if I want, regardless of where I'm located...[/QUOTE]

Not available here. Wish it were, but "regardless of where I'm located"... not so much! Guess I'll stick with cable.

Curt Harms
10-13-2015, 9:29 AM
Is that offered at your address? If you haven't done so, you need to go to Verizon's web site and enter your address to check what services are offered. At one time Verizon was trying to move people off DSL to either FiOS or wireless internet. They had an unadvertised low speed FiOS internet only offering - DSL speeds for DSL prices using their fiber optic network. They were/are trying to get away from copper lines - and the Union workforce that maintains them supposedly.

http://www.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/

Bert Kemp
10-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Wow you guys are Lucky. I only have 3 options none of them good.

DSL 3.2 mbps $49.99 a mo. Unlimited

Wireless 12 mbps $59.99 a mo. Limited and contract, has more options but price goes up.

Satellite 5 mbps 39.99 a mo very limited and contract.has more options but prices increase.:eek::(

Mark Patoka
10-13-2015, 10:49 AM
I've had Verizon DSL for the 13 years we lived in this house, 1 Mbps. They just installed FiOS this summer in our neighborhood so my DSL is being discontinued. I had the 50/50 FiOS internet installed yesterday. They only other option was Comcast cable but their price was still higher than Verizon and am paying ~$46/month which is their online price. Haven't tested it too much yet but did notice that streaming video loads much quicker.

Around here most people seem to complain about the Comcast cable internet, particularly connectivity and reliability.

Greg R Bradley
10-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Internet services vary tremendously by area and your specific location. When checking a provider, you normally need your specific address. Someone across the street could have completely different services available if they aren't connecting to the same lines as you.

ADSL, which is what Verizon uses everywhere I've seen, is also distance dependent. You pay for a certain maximum speed. If they have 15mbps available and you are close enough to get that speed, it can work very well.

Brian Henderson
10-13-2015, 2:07 PM
Not available here. Wish it were, but "regardless of where I'm located"... not so much! Guess I'll stick with cable.

You get DSL speeds based on where you are located in relation to their hubs. The farther away, the slower the speed you get. With FiOS, it doesn't matter, you get the same speed regardless. It also depends on the condition of the copper between you and the hubs, if it's degraded, as it was when I had DSL, you'll get crappy service.

Stephen Tashiro
10-13-2015, 2:24 PM
I have DSL and is plenty fast for us.

As a technicality, do you have DSL or ADSL ?

Mike Henderson
10-13-2015, 2:35 PM
As a technicality, do you have DSL or ADSL ?

As used in the communications industry, DSL would refer to any flavor of Digital Subscriber Line technology. And digital subscriber line technology is a modem technology using the band of frequencies above the voice band and extending to 1 MHz (and beyond nowdays). ADSL is a specific flavor of DSL, being asymmetric DSL, with higher speed to the customer (downstream) and lower speed from the customer (upstream).

There are symmetric DSL technologies but they are mostly used for provisioning business customers.

Mike

Matt Meiser
10-13-2015, 4:03 PM
Internet services vary tremendously by area and your specific location. When checking a provider, you normally need your specific address. Someone across the street could have completely different services available if they aren't connecting to the same lines as you.

ADSL, which is what Verizon uses everywhere I've seen, is also distance dependent. You pay for a certain maximum speed. If they have 15mbps available and you are close enough to get that speed, it can work very well.

We looked at a house in our subdivion toward the front. ATT showed 45mbps U-verse available there. The house we bought at the back...18mbps. Phone switch is up front. Not that it matters since Charter offers 60mbps cable and Comcast offers 125mbps cable (which is what I went with.)

Brian Elfert
10-16-2015, 4:08 PM
We looked at a house in our subdivion toward the front. ATT showed 45mbps U-verse available there. The house we bought at the back...18mbps. Phone switch is up front. Not that it matters since Charter offers 60mbps cable and Comcast offers 125mbps cable (which is what I went with.)

You actually have a choice of cable providers?? I can have any cable provider I want as long as it is Comcast.

Tony De Masi
10-16-2015, 4:42 PM
I can have any provider I want as long as it's satellite, which offers fairly limited choices. Phone company does not offer DSL to me, but my next door neighbor has it, although at a whopping 1.5 download speed. Comcast is still three miles away with no future plans to come closer to me. Yes, I live in the country.

Mark Blatter
10-16-2015, 7:58 PM
We had Comcast at 40 MBps as I recall, but they kept raising the price from $40 to $50 to $65 and we said No Mas. We canceled and went with a local wireless service at 4 MBps, for $25. Yeah they have outages at times when the weather is bad, but I can live with the speed and the price is right. Even when Google fiber is available, some time in the next year or two I have heard, I won't switch as I believe it will be 100 for $100. I am simply too cheap.

Matt Meiser
10-16-2015, 8:49 PM
You actually have a choice of cable providers?? I can have any cable provider I want as long as it is Comcast.

Yeah, kind of an odd situation but we have 3 wired providers. That was one of the things that moved this sub up our our list, or at least from my point of view. We do DirecTV for TV though.

Brian Elfert
10-16-2015, 9:02 PM
Yeah, kind of an odd situation but we have 3 wired providers. That was one of the things that moved this sub up our our list, or at least from my point of view. We do DirecTV for TV though.

I am more impressed by having a choice in wired cable TV providers. I can get Internet from either Comcast or Centurylink, but no option besides Comcast for wired cable TV. I use Comcast for Internet because the bundle of Internet/cable TV is cheaper and the Internet just works.

Jim Becker
10-19-2015, 9:20 PM
Clarence, it's hard to say if that's the going rate for 15Mbs DSL where you are or even if you can actually get 15Mbs DSL where you live. As has been noted, DSL technologies have distance limitations relative to how far your home is from the CO where the DSLAM (DSL concentrator, as it were) and that's not "as the crow flies" but rather by wireline distance and what gage wire your signal needs to traverse. Age of the lines can affect speed, too. The best way to see what's available to you at your specific address is to go to the Verizon web site and put in your service address/phone number in western NY. Once it does a little thinking, the site should return with services available to you and what the rate will be .(sans taxes, of course) I seem to remember paying about $49 for 7Mbps DSL when I still had that a number of years ago prior to FiOS becoming available, but they may ask less for it at this point.

Matt Meiser
10-19-2015, 9:23 PM
I am more impressed by having a choice in wired cable TV providers. I can get Internet from either Comcast or Centurylink, but no option besides Comcast for wired cable TV. I use Comcast for Internet because the bundle of Internet/cable TV is cheaper and the Internet just works.

ATT has TV with U-Verse...all three offer phone, Internet and TV.