PDA

View Full Version : 10 inch blades for track saw

Garth Keel
10-12-2015, 7:58 PM
I have an E-Z smart track saw system and I am going to change to a 10 inch circular saw from an 8". I will ask on a track saw site but I wanted to see if I could get an answer here. Question: Can a thin kerf 10" blade be used in a track saw system?

George Bokros
10-12-2015, 8:13 PM
I believe EZSmart has a base that will work with a 10"blade

Allan Speers
10-12-2015, 9:35 PM
Yes. I use the Makita 5104. It fits perfectly on the current medium Moduni base. (You don't need the large Moduni.)

The only issue with any blade's kerf is if you use multiple blades and they have DIFFERENT kerfs. Then, of course, you either have to swap inserts (a massively royal PITA, and I just never do it) or live with a slight gap on the outside of the thinnest blade you use.
This doesn't bother me, since I mostly cut with the finished piece on the inside, and also because even with that tiny gap, there is still some chip prevention on the outside, and last because it's STILL miles better than what a tablesaw offers, which is NO chip-prevention.

It's a fantastic saw, BTW. Very accurate, and gallons of torque due to the low RPM and the way the gearing was designed. A bit heavy, though. I use my on an EZ-ONE table so the weight is actually an advantage. For sheet goods and such, on my regular smart-table, I still use my 7 1/4" Hilti.

At some point, I will have all my CS blades the exact same kerf, and then I'll replace my base's insert, but this is not some burning need. Not at all.

Also note: If you go to the Carbide Processors site, you will be able to find quality 10" blades in a number of kerfs, some which could be considered "semi-thin." I can't recall what I have right now, but I believe it falls into that latter category. I wouldn't want to use a super-thin blade for serious cuts, unless I intended to cut large and re-mill (hand plane, etc) afterwards. (Which I often do.) With a super-thin blade, I'd be looking to see if a blade stiffener could fit on the arbor, and not take away too much cut-depth.

Allan Speers
10-12-2015, 9:48 PM
BTW, Garth:

Is that actually you in your avatar, or has Jeffery Tambor taken up woodworking?

Garth Keel
10-13-2015, 1:35 AM
my avatar. I hope no on else has the misfortune to look like me!

Thanks for the info. I knew SC would have the answer.

Allan Speers
10-15-2015, 7:03 PM
I dunno, man.

I think your family and the Tambors might have had the same milkman! :eek:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31826742/Jeffery%20Tambor%20%26%20Garth.jpg