PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly GO609x sound question

casey herring
10-11-2015, 9:49 PM
tomorrow I will be purchasing the 12" grizzly jointer with either the Grizzly spiral head or buying the strait knife version and getting the Byrd head. the decision is ultimately hinging on how quiet the Grizzly head is VS the Byrd head. I have the Powermatic PM209hh with Byrd head and it is so stinking quiet that I really can imagine keeping my current strait knife jointer for much longer (Jet JJP-12)

that said the price for both is about the same. and I have read a few past threads that most consumers think that the end surface after running through either the byrd or the grizzly head are about the same. So, as silly as it may seem I really think that noise is going to be the decider. So if anybody has any input or first hand knowledge that they think I would benefit from I would love to hear it!

thanks so much

David Helm
10-12-2015, 1:15 PM
Don't have the planer but I do have the Grizzly spiral head jointer. It is very quiet. I can't imagine there being a sound difference between the two brands. The upside of getting the Grizzly is that it is already installed. Likely a pain in the neck installing the other one.

Gregory Stahl
10-12-2015, 2:23 PM
I had this jointer several years ago and installed a Byrd. It wasn't bad, but did have to remove the outfeed table and stick my arm all the way up the dust port to get to a bolt. If your arms are short, you might be in trouble!

My jointer with the Byrd head was noticably more loud than my Byrd planer, but significantly less noisy than the original straight knives.

If I did it again I would probably opt for the Byrd. Easy people to deal with and can get inserts when needed quickly from multiple sources.

casey herring
10-12-2015, 2:48 PM
Thank you both very much for your input! I very much appreciate you taking the time to share!

Jim Andrew
10-12-2015, 8:38 PM
I have a G0609 and installed a Byrd head. Now I would go with the Grizzly spiral as I lost the ability to rabbet with my jointer. My planer has the grizzly head and it is fine.

John C Bush
10-13-2015, 6:37 PM
I have the G0609X and it is quiet and is a great machine. I would buy the X version with the spiral installed. Perfect out of the box and have rotated the cutters only a couple of times after many thousand bf of surfacing. I have a 20" Griz planer with the spiral head and it is comfortably quiet as well.

casey herring
10-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Ghana you all! I ordered the go609x today and expect it will meet my needs quite nicely. I almost went with the 16" version but balked at the price. It was really the 99" beds that appealed to me but other than having slightly shorter beds I believe this jointer will be an excellent new tool!

Cheers!