PDA

View Full Version : I Survived Changing Blades on my DW735

Larry Frank
10-11-2015, 12:41 PM
The blades on my DW735 were getting pretty dual and had nicks. I had delayed changing them as long as possible but the time had come.

I wondered how bad it would be and hoped that maybe only one or two would be stuck. However, 6 of the 24 world not come loose. I used my Makita impact driver with the hex bit held firmly in the bolt but some would not come loose.

I decided to drill the head off the stuck ones. I used a thin piece of wood to hold the head so I could drill straight down and it took me about 30 minutes to get the 6 out. Once the head were off the rest of the bolt came out easily.

I did spend quite a bit of time cleaning any metal chips out.

I put in a set of blades from Infinity using a set of bolts that have the Torx style head. I ran a couple boards through and they are really smooth.

Eric Schmid
10-11-2015, 5:31 PM
I put the infinity blades on my 735 on mine after going through a couple of sets of OEM blades. The infinity blades last sooooo much longer and can be sharpened. Even without the issues you had I think it still takes a good 20 minutes, so the less often the better. Although mine have some small nicks now I cannot recall the last time I flipped or changed them; 100's if not thousands of feet ago.

I take very little off in each pass which probably helps with longevity. I thought the infinity blades would last a lot longer but I'm surprised by how much better they are.

Brian Tymchak
10-12-2015, 8:40 AM
I need to change blades on my 735 too. I'm a light user but I'm still running the same edges that came from the factory. From my reading, I'm under the impression that the 735 came stock with dual-edged blades. Assuming this was the first time you changed blades, and assuming that my research is correct, I'm curious why you didn't flip the blades instead of changing them out?

Thanks, Brian

Greg Sznajdruk
10-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I need to change blades on my 735 too. I'm a light user but I'm still running the same edges that came from the factory. From my reading, I'm under the impression that the 735 came stock with dual-edged blades. Assuming this was the first time you changed blades, and assuming that my research is correct, I'm curious why you didn't flip the blades instead of changing them out?

Thanks, Brian
You are right the blades can be flipped. I chaged mine using the allen wrech supplied and the screws came out with no problem. It takes about 20 minutes to flip or change the blades.

Greg

Jim Mackell
10-12-2015, 1:30 PM
You are right the blades can be flipped. I chaged mine using the allen wrech supplied and the screws came out with no problem. It takes about 20 minutes to flip or change the blades.

Greg

Yup, takes about 20 minutes. Screws have never been a problem on my machine.

Michael Stein
10-12-2015, 2:30 PM
Screws were a nightmare on my machine. I got the replacement Torx head kit, and haven't had those issues again.

Brian Tymchak
10-12-2015, 4:58 PM
Screws were a nightmare on my machine. I got the replacement Torx head kit, and haven't had those issues again.

Michael, is that a Dewalt kit? Can you provide a link for this kit? Sounds interesting.

Thanks, Brian