PDA

View Full Version : Katrina's Coming

Carl Eyman
08-28-2005, 9:10 AM
Anybody want to place a bid on a workshop in Katrina's path. You'd be suprised how cheap a bid will be accepted for a cash in advance bid. It is a small shop now, but after Katrina passes it may cover a much larger area.

John Miliunas
08-28-2005, 9:59 AM
Carl, my heart goes out to you! With my daughter in the path of many hurricanes over the last couple years, I have sort of a sense of what you must be feeling right now. Please, please....Do as the authorities say and, if you're anywhere near harm's way, seek shelter elsewhere, if at all possible! Not to sound harsh, but we could care less if the shop makes it or not...We just want YOU to make it! (The shop would indeed be a bonus!) Best of luck and I'll keep you and all the folks in the path of Katrina in my prayers!

Carl Eyman
08-28-2005, 12:52 PM
John: Thanks for your good wishes. It is absolutely impossible to get out of town now. Traffic on every possible escape route is at a snail's pace. I think our home is about as safe a place as there is in Town. We are at a higher elevation than the High School which is the evacuation center. My son and family have evacuated New Orleans, and I'm glad they have, because the city could be a disaster like none before. Let us hope the City of Thibodaux won't share that fate.

Randy Moore
08-28-2005, 1:43 PM
Carl,

I have a sister in Meridian Miss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers as well as my sister. Like John said we want you and your family to make it and if we can do anything for you just give a great big HOLLER.
Randy

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-28-2005, 2:03 PM
All I can do at this time is hope that something happens to lessen the strength of Katrina before she comes ashore. All of our thoughts and prays are with you.

Bruce

Earl Kelly
08-28-2005, 2:07 PM
Carl,
Hope you end up on the west side of the eye. I know this is pushing a LOT of water, I hope you and your Family stay safe. I know you've prepared with food, water and gas. It could be several weeks before any of that is available.

We made a mistake when Ivan hit, didn't have enough water for flushing the toilets and drinking. Had to go get pool water from next door to help with the toilet flush. Water was out I think 3 days or more.

I hope you come thru this OK. And again , be safe.

Lou Morrissette
08-28-2005, 2:53 PM
Carl,

My prayers are with you, old Bud. Do anything you have to do to stay safe.

God bless

Lou

Bob Weisner
08-28-2005, 3:35 PM
Just read the NOAA weather report . It said high seas of 68 FEET!!

Karl Laustrup
08-28-2005, 5:44 PM
Carl, our prayers are with you and all the folks down that way. This storm is looking like a monster.

Please keep us abreast of your situation as we are concerned with your safety.

Karl

Jim Barrett
08-28-2005, 7:23 PM
Anybody want to place a bid on a workshop in Katrina's path. You'd be suprised how cheap a bid will be accepted for a cash in advance bid. It is a small shop now, but after Katrina passes it may cover a much larger area.

Best of luck to you and your family. My mother lost her home to Andrew in 1992. I visited her a week after the hurricane hit and I could not believe the devastation! She lived in Homestead at the time, since then she moved to Daytona Beach.
Hope everything works out for you and the family.
Jim

Tony Falotico
08-28-2005, 8:06 PM
Carl, you will be in my thoughts and prayers until we hear you are OK. May God be with you and everyone else in the storm's path.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-28-2005, 8:49 PM
Play it safe , young fellow. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Rob Bourgeois
08-28-2005, 9:32 PM
Carl...
My parents left their home outside of New Orleans. I will be heading down their as soon as they are allowed in. If you need anything gas, ice, water let me know. I will be bringing in alot of those items for friends and family. I will check back in this thread for your reply...I doubt you will have phone service after this so I figure calling you would be useless. You and Lynn and your families are in my prayers. I have not been in touch with my buddy down south of you so I can only hope that means he left. I would rather be in Houma than New Orleans--that is not going to be pretty. Just let me know if you need anything

Roy Wall
08-28-2005, 9:56 PM
Guys....

According to Mapquest --Thibodaux LA -- is just 30 miles WSW of New Orleans!!! And Katrina has forecasts of 20-30 foot storm surge!!!!

IT WILL HIT THIS AREA FULL FORCE!!!!

Carl - we are PRAYING FOR YOU!!!

Dennis Peacock
08-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Carl and all in the path of the storm....

We are praying for all the folks involved in this for their safety and well being. Take every precaution Carl.....

Ernie Nyvall
08-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Be safe Carl. Praters here for your well being through this storm.

Ernie

Aaron Koehl
08-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Carl,

Stay safe!

Kevin Arceneaux
08-28-2005, 11:53 PM
I think after this is over, the mayor of NO is going to have to explain why they waited till Sunday to order mandatory evacuations.

At least all of my cousins got out.

Keith Starosta
08-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Okay, I understand the need to let everybody know that this is a big one, but sheesh!!! Sounds like some Hollywood writers scripted this...I got it from a reliable news agency....

Urgent Weather Message from NWS New Orleans

WWUS74 KLIX 281550NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.

CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...

AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...

BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE..

.ARECERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTUREOUTSIDE!LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

Carl, be safe and God bless.

Keith

Kevin Arceneaux
08-29-2005, 12:20 AM
It is not. This is gonna be a bad one. I lived through Camille on the MS Gulf coast and this is something you don't really want wish on anyone. Though you always hope that it will be someone else's cane.

Rob Bourgeois
08-29-2005, 12:55 AM
This will effect the country almost as bad or worse as 9/11. Heres is why:

The amount of deaths will be higher, much higher if the SuperDome floods or has damage.

50% of all the oil refined in the US is pumped at the LOOP of Grand Isle..where it is hitting. Gas will probably reach over 3 bucks a gallon by the end of the week.

damage estimated 100 billion

All of this is if nothing changes or if the experts are wrong...lets hope they are. This storm is the one my parents always told us about..This is "The Big One".

Kevin Arceneaux
08-29-2005, 1:13 AM
FYI

In the GNO area you have the following:

BP/Amaco refinery
Murphy Oil Refinery
ARCO refinery

Little Further north:
Marathon Refinery
Shell Oil Norco Complex
A few other small refineries

Baton Rouge Area
Exxon
Placid
few other small refineries

This does not take into account the chemical plants.

Plus - Since Friday the companies have shut down the offshore production platforms and pulled the workers. The drilling rigs are battened down and the workers pulled also. The production platforms, at least those that are not torn up take a week or more to get back up and running.

Vaughn McMillan
08-29-2005, 4:11 AM
I spent all weekend without listening to the news or weather, and didn't realize until tonight the severity of Katrina. My thoughts and best wishes go out to those in the path. I'm hoping Carl is well hunkered down, or did indeed make it out of town, despite the snail-like traffic.

- Vaughn

Rob Bourgeois
08-29-2005, 8:25 AM
Local TV reports superdome roof leaking and loud banging on roof. People moving to more protected areas. OVer 10K people are in the superdome right now.

Rob Bourgeois
08-29-2005, 3:24 PM
Local reports state that the area where Carl and Lynn live have little damage. They also state that there is widespread power outages and it could be weeks without power.

They got lucky when the storm turned a bit to the East.

Rich Konopka
08-29-2005, 4:33 PM
I hope everyone is okay dow there. I seems that the flooding is very severe.

I saw this video and I have to say that it is either staged or the driver is the most stupid idiotic moron in the world to just drive into a flooded road. Is this for real or what?

Video (http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=www.wwltv.com/082905rescue.wmv)

Jeff Sudmeier
08-29-2005, 4:52 PM
Carl,

I hope that you are doing okay today! Hang in there bud and let us know when you can, that you are okay!

Rob Bourgeois
08-29-2005, 8:10 PM
I hope everyone is okay dow there. I seems that the flooding is very severe.

I saw this video and I have to say that it is either staged or the driver is the most stupid idiotic moron in the world to just drive into a flooded road. Is this for real or what?

Video (http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=www.wwltv.com/082905rescue.wmv)

Wasnt staged the driver was from out of town and was stunned by the impact...the rescuer was a anchor from a tv station, they were filming the new improved flood pump at that intersection. That is a very deceptive area you come from over an overpass and the road dives below a railcrossing. It always floods so the city installed a new pump that stopped working because of power outages.

Vaughn McMillan
08-29-2005, 9:02 PM
Wasnt staged the driver was from out of town and was stunned by the impact...the rescuer was a anchor from a tv station, they were filming the new improved flood pump at that intersection. That is a very deceptive area you come from over an overpass and the road dives below a railcrossing. It always floods so the city installed a new pump that stopped working because of power outages.
I think the thing that catches my attention in that video clip is the fact that the windshield wipers continued to work after the entire engine compartment (and I'd guess much of the power distribution system) was submersed.

Glad to read that the damage to the NOLA area was somewhat less than originally predicted. Nonetheless, not a good way to start the week any way you look at it.

- Vaughn

Scott Coffelt
08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Man, what a storm. I couldn't imagine what a direct hit would have done, hope all are safe and know that we are praying for you and the rebuilding a wonderful city with great tradition. Sounds like it could be months for some folks to get power. For a city that has much tourism, it may be years before it can recover, if ever. There is a lot of water to be removed, once the levees can be rebuilt.

Rob Bourgeois
08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Things are getting worse down in New Orleans if that is believeable. The water is rising due to a levee breachin one part of the area.. They just declared martial law and ordered anyone still in the city to get out by any means necessary. The water is rising in other areas and they dont know the casue or how to fix it.

If you guys are interested in streaming video, www.wwltv.com has a link on the top. I havent heard anything else about Carl and I cant get into his phone but I will keep trying.

Scott Coffelt
08-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Keep safe and thanks for the updates. I can remember so serious floods here in KC, in some cases as bad, but not by the sheer size of what is happening down South so as not to minimalize whta is happening by any means. I know this has been a fear for many for quite some time that if a massive storm hit it could spell horrible impacts. I was once told a saying that holds true, man can redirect and hold water but water will always want to run where it belongs and in time it will take back what is its'. Hopefully, something can be done to stop the influx of water or I fear it may be take years to take back the land if it can even be done. Be safe.

Karl Laustrup
08-30-2005, 8:08 PM
Just wanted to "bump" this thread back to the top.

Hopefully we'll hear from Carl real soon.

Karl

Boyd Gathwright
08-30-2005, 9:39 PM
.... I'll second that concern, Karl. The remnaments of this storm are just starting to arrive here now with heavy rain and wind along with thunder and lightning.

Just wanted to "bump" this thread back to the top.

Hopefully we'll hear from Carl real soon.

Karl

Roy Wall
08-30-2005, 9:45 PM
Things are getting worse down in New Orleans if that is believeable. The water is rising due to a levee breachin one part of the area.. They just declared martial law and ordered anyone still in the city to get out by any means necessary. The water is rising in other areas and they dont know the casue or how to fix it.

If you guys are interested in streaming video, www.wwltv.com (http://www.wwltv.com/) has a link on the top. I havent heard anything else about Carl and I cant get into his phone but I will keep trying.

Rob,

Thanks - keep trying; and let us know..........

Rob Bourgeois
08-30-2005, 9:55 PM
I am on my way out to help my parents tomorrow so I wont be in contact since cell service is down. Things went quicker for my trip than I thought due to less damage. IF I can I will try to call from down there. Future bowl blanks fell on my parents house. I am hopefully back by Friday

/silver lining. If you dont laugh you will only cry.

Richard Wolf
08-30-2005, 9:59 PM
God speed Rob, and pray for Carl and his family as well as all the people in the gulf states.

Richard

Tyler Howell
08-31-2005, 8:23 AM
Pictures on the tube aren't good. Still haven't heard from our family in Biloxi.
Our prayers for all in that mess:(

John Miliunas
08-31-2005, 8:34 AM
Hang in there, Tyler! Our hopes and/or prayers are with you, your family and all those folks involved with this horrific disaster.

Bob Weisner
08-31-2005, 8:34 AM
Been raining since yesterday afternoon. Got about 2 1/2 inches of rain so far and it is still raining. Thankfully , no wind to speak of.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-31-2005, 8:39 AM
The pictures of the damage are truely awe inspiring. I hope that all of the member's families are safe!

Carole Valentine
08-31-2005, 9:03 AM
Do you still think it sounds like a Hollywood script? This is unprecedented devastation. I cannot even watch the reports anymore because they bring me to tears. And considering my location on a spit of land between the Atlantic and the Chesapeake Bay, I know that it could easily happen to us and that it probably will one day. All I can do is pray for those poor souls who were in the path of this monster.

Donnie Raines
08-31-2005, 9:38 AM
This is an aweful situation. It was reported that the majority of residence in the effected area's had no flood insurance, or if they did have a flood policy they only had covergae for a single floor....not the entire house!. If you live near a flood zone, spend the extra money for the added coverage to protect your entire house!!! Many people do not...they try to save 300 bucks or so..thinkng it will never happen to them....so they go with very limited flood protection to satisfy the mortgage company.

God bless all of our fellow Americans!

Keith Starosta
08-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Do you still think it sounds like a Hollywood script? This is unprecedented devastation. I cannot even watch the reports anymore because they bring me to tears. And considering my location on a spit of land between the Atlantic and the Chesapeake Bay, I know that it could easily happen to us and that it probably will one day. All I can do is pray for those poor souls who were in the path of this monster.

No, Carole. No I don't. :(

God bless all who are affected by this mess.

Keith

Bruce Page
08-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Carl, I sure hope you made it through that monster safely. I looked up Thibodaux LA on the map - not a good place to be!

larry merlau
08-31-2005, 1:03 PM
Pictures on the tube aren't good. Still haven't heard from our family in Biloxi.

i to am hoping for the best for your family tyler and the others down there . have some family and very close friends as well that were in the path of the storm.. no word from any of them yet. the news hasnt shown us the worst yet :(

Erin Raasch
08-31-2005, 1:27 PM

Tyler,

I sure hope your family makes it through - my heart goes out to all those affected by this disaster. The conditions they are experiencing are almost unimaginable.

Erin

Kevin Arceneaux
08-31-2005, 4:57 PM
My family made it out. We have 1 staying with our Aunt, another in at another Aunt's house who is out of town. The third, lives in Mandeville on the North shore, is at friends in North Carolina.

The other 2 live not far from where the Pontchartrain Causeway leaves New Orleans. We saw pictures of the area and they are underwater.

Karl Laustrup
08-31-2005, 5:51 PM
Tyler, hope you hear from your family real soon and all is well.

Kevin, glad to hear your family is all OK.

Now we need to hear from Carl in Thibedoux.

Karl

Mike Cutler
08-31-2005, 5:56 PM
I'm not normally a weather watcher, but the last few days, I've been glued to the net.
I cannot imagine what those folks must be going thru down there, I have no point of reference to even begin an association.
To Carl, and Tyler. I hope and pray for the best for your families, and anyone else's that were not able to evacuate.

What a tragedy...

Randy Moore
08-31-2005, 7:47 PM
To Tyler, Carl, Kevin and any others that have familtand/or friends down that way that are in this bunch of WWers, I pray and pray that everyone makes it out OK.

God Bless everyone

Tyler Howell
09-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Aunt and Uncle finally checked in and are safe. Still no details on their home.

Thank you so very much for your prayers and well wishes. Looks like we're all going to have to send a lot more.

Tony Falotico
09-01-2005, 5:13 PM
Tyler, Thank God your family members are safe! Bet that's quite a relief.

Anxiously waiting to hear about Carl, Any word ??

Rob Bourgeois
09-01-2005, 5:14 PM
ANy one trying to contact family heres my advice from beng in the area, call early in teh morning, 6am or 11pm at night.
We cant call out from there but can call in. Dont use cell phones to make the calls, use a land line.

Not everything on the "national media" is as bad as it is..worse in some case much much better in others.

We just accounted for the last of our out of contact family..everyone is OK some have damage but everyone still will have a house.

Its rough down there..gas is scarce. Ice is non existant. I was in St John parish, the first "dry" land to the West of New Orleans.

I am home now...more later...I need to go get drunk.

15 to 20 helicopters an hour flying over to get fuel and switch pilots or with emergency rescues.

Rob Russell
09-01-2005, 5:37 PM
This is an aweful situation. It was reported that the majority of residence in the effected area's had no flood insurance, or if they did have a flood policy they only had covergae for a single floor....not the entire house!. If you live near a flood zone, spend the extra money for the added coverage to protect your entire house!!! Many people do not...they try to save 300 bucks or so..thinkng it will never happen to them....so they go with very limited flood protection to satisfy the mortgage company.

Unfortunately, this is likely to be true and the basic homeowners policies specifically exclude damage from rising water.

Someone whose house was destroyed by the hurricane is covered, because that's part of the "windstorm" coverage.

If a tree fell on the house, damaging the roof and flying debris caused some broken windows and siding/window damage - but the house was effectively destroyed by the flood - the basic homeowners policy will only cover the roof/window/siding damage (in this example). Now, it's slightly more complicated than that because water damage caused by rain let in by a hole in the roof or window is covered, but that's not going to rebuild the house.

On top of the likely lack of insurance coverage, many of these folks will have lost their jobs. If a hurricane blew my house down, I know that my company will be here for me to come back to work at. Think of all the businesses that will be closed because they didn't have flood coverage and the resultant jobs that will be lost.

That plus the anarchy that's going on down there now - definitely a gloom and doom story. Look at this and imagine if the San Andreas fault really did let loose in California. Don't even want to think about that.

Andrew Ault
09-01-2005, 6:57 PM
Rob B,

I'm glad to hear that your famliy is Ok.

After the fires here in San Diego, it was days before we heard from my aunt and uncle - finally I saw my uncle on TV news. The morning after the fire passed through Alpine, I went to check on family and houses in Alpine where the worst of the firestorm was - every family member's house was damaged but still standing - just luck of the draw and good fire breaks. We put out a few remaining fires. All the Alpine fire department could do was set backfires and go - no other fire support from any other department. Powerlines down everywhere. It made me sick to see the burned foundations.

The good news is that after the fire, the community pulled together and helped people that needed it. There were fundraisers for the worst off. People cleaned out closets and garages and gave their extra goods to people in need. I had just consolodated households with my now wife and we were able to give appliances, tools and cookware to my uncle's neighbors who lost everything. My uncle came by with his four-horse trailer and we stacked in boxes of linens, clothes and that sort of thing.

You'd be surprised at how much really good stuff people had and were willing to share. Tents were set up in the burned areas and set up like markets where people could get what they needed. Also, there was alot of quiet, private help. Service clubs in small towns like Alpine are pretty practical and efficient at this sort of thing, it would seem.

FEMA came along with their pecular brand of help. The Red Cross was OK in some contexts, but pretty limited in many ways (although gangbusters at fundraising). I really hope that these two organizations can work better in Louisiana and Mississippi than they did here.

A big difference is that Alpine was repopulated within a few days and power was on in a week or two. People in my family were back in their houses as soon as it was allowed. Little looting occured because people patrolled the neighborhoods and set up checkpoints. RVs were used and generators appeared. Cell phone service was restored and then regular phones.

This is a bigger disaster than ours and I hope the President responds with unprecedented immediate and long-term help. The Army and Guard are stretched pretty thin at the moment, but every resource is needed. We need to get people into safe situations and then bust our picks making people whole and rebuilding communities. In San Diego, Navy helicopters could

How we respond to people in need is how we are measured in the eyes of humanity and beyond.

-Andy

Karl Laustrup
09-01-2005, 9:01 PM
Tyler, so glad your family is OK. :)

Rob, ditto with your family. :)

Now we need to hear from Carl.

Karl

John Miliunas
09-01-2005, 9:09 PM
Tyler, Rob...SUPER news! Sincerely happy for you guys and your families! :) Now, as has been said, let's keep up our hopes and prayers for Carl, his family and any of the other Creekers we may not have heard from in that area!:cool:

Boyd Gathwright
09-01-2005, 9:58 PM
.... Does anyone know where Carl Eyman lives in relation to the storm? His SMC profile suggests Thibodaux LA. Is his location above or below sea level? Is there anyone familiar with his area? According to the map he is generally south and west of New Orleans.

Boyd

Tyler, so glad your family is OK. :)

Rob, ditto with your family. :)

Now we need to hear from Carl.

Karl

Rob Bourgeois
09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
He lives in Thibodeaux...right by Houma. They have electiricity in that area but not reliable phone service-cant call out only in. I have visited Carl..he doesnot have any flood waters in taht area like you are seeing on TV maybe "normal" type flooding but nothign like that in New Orleans I have his number and will attempt tomorrow early.

His area got a mild hit but still bad.

Just a note...believe half of what CNN and Fox are reporting..they are only reporting the "bad" stuff not the good things..like a cop who have rescued over 250 people in a 24 hour period. Look pass the BS.

Kevin Arceneaux
09-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Our Gov had a few statements:

Looters best watch themselves, the Guard is getting the OK to shoot first

And

Demanded an apoligy from Dennis Hastart (D-IL) for stating that NO is not worth rebuilding

Meanwhile, as Congress returned to Washington for a special session to appropriate disaster aid, House Speaker Dennis Hastert questioned whether flood-stricken New Orleans should be rebuilt in its existing form. (Full story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/01/hastert.katrina.ap/index.html/))

Frank Chaffee
09-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Last time I checked the Speaker of the House was a Republican.

Frank

Joe Mioux
09-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Our Gov had a few statements:

Looters best watch themselves, the Guard is getting the OK to shoot first

And

Demanded an apoligy from Dennis Hastart (D-IL) for stating that NO is not worth rebuilding

Meanwhile, as Congress returned to Washington for a special session to appropriate disaster aid, House Speaker Dennis Hastert questioned whether flood-stricken New Orleans should be rebuilt in its existing form. (Full story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/01/hastert.katrina.ap/index.html/))

Careful....

Let's not get political, (Kevin, I am not saying that you are) but the D's and R's just might.

What makes this forum so wonderful is that we don't let politics enter into the mix.

I do not comprehend the magnitude of what LA, MS or AL damaged area residents are experiencing.

I would like to think that everyone is willing help.

Most importantly, I (WE) all hope and pray that Carl is well.

JOe

Frank Chaffee
09-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Thank goodness though, at least someone is keeping his cool in this tragedy.

"Well, I fully understand people wanting things to have happened yesterday. . . . I mean, I understand the anxiety of people on the ground. . . . I don't think anybody anticipated the breech of the levees," Bush said. "They did anticipate a serious storm. But these levees got breached and, as a result, much of New Orleans is flooded and now we're having to deal with it and will."

Kevin Arceneaux
09-01-2005, 10:58 PM
I stand corrected. My error.

Her full commets - she did not take questions:
<mcc story=""> A furious Gov. Kathleen Blanco issued a message to House Speaker Dennis Hastert: "I expect an apology as soon as possible."</mcc> She was referring to Hastert's comments about spending billions of dollars to rebuild New Orleans.

Hastert told an Illinois newspaper, "It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed."

Blanco said it's an insult to even suggest that "one of the most historic cities is not worth an investment."

"To kick us down when we're down and destroy hope" is unnecessary, Blanco said.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="250"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" valign="top"> <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="60" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td> <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="240"> <tbody><tr> <td>
(http://www.premiermechanicalservices.com/tuneup.html) </td> </tr></tbody></table>

</td></tr> </tbody></table></td></tr> </tbody></table> Hastert said in a transcript that the people of New Orleans would rebuild their city, but said "we ought to take a second look" at federal insurance and other federal aid involved.

Hastert announced an emergency session Friday to approve some $10 billion in federal aid for hurricane victims.

Blanco also issued another message to the "hoodlums" in New Orleans: Arkansas National Guardsmen fresh from Iraq have M16s locked and loaded, and they know how to shoot and kill.

She said these hoodlums are taking away limited resources to save babies, children and good people. Blanco said she expects the National Guardsmen to use force if they must.

The violence in New Orleans area has impelled some city police to turn in their badges, said Col. Henry Whitehorn of Louisiana State Police.

"The ones who have resigned indicated that they have lost everything and didn't feel it was worth going back to take fire from looters," Whitehorn said. "Violence is bad. We need more help."

Whitehorn confirmed that one policeman had been shot. He didn't have a figure yet on how many looters had been arrested, but the situation at the Superdome and in the central business district was stabilizing and getting under control.

Whitehorn said 80 more policemen have joined law enforcement to patrol the streets of New Orleans. He said new telephone and wireless networks were installed this afternoon.

State Police also are reconnecting the database to determine people wanted by the law.

Frank Chaffee
09-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Thank you Rob for sharing news of Carl Eyman with us.

I’ve been checking this thread frequently, hoping to hear that Carl is well. While I assumed from looking at the map that Thibodaux is on higher ground and on an open route out of the city, I have still been concerned about possible wind damage to his environs. Thanks so much for updating us, and give him our warm thoughts when you do talk to him.

Tyler, I am relieved that your family is safe too. I have been wondering how you have been able to deal with the stress of not knowing how loved ones were while working on so many major projects. Keep that great smile shining!

I offer my heartfelt prayers to all who are touched by this storm .

Frank

Kevin Arceneaux
09-01-2005, 11:21 PM
I talked to a few people with Terrebonne Parish people and they said they had few if any problems. The main thing is phones and electrical - but they should be up soon. They can generally call out, but you cannot call in.

larry merlau
09-02-2005, 7:23 AM
i want say thanks to rob and kevin for giving us the true story of whats going on down they both have given me info on the condition of family and friends in the troubled areas. as they both have said, the calls can get in sometimes i was abe to contack one of the 3 families i have connections with last nght. and those people that are in the stricken areas are very grateful to hear from any of us..they are like lost sheep they can use our help and caring. thanks again Kevin and Rob for your assistance.

Kevin Arceneaux
09-02-2005, 8:50 AM
Lists of people:

go to NOLA.COM. Parish where theperson is from. you can also look to see if they posted anything. It is like the fliers they put up for 911.

Also

wbrz.com
wwl.com
wafb.com

Glenn Clabo
09-02-2005, 9:51 AM
get so angry at the news media's lack of responsibility and desire to sensationalize this tragedy.

Grrrr...
Do you think you they are making it up? What are they supposed to show us? Yes there are wonderful things going on...if all they showed was that what would be getting down about dead people floating in the streets...People dying days after the end of storm without water. All you can say is you're mad at the media!!! :mad: Why aren't you mad at the fact that FEMA was under constant pressures with budget cuts for years...that the states National Guard isn't in the place they are needed most to help thier American citizens?
Even if I only believe that it's half as bad as they are showing I'm livid with many more things than the media.
Grrrr...

Rob Bourgeois
09-02-2005, 9:56 AM
They arent making it up...I personally know some things that are not being reported..I wont post here if you want to know PM me. I have some friends that were in a SAR boat that I talked to while down there.

Glenn, many people feel deserted down there, they havent seen anything from the Feds except our local Coast guard and National Guard. There will be lots of blame ot go around, no one isnt immune.

/no more blame game-this isnt the time till every kid is off the roofs.

Carls phone still is out. I tried for 15 to 20 minutes this morning before contacting my family to chech on them.
The phone just says due to hurricane circuits are busy.

Brad Schmid
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Well, since last Saturday, some long time friends have been staying with us at our home here in Katy. They live in Houma. At about 8:45am today, they recieved word that their house now has electricity restored. They have been talking with their neighbor for the last few days, and damage is relatively light in their area. Mostly power poles, signs, and some roof damage. Roads have been open for e few days into Houma, but now that their electric is back on, they're getting ready to head back. They were most fortunate.

As for Thibodeaux, their son and his wife live there and he stayed through the storm. We were actually able to speak with him every day via cell throughout the entire ordeal. In his area, he said it was very similar to Houma. Shingles blown off, signs, power lines, etc. But all in all, also very fortunate.

Carl - I'm glad you fared well.

PS. I also have some long time friends in Larose for which we cannot get any information. Hoping for the best...

Earl Kelly
09-02-2005, 10:28 AM
If anyone is still trying to get info on a friend or loved one, the weather channel has a message board. We used it to find some info about my bro's home in Diamondhead MS. They just put it up wed. and it's getting lots of attention. I know it's against TOS but I'm hoping they'll make an exception for this link to a message board.

http://messageboards.weather.com/3/OpenTopic?a=frm&s=253291764&f=457105398

Karl Laustrup
09-04-2005, 7:12 AM
Rob,

Just curious if you've had a chance to try to get in touch with Carl?

Understand you have got a lot of stuff on your agenda, but we need to hear from you also.

Thanks,

Karl

Rob Bourgeois
09-04-2005, 9:40 AM
Yes I tried...still cant get in. Anyone else to his west might have a better chance.. My folks can contact Houston but not Mississippi.

Rob Bourgeois
09-04-2005, 9:48 AM
Sorry for the quick reply..my son was crying...

I tried Friday morning and yesterday morning for about 15 minutes. Still get the "all circuits are busy" message.
I ddint try this morning becasu eof tryign to get the kids ready for church and over sleeping. I will try tonight.

I hate to give out his phone number..since i dont have his permission to do so..I hope you guys understand.

Roy Wall
09-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Rob,

Thanks for the update. We are glad you're safe.....
We trust you'll let us know about Carl - thanks!!!

Be safe!

Karl Laustrup
09-04-2005, 2:37 PM
Rob thanks for trying to get in touch with Carl. We will keep you, Carl and the rest of the people of the area in our prayers.

Karl

Kevin Arceneaux
09-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Some good news

My cousin in Mandeville - turns out his house came through with no problems
The ones in NO - good news and bad news 1 had water up to the steps - not in the house, the other had water to the roof of the first floor. But all are OK.

One has had to go back to NO - he works for IBM and they are working with the hospitals to see if they can save the data on the computers in them.

Rob Bourgeois
09-05-2005, 9:31 AM
Good news...I talked to Carl. Everything was fine, some shingle damage. Electricity is back and so is the A/C. Internet coverage is not working right now.

His son tried to post here but had problems.

I also got in touch with my other friend down there by Carl, so I have talked to my last"missing" person.
Good Day. :)

Richard Wolf
09-05-2005, 10:02 AM
That's good news.

Richard

Keith Starosta
09-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Excellent news! Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update, Rob!

Keith

Dennis Peacock
09-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks Rob....It's just good to know that they are OK.!!!! :D

Karl Laustrup
09-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks Rob, so glad to hear all is well with all your people and Carl also. :)

Karl

Jim Dunn
09-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for posting the information. Really appreciated as I'm quite sure you have a lot on your plate right now. God bless you and yours.

Vaughn McMillan
09-06-2005, 1:21 AM
Rob, that's the best news I've seen all weekend. Thanks for letting us know. Carl's been on my mind a lot lately, and I'm glad to see you've rounded up all your missing folks.

- Vaughn

Lori Schory
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Rob, Thanks for the information on Carl. Carl used to be a good friend of my father's years ago in the ham radio days. When I first learned of the hurricane and the devestation it bestowed upon New Orleans and the surrounding areas, I began to be concerned about his well being. My brother, Ken has been in contact with him in the past couple years but said he was having no luck through regular email. Ken told me that he knew Carl was active with your group so I looked it up and now I'm glad I did. If you talk to Carl again please let him know Lori and her brother Ken are thinking of him. Speaking for myself, I am here to help if he needs it.He can contact me through my brother's contact information. Thanks again for the good news so far. A friend of my late father is a friend of mine.
Lori Schory

Carl Eyman
09-08-2005, 8:21 AM
To all Creekers: Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated. I can report that we weathered the storm very well. Special thanks to Rob Bourgesois who took the time to call us and report back to the creek. Hope your parents find things manageable when they can get back, Rob.

Our biggest worry was our son, DIL, and 3 grandkids who live(d) in N.O. and left. They don't know what the house is like, except ground water is not likely to be a problem. They have already bought a house in Zachary LA, established a business office there, entered 2 of the kids in school, and sent the third off to college. What a change in so short a time.

Now how is the furniture inventory in New Orleans? Do looters like 18th Century furniture? If the roof has a hole in it and it rains in, will the glue hold? Someday we'll find out.

BTW, as yoyu may have guessed cable came on this AM and My offer to sell tools is withdrawn - they're OK

John Miliunas
09-08-2005, 8:32 AM
Yippeeeee! GREAT news! Not only did you and your family come out OK, but so did your tools!:) With so much sad news coming out of that area, it's great to hear something positive. Thanks for touching base with us!:) :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
09-08-2005, 8:50 AM
Fantastic news Carl. Not a day went by that I didn't think and pray for you several times. You really had us quite worried.

Boyd Gathwright
09-08-2005, 9:10 AM
Hi Carl,

.... It's good to hear you made it through the tragedy unscathed.

Welcome back :).

Boyd

To all Creekers: Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated. I can report that we weathered the storm very well. Special thanks to Rob Bourgesois who took the time to call us and report back to the creek. Hope your parents find things manageable when they can get back, Rob.

Our biggest worry was our son, DIL, and 3 grandkids who live(d) in N.O. and left. They don't know what the house is like, except ground water is not likely to be a problem. They have already bought a house in Zachary LA, established a business office there, entered 2 of the kids in school, and sent the third off to college. What a change in so short a time.

Now how is the furniture inventory in New Orleans? Do looters like 18th Century furniture? If the roof has a hole in it and it rains in, will the glue hold? Someday we'll find out.

BTW, as yoyu may have guessed cable came on this AM and My offer to sell tools is withdrawn - they're OK

Jeff Sudmeier
09-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Carl, it is great to hear that you weathered the storm well!! So many did not...

Roy Wall
09-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Carl,

Ditto on what Dave Anderson said!! Glad all is well!

Be safe!

Lou Morrissette
09-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Great news, Carl! What a relief for all of us to hear you weathered the storm. Glad to hear about the shop as well.

Lou

Karl Laustrup
09-08-2005, 12:16 PM
So glad to hear you and your family are safe and sound. That is of the utmost importance.

Hopefully you can get back to making sawdust soon.

Karl

Tony Falotico
09-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Special thanks to Rob Bourgesois who took the time to call us and report back to the creek. Hope your parents find things manageable when they can get back, Rob.

Carl, It was great to hear from Rob that you were OK but even better to hear it direct from you. Glad to hear your son and his family are OK and that they are moving forward with their lives in quick order.

I second your special thanks to Rob....... it takes special people to go out of their way to care for others..... Thanks Rob.

Donnie Raines
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Rob,

Wait until they try to figure out what damage took place first! Is the house destryoed becuase of the wind(covered) or did the flood get it....

While I understand the situation down there is aweful...it's only going to get more rocky for many families becuase of this.

Rich Konopka
09-08-2005, 1:05 PM
Carl,

Glad that your back online and that you and your family are out of harms way.

God Bless

Rob Bourgeois
09-08-2005, 1:16 PM
Carl...How did Lynn fair with the storm. I noticed he hasnt been here since August 28? Sorry for any confusion but my parents made it through with no damage except for the pecan tree that I cut up and now its sitting on my lathe :)

My uncle on the other hand...hasnt been back to his house yet. Based on the news reports and pictures of his area, he is buying a house in Baton Rouge. He wanted to move to BR and now he has an excuse so he isnt too upset. :)

Todd Burch
09-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Rob, thanks for the updates. Carl, glad to hear you are OK!

Jim Dunn
09-09-2005, 8:17 AM
Carl glad your OK. I'm about to overload on hurricane coverage, then I think about people like you, and yours, and tune back in.
I'm a dog lover and am wondering if the strays are being taken care of? If you get time to answer I'd appreciate it. Stay dry!

Bruce Page
09-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Carl, it's great to hear from you again. I'm very happy that everything turned out so well.

Carl Eyman
09-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Jim: There have been several spots on local news featurung animal rescue; so something is being done. Even in normal times there seem to be more strays than can be handled; so I imagine it is a problem that is only being minimally dealt with, but at least there is some response.

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-09-2005, 1:32 PM
Carl
I am glad you made it through. Jim Atlanta received a bunch of misplaced dogs from ht ehunmain kennels they could get to. Thay are all up for adoption here. from the television coverage they mostly looked like young dogs.

Again I am glad you made it Carl.

Roger