PDA

View Full Version : Price reference, what would you ask?

Kev Williams
10-10-2015, 4:22 PM
As per my postings awhile back, I've been looking to buy another laser, previously owned, with features I need to keep up with the seemingly non-stop work that keeps pouring in...

Found one! More on that later...

While a 4th laser would be nice, I simply don't have anywhere to put a 4th laser. So what I'm doing is replacing my little 12x18x25w workhorse ULS. And it IS a workhorse. 18 years old, still on the original lens and mirrors. About 3 years ago I changed out the tube. The tube we removed was about 9 years old, still worked okay but a deal came by so I took it. New tube spec'd at a snick over 31 watts. It's been my go-to machine for most Rowmark and for Cermarking stainless. My brother in law engraves cedar boxes in it often (and is the reason for this post). In short, it still runs very nicely. But, it's a bit slow, Z limit (hand crank) is about 4", the 12x18" table is a bit small, and no cylinder attachment. My new-to-me machine is much faster, table's more than double the size, has more Z-depth, several other newer features, AND a cylinder attachment. Exactly what I need!

My BIL has used this machine for as long as I have, and he also has an LS800 at home, which is currently running at half its 40w power due to a blown capacitor. So his is absolutely thrilled that I'm willing to sell him this machine. His cedar-box workload keeps increasing, so it will help him keep up, plus he needs a machine to run his jobs while his LS800 gets repaired. (he has one customer, and they want their work next day, period)...

Anyway, I've been checking used machine prices for a few months now, but there's not many this old for sale, so I'm not sure what approximate market value would be. Not that I want top dollar-- just the opposite! My BIL has been working with me for 30 years, and I owe him a lot, just for that reason alone. But I'm not going to just give it to him either. I have a percentage in mind, but I'd like some opinions on valve, so I have a place to start! :)

I'm going to hate losing it. It's never broke down and it probably makes us $150 a day on average...

Bert Kemp
10-10-2015, 4:58 PM
I have absolutely no clue as to what its worth, but him being your BIL and a good working partner, and you say it makes about a buck 50 a day for you so sell it to him for 5 days work say $750 just a thought , :D

David Somers
10-10-2015, 5:33 PM
Kev,

Perhaps you could ask ULS? They do sell used equipment now and then like Epi does so they may have a clue what it would go for?

Or, following Bert's out of the box thinking about a price, how about giving it to him but getting an agreement to have it available for overflow work from your shop if you were in a pinch? Put a cap on it so he knows you wont be eating up his machine time unreasonably. That way you have a bit of extra capacity if needed.

Cool....glad you are doing so well! And your BIL too!

Dave

Keith Winter
10-10-2015, 6:51 PM
Ok so I'm going to play devil's advocate. You sell him the machine are you creating a future competitor? I really have no way of knowing him or his intentions, guy could be a saint but I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

If you do decide to give it to him, I'd do a work to own scenario. It can be a "perk" of the job and will go a long way towards building good will.

Once I had an employee who's windshield got smashed but he didn't have the money to buy a new one. He was a really good guy so I had the glass guys come out and replace his windshield one day while he was working. When he came out he was almost in tears. Guy worked for me another couple years, and still works seasonally for me. He still tells everyone about how great it was to work there and about the windshield story. It was $350 for me, but a whole lot more to him. My dad did a similar thing for multiple long time good employees during his life, all of them really appreciated it and talked about it for years. My dad bought new teeth for a guy that had gum disease once that worked for him. My dad passed away years ago but that guy still talks about him and how great he was and how great his business is. Anyway, you get the picture...

Here's how you do it: "Bil I know your laser went down and you're a long time employee and really great guy, so he's what I'm going to do. I'm going to loan you the ULS, you just keep it going and all the repairs are on you from now on while it's at your house. You keep doing a great job like you have been and I'll sign over the rights to it fully to you in two years October 2017. How does that sound?"

As per my postings awhile back, I've been looking to buy another laser, previously owned, with features I need to keep up with the seemingly non-stop work that keeps pouring in...

Found one! More on that later...

While a 4th laser would be nice, I simply don't have anywhere to put a 4th laser. So what I'm doing is replacing my little 12x18x25w workhorse ULS. And it IS a workhorse. 18 years old, still on the original lens and mirrors. About 3 years ago I changed out the tube. The tube we removed was about 9 years old, still worked okay but a deal came by so I took it. New tube spec'd at a snick over 31 watts. It's been my go-to machine for most Rowmark and for Cermarking stainless. My brother in law engraves cedar boxes in it often (and is the reason for this post). In short, it still runs very nicely. But, it's a bit slow, Z limit (hand crank) is about 4", the 12x18" table is a bit small, and no cylinder attachment. My new-to-me machine is much faster, table's more than double the size, has more Z-depth, several other newer features, AND a cylinder attachment. Exactly what I need!

My BIL has used this machine for as long as I have, and he also has an LS800 at home, which is currently running at half its 40w power due to a blown capacitor. So his is absolutely thrilled that I'm willing to sell him this machine. His cedar-box workload keeps increasing, so it will help him keep up, plus he needs a machine to run his jobs while his LS800 gets repaired. (he has one customer, and they want their work next day, period)...

Anyway, I've been checking used machine prices for a few months now, but there's not many this old for sale, so I'm not sure what approximate market value would be. Not that I want top dollar-- just the opposite! My BIL has been working with me for 30 years, and I owe him a lot, just for that reason alone. But I'm not going to just give it to him either. I have a percentage in mind, but I'd like some opinions on valve, so I have a place to start! :)

I'm going to hate losing it. It's never broke down and it probably makes us $150 a day on average...

Ross Moshinsky
10-10-2015, 7:11 PM
Top market value on that machine can't be much more than $4000 and would probably sell pretty quickly if priced at $2000.

David Somers
10-10-2015, 7:32 PM
Nice idea Kev!!!

Kev Williams
10-10-2015, 8:13 PM
I was thinking $3k sounded about right. And I was thinking about 25 to 30% of that-- Bert pretty much nailed it!

As for 'future competitor', that's the least of my worries, for several reasons... :D

Dave's idea works- I could send overload work home with him for a percentage of the sale as 'overtime'. He'd appreciate the extra $$.
I've been wanting to do this for some time, but his other machine's free time has always been pretty much nil. With a second machine,
this would be very do-able. We'd both make money-- I'd make a little less, but the free time I'd gain would be well worth it!

I've considered just giving him the thing, as sort of a bonus, or appreciation gift. What it's worth won't make or break me, for sure.
But- If I'm going to pay him to do work for me with it, a work to own deal would definitely work!