PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Elm pens-turquoise in the worm holes

Ernie Nyvall
08-27-2005, 10:34 PM
My first shot at stone inlay and they do look a little better than the pictures, but I did learn from these what not to do next time. I used both crushed and powdered stone. Some of the worm holes feathered out and I used powdered in the shallow parts. This made for an uneven distribution of the crushed even though I did spread the powder in between the crushed too. Next time I will gouge out the shallow parts and spread the crushed evenly and sprinkle powder around them, or I will just use the powder and no crushed at all.
I'm glad I have that Wolverine sharpening jig set up right next to the lathe. My scraper got a new edge after every three passes over the turquoise.
Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Ernie

Dan Lanicek
08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Wow, that looks really nice! Nice job! I like the turquoise and spalted look. I like the look of the kit too. What kind of kit is that?

Dick Parr
08-27-2005, 10:46 PM
That looks great Ernie....... :)

Ernie Nyvall
08-27-2005, 10:49 PM
What kind of kit is that?

Thanks Dan. It's the Berea Hardwoods' Flat Top/American Style double twist ballpoint.

Ernie

Karl Laustrup
08-28-2005, 6:23 AM
Wow, Ernie, that is one beautiful pen. I think I'd clip it to the outside of my shirt pocket to show it off and break anyones hand that tried to touch it. :)

Karl

Keith Burns
08-28-2005, 7:28 AM
Ernie, that is one great looking pen ! As I've said before, you have the touch. Thanks for sharing.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-28-2005, 8:59 PM
Nice work, Ernie. I lke those a lot.

Ernie Nyvall
08-28-2005, 9:53 PM
Thanks everyone for you kind comments. It's really nice to get such feedback especially in the beginning stages of a craft and from people who's works are exemplary. As always though suggestions for a better way are welcome.

Ernie

Kurt Aebi
08-29-2005, 8:35 AM
Nice Pen, Ernie!

Nice - Yea Right! Extraordinary is more like it!

Great Job!, Great desing ideas!

Takeshi Uchida
08-29-2005, 9:48 AM
I like the blue accent.