PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about laser engravers

David Heim
10-10-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm writing on behalf of Turners Without Borders, a committee of the American Association of Woodturners that fosters new links with the worldwide turning community.
We were recently contacted by GreenWood, an organization that helps communities in less-developed areas set up small-scale commercial woodworking businesses. GreenWood asked us if we could help procure a laser engraver for a community in Honduras that makes pens and other office products. The Hondurans want to be able to engrave their pens and begin producing other, engraved items. I'm told that the community has decent electrical service and that the people are reasonably computer-savvy.
I've read the recent threads about laser engravers, and I'm hopeful that you folks can recommend suitable hardware. (I know as much about laser engravers as I do Honduran geography.) Further, I'm hopeful that someone can steer us to a good, affordable used laser engraver.
Thank you in advance for your help and advice. I'll check the forum for replies.
Again, my thanks.
Best,
David Heim

Keith Winter
10-10-2015, 1:15 PM
Welcome Dave.

I wonder if their power system will be a hurdle? You said decent, but does that mean brown outs? I'm not an electrician but I am finding out more and more that the power system can affect lasers. I think most would say a western machine is preferred and more reliable, but if the electrical is more similar to asia, it might be worth considering a machine that's setup to handle their power system. Then trying to figure out how to rig it in the field if that makes sense?

Great work you're doing, wonderful organization!

I'm writing on behalf of Turners Without Borders, a committee of the American Association of Woodturners that fosters new links with the worldwide turning community.
We were recently contacted by GreenWood, an organization that helps communities in less-developed areas set up small-scale commercial woodworking businesses. GreenWood asked us if we could help procure a laser engraver for a community in Honduras that makes pens and other office products. The Hondurans want to be able to engrave their pens and begin producing other, engraved items. I'm told that the community has decent electrical service and that the people are reasonably computer-savvy.
I've read the recent threads about laser engravers, and I'm hopeful that you folks can recommend suitable hardware. (I know as much about laser engravers as I do Honduran geography.) Further, I'm hopeful that someone can steer us to a good, affordable used laser engraver.
Thank you in advance for your help and advice. I'll check the forum for replies.
Again, my thanks.
Best,
David Heim

David Heim
10-10-2015, 1:39 PM
Good point about the electrical supply, Keith. And thank you for the good words about Turners Without Borders and GreenWood.
Best,
dh

David Somers
10-10-2015, 3:38 PM
David,

I am an AAW member and also a laser user. If you want to PM me perhaps I can help you with some things regarding a suitable laser. I dont think I have the kinds of contacts that would get you a discount or free used laser though.

To start with though. It sounds like they are looking to do this with small objects like pens? A laser is a nice way to do this. But can also be expensive. Whatever you ended up getting I might suggest that a number of people in the group be well versed in its use and maintenance so that the unit is not reliant on the skills of just one person. If that person leaves they are in trouble.

In terms of power, I believe Honduras follows the north american standard, meaning 110v at the wall, with 220V being an option if wired properly. And plug types following North American Code? If that is still true then the main issue is the quality of the power. As Keith mentioned, lasers are sensitive to power fluctuations. But you can resolve this if you put the unit on an appropriately sized voltage regulator and give the unit a dedicated circuit so it is less likely to be affected by the power draw of other devices nearby.

One thought though. Without knowing the group that will be using this machine....might a simpler technology for engraving be more appropriate? Perhaps a used high speed dental drill for instance? Or one of the 400,000 RPM rotary tools that are out there for engraving purpose? This would be far less expensive to start and have the advantage of their being able to use it on any of their turnings. I would probably not rely on something like a Fordom tool or its competitors simply because it is hard to do really fine work with if you are not well practiced. The very high speed tools in the 400,000 RPM range are much easier to handle and learn for fine work. Just a thought. I dont mean to dissuade your from a laser. They are great tools. You just want to be sure they understand their strengths and weaknesses.

This sounds like a terrific project David! One of many I know AAW is involved with!!!

Dave