PDA

View Full Version : Did I mention I also hate..

Rich Engelhardt
10-10-2015, 10:54 AM
computers?

Evil little ones and zero things.....

Actually, it's not the inanimate computer I hate - it's the dweebs that concoct software & set so called standards.
They are nothing but a bunch of "spoiled kids" that never had to work a day in their life & have no idea how to get along with other people.

For reasons known only to those spoiled brats, Java is now mostly unsupported and any site using it is pretty much worthless.

I just wasted three solid hours of my life trying to get a browser to open up a Java app on the county GIS website showing old tax maps.

I doubt I'm the only one that can no longer do a large portion of work I could easily do before - simply because some "kid" got bent out of shape and decided to take their ball and go home.

I feel like I'm living in that old Star Trek episode with the kid Charley that had all those super powers and no maturity to temper them......

glenn bradley
10-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Java is going unsupported because it is an ELOZT (Evil Little Ones and Zeros Thingy). I stopped using anything that used Java quite awhile ago. The version issues, not to mention the security problems, just aren't worth it. JMHO :).

Wait, that's not totally true. We do have a couple of legacy tools at work that require Inernet Exploder and Java. I have a separate, wired laptop that I use for this and little else.

Julie Moriarty
10-10-2015, 11:13 AM
The other day I saw the "! Shut Down" notice again. Microsoft wants me to reboot my computer. I always go to Windows Update first to check what updates there are and download them. Often that makes the shut down notice go away so no need to reboot.

So when I opened Windows Update this time I only saw one "Important" update - Windows 10 Pro. I know little about Win10, but I do know I'm happy with Win7. So the next time I have to reboot the computer, that will automatically load. I have some older programs that Win7 can handle and I fear losing them with Win10. But they offer no other choice. :mad: I'm holding off as long as I can...

Mark Blatter
10-10-2015, 1:18 PM
I was given the option a couple of days ago to 'upgrade' to Win 10 for Free! Msoft was really happy to spout that it was really for free. What little I have read about Win 10 leaves me cold. It is like Win 7 meets Facebook. You can set functions so everyone of your 'friends' can access your contacts and other functions. Just what I want, more snooping in my life.

I knew friending the NSA was a bad idea.

Julie Moriarty
10-10-2015, 3:52 PM
I knew friending the NSA was a bad idea.

We have to get Snowden back.

Brian Elfert
10-11-2015, 11:04 AM
The other day I saw the "! Shut Down" notice again. Microsoft wants me to reboot my computer. I always go to Windows Update first to check what updates there are and download them. Often that makes the shut down notice go away so no need to reboot.

So when I opened Windows Update this time I only saw one "Important" update - Windows 10 Pro. I know little about Win10, but I do know I'm happy with Win7. So the next time I have to reboot the computer, that will automatically load. I have some older programs that Win7 can handle and I fear losing them with Win10. But they offer no other choice. :mad: I'm holding off as long as I can...

Windows 10 is currently an optional update. It won't just install unless you ask it to. You can search the web and find ways to get rid of the Windows 10 installer altogether.

Larry Frank
10-11-2015, 12:27 PM
WOW....

Java rant ----> Windows 10 -----> Plumbing

I have to think a bit about the metamorphosis of this thread

Rich Engelhardt
10-11-2015, 1:47 PM
@ Larry - - easy, retired IT guy that's taken up rehabbing houses for rentals :D.

I retired from IT 4 years ago August 19th and have made it a point to forget at least one computer thing a day.
I did too good a job at it and now I don't know anything about Windows 10 or who owns what in the computer world.

Plumbing is just too easy a target :D.
The people that like plumbing are few and far between.

Tom Stenzel
10-11-2015, 4:25 PM
Back in the '90's I replumbed my Detroit house with all new copper pipe. When I pressurized the system I found I had constructed an elaborate water sprinkler. It sounds like the ultimate oxymoron but yes, you can work for the Water Board and hate plumbing too.

I'm not too fond of computers either. They used to be about learning and freedom, now it's lockdown and control. Put in houses and they're used to monitor what you watch and read. Put in cars and you have DRM (Driving Restrictions Management). The next wonder is the Internet of Things so everything you do, wear and eat can be monitored.

No longer fun. No longer interesting. No longer wanted here!

-Tom

Julie Moriarty
10-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Windows 10 is currently an optional update. It won't just install unless you ask it to. You can search the web and find ways to get rid of the Windows 10 installer altogether.

All I know is that little notice that tells you updates need to be installed is there and the only update listed is Windows 10. When I ask to search for updates, Windows 10 is the only thing that comes up now. There were some optional updates listed but they are now gone and I didn't load them in. I'll check on the opt out. Thanks, Brian.

Tony Joyce
10-12-2015, 10:37 PM
This offers some insight.

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/