PDA

View Full Version : Rachel from Cardholder Services

Rich Riddle
10-10-2015, 8:41 AM
We are refinancing our home and the processor's name is Rachel. Picking up the phone yesterday, Rachel from cardholder services starts her automated message. It didn't quite sound correct. Has Rachel called anyone else here? Sounds fishy at best.

George Bokros
10-10-2015, 8:45 AM
I get lots of calls from Cardholder Services. They are scams. It is just a coincidence that the loan processors name is the same as the person calling from Cardholder Services.

I also get calls telling me this is the final call to reduce my interest rate on my credit card. But it is never the final call because I get another one in a few days.

Jay Aubuchon
10-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Yes, many calls from Rachel, Bridget, Brittany, and their cohorts at Cardholder Services. Fastest hang up in the east.

Julie Moriarty
10-10-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm getting the Cardholder Services solicitations (and others) a lot now, since moving to Florida. I thought my registry on the Do Not Call List had expired. I checked and it's still active. :confused:

Jim Becker
10-10-2015, 2:15 PM
That is a known and long-time scam robocaller. They ignore "Do-not-call" lists and move things around to all kind of made-up numbers.

The best way to stop these calls most of the time is to use a free service called "nomorobo.com"...as long as your phone carrier is supported.

Lee Schierer
10-10-2015, 2:20 PM
I utilize our caller ID. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer it.

Brian Henderson
10-10-2015, 2:55 PM
I'm getting the Cardholder Services solicitations (and others) a lot now, since moving to Florida. I thought my registry on the Do Not Call List had expired. I checked and it's still active. :confused:

They don't care, they know that the government won't do a thing to them so they just ignore the DNC list.

Randy Red Bemont
10-10-2015, 3:45 PM

Yup me too.

Red

Brian Henderson
10-10-2015, 3:55 PM

I just don't have a landline so nobody ever calls.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2015, 4:16 PM
Last week I rushed to the phone to answer a call. It actually was a recorded call from my health care provider. I didn't have a pencil at hand quick enough to write down the needed information. Since then I have decided to allow all calls to go to message if I am not sitting next to the phone with a note pad and writing implement.

They don't care, they know that the government won't do a thing to them so they just ignore the DNC list.

In order for the government to do anything the agency that is supposed to do something needs to be funded. Apparently there is enough money in telephone scams to share with those who consider funding to consider zero funding toward stopping scam calls.

When I get a live person, usually by pressing 3, I express my delight of them calling me again after saying the last call was the last one. Then I tell them I do not do business with people who lie to me. If they haven't hung up by then I say anything I can think of that might ruin their day.

They really are just a bunch of mindless trolls who can not find honest work. If people stopped falling for the scam, they would have to do something else.

jtk

John McClanahan
10-10-2015, 4:28 PM
When I get these at work, I always put them on hold. I figure the more of their time I can waste, the less time they will have to prey on other people.

John

Gordon Eyre
10-10-2015, 5:29 PM
When I get these at work, I always put them on hold. I figure the more of their time I can waste, the less time they will have to prey on other people.

John

We need more people like you John.

Duane Meadows
10-10-2015, 6:05 PM
Last week I rushed to the phone to answer a call. It actually was a recorded call from my health care provider. I didn't have a pencil at hand quick enough to write down the needed information. Since then I have decided to allow all calls to go to message if I am not sitting next to the phone with a note pad and writing implement.

In order for the government to do anything the agency that is supposed to do something needs to be funded. Apparently there is enough money in telephone scams to share with those who consider funding to consider zero funding toward stopping scam calls.

When I get a live person, usually by pressing 3, I express my delight of them calling me again after saying the last call was the last one. Then I tell them I do not do business with people who lie to me. If they haven't hung up by then I say anything I can think of that might ruin their day.

They really are just a bunch of mindless trolls who can not find honest work. If people stopped falling for the scam, they would have to do something else.

jtk

There have been many webposts stating the only thing that will get is more calls! Guess if it makes you feel better, but the general consensus seems to be that the best thing is to just hang up. They are less likely to decide to hassle you just because.

Not sure mcuh of anything works other than the norobo thing!

Duane Meadows
10-10-2015, 6:08 PM

John

Generally they hang up fairly quickly when you do that... automated systems and all! Anything beyond 15 -20 seconds, just tying up your own phone.

John A langley
10-10-2015, 6:27 PM
I asked do I OU money they say no, then I ask do you owe me money they say no , then I tell then I don't think we have anything to talk about.

Tony Zona
10-10-2015, 6:39 PM
Nomorobo appears to be nonsense garbage for all those with normal landlines and cell phones.

William C Rogers
10-10-2015, 6:49 PM
Called today as a matter of fact. Keep blocking number, but they keep changing. I use to work in the area code they are now using as to why I answer as it could be someone I know.

Brian Henderson
10-10-2015, 7:23 PM

If you get on the DNC website, it specifically says they do not address individual complaints. There's a ton of potential money to be made with virtually no downside. In order to report anything, you have to tell them what phone number the call comes from (impossible from blocked numbers) and what company is calling (a lot refuse to identify themselves, even though they are required by law to do so). Without that, you can't even file a complaint.

Considering the number of times that I've told the same companies to put me on their internal do not call lists, only to have it completely ignored, I don't think they care. There is no money to be made here, but they kept calling over and over and over again. Add to that all of the political calls that cannot be blocked and don't have to pay any attention to the DNC list, it was easier to just get rid of the landline. Now I never hear from any of them.

True, but so long as there are suckers out there, they will always have work. I just choose not to be bothered just because stupid people exist.

Barry McFadden
10-10-2015, 9:51 PM
I got a call once from the scam where they tell you they are from Microsoft and they have detected a problem with your system files but they can fix it now if you go to your computer and they will walk you through it. So I was sitting on my couch in the family room and playing dumb was acting really concerned about the problem. They wanted me to go to the computer so I said I'll go upstairs and sit in front of it (never leaving the couch). Made him wait 2 minutes then said I was there. He said "Ok..now click the start button"... I said "Oh the computer is off ... just wait till I turn it on"...after a couple more minutes I said "Ok... it's on now". He repeated to click the start button.. I replied "It's not fully up yet just hang on a couple of minutes"...made him wait some more... said "ok.. it's ready now".. he said "click on the start button".. I said" I don't see that on the keyboard..do you mean the print screen button"....this type of thing went on for a good 20 minutes ....me acting totally ignorant of how to use a computer..everything he asked me to do I pretended there was a problem ... then I said "Look ASS***E... I know it's a scam but I'm glad I wasted so much of your time without even leaving my couch"... then all I heard was "click"... felt good scamming him..

Yonak Hawkins
10-10-2015, 9:55 PM
There was a story some while back of some people who filed suits against callers, whom they had requested to be put on their do-not-call list and continued to get calls, in small claims court. Reportedly, they were filing for $1000 per incident and were winning and making out pretty good. I wonder if that can be done or if it was all a hoax.

Kevin Nathanson
10-11-2015, 4:20 AM
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/whats-deal-rachel-card-services-your-top-3-questions-answered

Curt Harms
10-11-2015, 9:01 AM
That is a known and long-time scam robocaller. They ignore "Do-not-call" lists and move things around to all kind of made-up numbers.

The best way to stop these calls most of the time is to use a free service called "nomorobo.com"...as long as your phone carrier is supported.

What Jim said. We get lots of 'one ring' calls. I believe your phone carrier must support simultaneous ring.

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

I'm confused about NoMoRobo's cell phone support. It shows this message:

"Unfortunately, Nomorobo is not available on traditional analog landlines or wireless phones at this time."

Yet on the signup page step 1 is 'list your carriers' and AT&T and Verizon wireless among others are on the list. Wireless phones are not supported? I'm confused there.

Lee Schierer
10-11-2015, 9:04 AM
Nomorobo appears to be nonsense garbage for all those with normal landlines and cell phones.

It does not appear that nomorobo works for land lines. Verizon is not listed unless you have fios, which is an internet service.

Curt Harms
10-11-2015, 9:12 AM
It does not appear that nomorobo works for land lines. Verizon is not listed unless you have fios, which is an internet service.

Right, it says that analog lines are not supported. I suspect that's because 'POTS' doesn't support simultaneous ring.

Rich Riddle
10-11-2015, 9:17 AM
Well Rachel called back again, the one from cardholder services. This time it showed my own number as the calling number. Apparently they are now spoofing caller ID units so that it makes them more difficult to block.

http://cjonline.com/news/business/2014-06-29/bbb-beware-rachel-cardholder-services

George Bokros
10-11-2015, 11:14 AM
. Apparently they are now spoofing caller ID units so that it makes them more difficult to block.

They have been doing this for some time.

Brian Henderson
10-11-2015, 2:24 PM
I got a call once from the scam where they tell you they are from Microsoft and they have detected a problem with your system files but they can fix it now if you go to your computer and they will walk you through it. So I was sitting on my couch in the family room and playing dumb was acting really concerned about the problem. They wanted me to go to the computer so I said I'll go upstairs and sit in front of it (never leaving the couch). Made him wait 2 minutes then said I was there. He said "Ok..now click the start button"... I said "Oh the computer is off ... just wait till I turn it on"...after a couple more minutes I said "Ok... it's on now". He repeated to click the start button.. I replied "It's not fully up yet just hang on a couple of minutes"...made him wait some more... said "ok.. it's ready now".. he said "click on the start button".. I said" I don't see that on the keyboard..do you mean the print screen button"....this type of thing went on for a good 20 minutes ....me acting totally ignorant of how to use a computer..everything he asked me to do I pretended there was a problem ... then I said "Look ASS***E... I know it's a scam but I'm glad I wasted so much of your time without even leaving my couch"... then all I heard was "click"... felt good scamming him..

That's a common scam, I used to get it all the time, but remember, you wasted just as much of your own time as you did theirs. Personally, my time is worth more than that.

Barry McFadden
10-11-2015, 3:30 PM
That's a common scam, I used to get it all the time, but remember, you wasted just as much of your own time as you did theirs. Personally, my time is worth more than that.

Well... I'm not the type of person that thinks every second of my day is critical...you may be on the go 24 hours a day but for the vast majority of us there is a lot of down time where you can waste some ones time while you're doing nothing anyway...I really don't think you can say that every second of your day is occupied with important things to do... and you don't just sit back and relax sometime with nothing to do..

Roger Feeley
10-11-2015, 7:58 PM
There was a story some while back of some people who filed suits against callers, whom they had requested to be put on their do-not-call list and continued to get calls, in small claims court. Reportedly, they were filing for $1000 per incident and were winning and making out pretty good. I wonder if that can be done or if it was all a hoax.

That was a thing called, "Private Citizen". The guy was an expert at following a script and then sueing the callers in small claims court and winning. Then he branched out and took memberships. Basically, you would follow the script and turn the evidence over to him and he would sue. He would keep the money to pay for his time and trouble. But you got the satisfaction of causing pain.

Bruce Wrenn
10-11-2015, 9:38 PM
As for phone numbers, they can spoof any number to appear on your called ID. We often get calls from OUR NUMBER. We let answering machine answer ALL calls. You know it's a robo call when they are talking while the machines is still playing the message. Never fall for the press 9 to be removed from our list. That tells them this is a good number, and will call again. I not only get "cardholder services, but also GE home security regularly. We don't answer any calls coming from the 615 area code- period!

Wade Lippman
10-11-2015, 10:13 PM
What Jim said. We get lots of 'one ring' calls. I believe your phone carrier must support simultaneous ring.

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Their website is confusing. Anyone use this . Effective? Free?

Wade Lippman
10-11-2015, 10:22 PM
That was a thing called, "Private Citizen". The guy was an expert at following a script and then sueing the callers in small claims court and winning. Then he branched out and took memberships. Basically, you would follow the script and turn the evidence over to him and he would sue. He would keep the money to pay for his time and trouble. But you got the satisfaction of causing pain.

I seriously doubt that. You have to sue in the jurisdiction of the defendant. Finding out who is responsible is generally impossible, and traveling to sue them impractical.
And of course you can only sue for damages. It would be difficult to demonstrate how you had $1,000 damages from a phone call.
He would have no grounds for suing for what happened to someone else, and evidence turned over to him would be inadmissible unless the victim goes to court also.
Not to mention the problems of collecting from someone you can't even find.

Matt Meiser
10-11-2015, 11:06 PM

Their criminals...disobeying one law, why would it bother them to ignore another. Kind of like another current topic. Maybe we need a sign declaring a scam free zone?

Duane Meadows
10-12-2015, 7:53 AM
Their criminals...disobeying one law, why would it bother them to ignore another. Kind of like another current topic. Maybe we need a sign declaring a scam free zone?

Or we could just outlaw phones! oops, probably getting to close to political...

Pat Barry
10-12-2015, 8:02 AM
Rachel usually tells me there is nothing wrong with my account so I thank her for letting me know, then say goodbye.

ALAN HOLLAR
10-12-2015, 9:47 AM
According to Consumer Reports, the optimum response to a robo call is an immediate hang up.

whit richardson
10-12-2015, 9:58 AM
Here's how it's done...

https://youtu.be/a6a-CZMrVAg

Brian Henderson
10-12-2015, 2:45 PM

If the government would prosecute these people thoroughly and fine them $10,000 per offense, they'd stop because it would be unprofitable to continue. The government has better things to do, or at least they think they do, so these scammers are entirely safe to continue doing what they're doing and they know it. It isn't about them respecting the law, it's about them having virtually no consequences for violating it. So long as that's true, they will continue unabated.

Matt Meiser
10-12-2015, 4:02 PM
If the government would (could?) prosecute them for stealing people's information the same would happen. These aren't legitimate companies. And a lot of them aren't even originating in the US regardless of what you think your caller ID is telling you.

Matt Meiser
10-12-2015, 4:02 PM
Here's how it's done...

https://youtu.be/a6a-CZMrVAg

Still one of my favorite Bob and Tom skits!

Jim Koepke
10-12-2015, 4:05 PM
If the government would prosecute these people thoroughly and fine them $10,000 per offense, they'd stop because it would be unprofitable to continue.

There may be a couple of problems here.

One, if the agency responsible for prosecuting these people has no funds to go after them, then it ain't gonna happen.

Two, some of these scammers are not within the United States. It isn't quite right for our police to start enforcing our laws in other countries.

jtk

Brian Henderson
10-12-2015, 7:30 PM
There may be a couple of problems here.

One, if the agency responsible for prosecuting these people has no funds to go after them, then it ain't gonna happen.

Two, some of these scammers are not within the United States. It isn't quite right for our police to start enforcing our laws in other countries.

jtk

I agree. That's why I said if we *WOULD* prosecute, not that we will, or even can. The fact is, the government isn't going to save us from the scammers, nobody is going to ride in on a white horse to protect us from being stupid, people have to be educated enough and willing to do it for themselves.

Jim Becker
10-13-2015, 7:52 PM
Their website is confusing. Anyone use this . Effective? Free?
Yes, I've been using it for some time now with great success. If the line only rings once...it's a known robo call and they "kill" the call. But your phone service needs to be compatible with it. I'm on Verizon FiOS and it's compatible.

Jim Becker
10-13-2015, 7:57 PM
On the subject of government prosecution of robo calling scammers...they absolutely do prosecute them--> When they can find them and if they are within jurisdiction. There were a few cases of successful prosecution in the past year. Unfortunately, there is a vast number of scammers who are not "touchable" as has already been noted...they are not physically within the jurisdiction of our government and they use technology to further mask who and where they are. Services such as nomorobo are effective to the extent they are because of members reporting calls as new robo-scams come into play. They don't catch all of the calls, but it's pretty amazing to me how many times I get the "one ring dance" during a 24 hour period...

Curt Harms
10-14-2015, 8:22 AM
Here's what makes me shake my head about telemarketers. I gather calls using VoIP and other technologies are really cheap to place but they do cost something. A certain % of those calls have to pay off to make it worth the telemarketers while . Are there that many gullible people out there? I guess so ...........

Dan Hintz
10-14-2015, 9:08 AM
I gather calls using VoIP and other technologies are really cheap to place but they do cost something.

I could run a large call center on just my FiOS line coming into my home (I have the 5/15 package... oops, I think they upgraded it to 25/25 a few months back, but still). Essentially, I would be paying about $50/month for my connection, so even if I scam a single person a month I come out ahead.