PDA

View Full Version : Copper Gutters

Rich Riddle
10-10-2015, 8:24 AM
Has anyone ever installed copper gutters. After getting prices from a couple of continuous gutter contractors it became apparent I could install copper gutters for a few more dollars. That's surprising. They seem to hold up fairly well in pictures of old homes.

Stan Calow
10-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Rich they definitely look high end, but they've also been a target of copper thieves around here.

Kent Adams
10-10-2015, 10:49 AM
It really depends on the house you own. Copper gutters with a slate roof look fantastic. Ranches with a copper gutter and typical laminated shingles look out of place in my opinion.

Neil Gaskin
10-10-2015, 12:51 PM
We have installed copper gutters on several projects over the years. I'm surprised it is only a few dollars more, around me it's 3-4 times the cost of standard aluminum.

From a service life perspective I really doubt you're going to notice a real difference, aluminum will last a long time. There are also aluminum gutters available that look like new copper, but they will not patina as copper will so you will loose some of the "look" in my opinion.

As stated above, if it will increase the curb appeal as with a slate or other high end roof or you like the look yourself go for it. If you are doing it simply because you would like a longer life span I would not bother.

If you are using standard k-style gutters I would look at the roof plane and put more thought into size. 6" will clog less than 5" and to me they look better anyway. I would use 3x4 rather than 2x3 down-spouts regardless of gutter size.

Mel Fulks
10-10-2015, 1:13 PM
I especially agree with Neil on the larger downspouts. Makes a big difference ,for one thing the gutter drain hole size for the smaller gutters tends to be ridiculously undersized.

Tom M King
10-10-2015, 1:20 PM
I agree with everything anyone has posted on this thread so far. I could have written any of it myself.