PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Else Listen....

Mark Blatter
10-09-2015, 12:54 PM
...to NPR? Or am I one of the few?

I have been listening to NPR since the mid '90s and find that I enjoy it more today than ever. Yet I am a conservative, so go figure (this is not a political thread in any way). My favorite programs are Science Friday, ATC, a local one called Radio West, plus Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on Sat.

Larry Browning
10-09-2015, 1:55 PM
I listen to NPR about 90% of the time, mostly NPR Now on Satellite radio. Morning Edition in the morning on the way to work and Marketplace on the way home. They still play Car Talk replays on Saturday morning,

Matt Day
10-09-2015, 2:42 PM
I listen a lot. Normally with the NPR One app. It's a great way to get a good summary of the news without all the tv hype.

I also listen to a lot of npr/pri podcasts like This Amercan Life, Planet Money, Snap Judgement. If you haven't listened to podcasts, I highly recommend it for shop time.

I remember listening to npr and car talk with my dad in his shop when I was a kid (more background noise to me at that age). But I grew to like it a lot later on in life. So it feels good having it on when I'm in my shop.

Prashun Patel
10-09-2015, 3:04 PM
Yes, I love NPR too.

Matt, I didn't realize you were a Podcast listener. I thought I was the only one. I listen to those 3 you mentioned a lot. I also like Ted Radio Hour and Radiolab (my current favorite).

I was a Serial junkie last fall.

You should also check out 99 percent Invisible. That's not NPR, but it's just amazing.

Do you follow STL and the Woodtalk podcasts too? I used to think STL was the best, but Woodtalk has really grown on me. I think Mark S. has a lot of good, practical knowledge especially about finishing.

glenn bradley
10-09-2015, 3:07 PM
I'm with you. Wait, wait don't tell me yanks a good guffaw out of me every time. Science Friday is fun too. Car Talk, This American Life . . . so many others. I watch TV only when I am at other people's houses so other forms of entertainment are my mainstay.

Peter Kelly
10-09-2015, 3:28 PM
Same play list for me every Saturday when I'm in the shop: Car Talk, You Bet Your Garden, Snap Judgement, This American Life, All Things Considered, Weekend Edition, etc.

That woman on Splendid Table is totally annoying so I usually change the station for that hour.

Mel Fulks
10-09-2015, 3:46 PM
Always especially liked the Saturday and Sunday news and interview shows. Still listen some but I dislike their efforts to bring in bigger audience with coverage of people involved in wrap and crudeness.

Brad Adams
10-09-2015, 4:27 PM
Saturday morning car talk for me too.

Patrick Walsh
10-09-2015, 4:27 PM
Daily...

At work at play.

Drives my fox news loving co-workers nuts so i keep the volume low and change the channel when we are working as a group.

Garth Almgren
10-09-2015, 4:34 PM
Love NPR, but I usually only listen to it on the weekends when I'm driving somewhere or when I'm mowing the lawn. My favorites are Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, This American Life, Weekend Edition, Swing Years & Beyond, and of course A Prairie Home Companion. I've stockpiled enough Car Talk and Prairie Home podcasts to get me through most of the next year or two worth of mowing. :)

Kent Adams
10-09-2015, 5:09 PM
Listen to it everyday while driving. Better than anything else out there in my opinion.

Shawn Pixley
10-09-2015, 6:54 PM
Long time member (Contributor). I loved Car talk, but I heard them all (podcasts for those I missed). Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Fresh Air (if there is someone I am interested in, but I think Teri Gross is an excellent interviewer), Ask Me Another, Moth Radio Hour (I love the live story slam), Radio Lab, Snap Judgement, ATC, and Morning Edition - all faves.

I might or might not listen to the day shows (the World, Marketplace, etc.) as I would be working, but a few that I did catch, I liked. Some I cared for less.

If I get bored or annoyed, I go to the iPod.

I got hooked in early eighties with ATC.

Allan Dozier
10-09-2015, 7:05 PM
Hardly listen to anything else on the radio. If there is some boring show on NPR I will surf some of the AM sports or news stations but if there is a commercial on I immediately keep searching. Seems like all the regular stations are dominated by commercials. Car Talk is the best show of all time. I also have a load of podcasts on my phone: Car Talk and three fly fishing podcasts. The different podcasts available out there sounds like a good subject for a new thread.

Jay Aubuchon
10-09-2015, 10:23 PM
I've been a regular NPR listener all of my adult life. Depending on what you count as adult, that makes about 40 years.

Matt Day
10-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Prashun,

I think there are a lot of closet podcast listeners. I got hooked after listening to all the Serial episodes last year, like many. Loved the series (and all the UVA connections, me being an alum), and my wife has gotten really into all the spin off podcasts. Too much detail for me, but interesting nonetheless.

I like all the podcasts you mentioned, and have started listening to Hidden Brain too. I just subscribed to 99% Hidden, so I'll check it out. Thx for the suggestion.

I don't listen to any ww'ing podcasts, yet. If I had more time in the shop I might, but I'm full up now.

Mark Blatter
10-09-2015, 10:30 PM
I have a 45 minute commute each way so listen to NPR each way. Any more when I try to find something else to listen too, I last about 2 minutes. I should have listed Snap Judgement too, but I pretty much listen to it as a pod cast. I drove to my brother's cabin in Montana this summer and spent the entire 6 hours listening to Snap Judgement pod casts.

I got hooked on it when I was living in Montana and routinely had 3 - 6 hour drives. I agree Car Talk was / is a good show as well, but it was never one of my favorites. PHC is one I really enjoy but seldom have the radio on at that time. The one show that I listen to, but find myself talking back to because I disagree so much, is the Diane Rehm show. I enjoy the topics for the most part, but Diane is a bit too liberal for me, though she mostly stays neutral, mostly.

I think I enjoy Morning Edition the most as they have so many interesting stories. I sent a link on one where they talked about Squirrels picking up the same warning cries as certain birds to my siblings, and one of my sisters told me that she had been listening to the same story, but reached school and had to stop. That has happened several times.

I got my oldest son hooked on it and one of my daughters listens occasionally too.

Glad to know I am not alone in my enjoyment of NPR.

Matt Day
10-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Speaking of enjoyment of npr, I should make a donation to help keep them on the air.