PDA

View Full Version : Killed the 3rd (fast) speed setting on in my lxt makita hammer drill

Mike Heidrick
10-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Killed the 3rd (fast) speed setting on in my lxt makita hammer drill. When drilling the clutch kicks in no matter what. Is this a DIY replaceable project? Anyone done something like this? Second and first speeds work fine.

Greg R Bradley
10-09-2015, 12:06 PM
If this is the three speed BDF451, I have at least two unused or virtually unused ones I was going to sell and they can't be worth any more than the part you need, which is called a Gear ASSEMBLY. It's ALL the clutch and gear change in one big part.

I've been trying to find the time to list a bunch on the Classified as I really need to thin the herd a bit. I just don't use LXT hammer drills as the very little I use a Hammer Drill, I use my Bosch 36v Hammer Drill. I mostly use Bosch 36v SDS for light masonry use. I have a couple of the LXT non-hammer drills that I use regularly.

Mike Schuch
10-09-2015, 12:57 PM
I consider battery powered tools disposable. The most expensive part of most of them seem to be the battery. I would just e-bay a new one or jump on the offer Greg is making you!

mreza Salav
10-09-2015, 1:42 PM
I don't have that model but a smaller (cordless) model has had a few times the top speed gear slipping. Have opened it up a few times and positioned the gears where they are supposed to be and goes back to use. I don't know why do the gears shift out of the shaft (as if you do speed change). Fix might be an easy thing once you open up the gear box...

Greg R Bradley
10-09-2015, 1:58 PM
And I just realized I made an error. I was at home and looked at my list of tools to sell/trade. When I arrived at work, I realized the BDF451 is the 3-speed, heavy duty, all metal gears Driver/Drill. I assumed it was the Hammer Drill which it isn't. The both look alike with the full metal chuck and metal front cap where the handle attaches. I believe the hammer drills went to my dad and/or brother.

If your's is the 454, I have several in use in a heavy construction company and they are hard to break.

peter gagliardi
10-09-2015, 4:21 PM
Welcome to the "wonderful world of Makita"! I have had very similar issues with mine, years ago. Precisely why I won't buy that brand again.

Mike Heidrick
10-09-2015, 5:23 PM
Ill check the model number again but pretty sure it is 454. Found a youtube video on the gear assembly replacement. Thanks everyone.

Mike Heidrick
10-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Mine is the 451 - It has hammer, drill and drive and 3 speeds.