PDA

View Full Version : Chisels

Jesse Busenitz
10-09-2015, 8:42 AM
I'm looking for a chisel set, as I was borrowing my dads but I figured it was time to get my own. I believe it was a Stanley #60 set, which I was really quite happy with, but is there something better? I don't use them a ton but I do like having a nice sharp chisel available for those certain projects. I open to all suggestions.

Nick Stokes
10-09-2015, 9:02 AM
I use the narex bevel edge chisel set from LeeV. or other places... Works fine for me... I don't doubt the expensive chisels are "better", but I can't justify them for now...

I did try to buy a stanley 750 from ebay. It looks awesome. But it was supposed to be 1", and it isn't... it is about 1/32 shy of an inch, and it took me a lot of honing to get it square, it had a convex edge when it got here... So I will probably not go down that road again...

Nicholas Lawrence
10-09-2015, 9:19 AM
Lots of options. I have a set of plastic handled ones from Stanley that do fine for what I ask of them. There are certainly much nicer (and more expensive) options.

A lady over in the classifieds is selling her husband's shop. She has a set of Freud chisels in there that look very nice. I don't know anything about that brand though.

lowell holmes
10-09-2015, 10:07 AM
I have some old Stanley 60's that are good chisels. I don't know if they are still available. I might try one of the chisels at Lowes that resemble the 60's and see how the metallurgy stacks up.
They sure resemble the 60's.

Charles Wiggins
10-09-2015, 10:17 AM
I use the narex bevel edge chisel set from LeeV. or other places... Works fine for me... I don't doubt the expensive chisels are "better", but I can't justify them for now...

Ditto.

10 characters

Matthew N. Masail
10-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Narex are really nice chisels. the handles I don't like. one day, when I have a lath, I'll buy a new set of Narex and make some nice handles for them.

Mike Holbrook
10-09-2015, 11:34 AM
There was a relatively recent post "Butt Chisel Recommendation" posted by Kent Adams that offers some basic information on choosing chisels. There is a great deal to learn about chisel types and how different people use them.

Many people start out with some set of chisels which is bought because the new woodworker is not exactly sure what work they may end up doing. Some of these chisels inevitably end up getting very little use. A little different idea that I have heard mentioned over the years is the idea of buying just a couple chisels for the specific work at hand and proceeding in that manner. Bench chisels are generally sort of all purpose chisels that may or may not be the "best" for specific work. There are chisels designed more to be used with hand pressure, and at the other end of the spectrum Japanese chisels, with iron hoops, designed to be struck with special steel hammers. Ultimately each individual finds what is more comfortable for the specific work they pursue. Buying a smaller quantity of specifically designed chisels for specific work may help a new user figure out which tools work best for the individual work they do. Later on the more experienced user may want an entire set of chisels of a type/style he knows he is comfortable with. Others have a few of several different types of chisels, each bought because of it's ability to do a specific job exceptionally well. In my experience chisels can be quite personal, different strokes for different folks if you will. Knowing this on the front end might suggest trying several different types of chisel before making a major purchase.

Nick Stokes
10-09-2015, 11:49 AM
I would totally agree that for a beginner, buying a set is not a wise idea, unless you buy an "inexpensive" set like the narex...

I wanted to cut dovetails one day, so I knew I needed chisels... I bought the 4 piece bench set from Narex... Of that Set, I use the 1/4 and 1/2 on every single thing it seems... I also just the 1" quite a bit as it is my widest chisel...

I used the 3/4 on building my workbench because I needed a 3/4 mortise...

But other sizes I haven't found the need for yet... I know know that I would like to buy a wide butt chisel for installing a hinge (my first attempt at this was bloody terrible... litterally)...

This ended kind of long, but I am just trying to dissuade you from purchasing a large set of 7 chisels or whatever, if I had done so they would often times be unused, and I would have been better off purchasing a "Nice quality" 1/2 or whatever...

Brian Holcombe
10-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Better is somewhat relative to experience and preference. At this point, having only used one set, you may be best served buying a handful of commonly used sizes as the gentlemen above me have also recommended.

I originally used Lie Nielsen, then went onto Koyamaichi, now I use Kikuhiromaru, Tasai and soon Konobu, my preference of this group leaning most heavily toward Kikuhiromaru as I've yet to try the Konobu. I no longer have any Lie Nielsen chisels, but I do still retain my Koyamaichi and still enjoy using them. I went through a period of climbing the ladder, so to speak, and now sort of appreciate all of the rungs.

So, my post is not a recommendation of brands/makers to chose, but simply to do some testing and as your woodworking advances your preference will as well (most likely). The preferences of the board are all over the place including Japanese, Western, and vintage, and the many many sub sets of those groups.

I still do not buy full sets for most of my users, I have one full set of chisels and will probably have another before I'm done acquiring chisels, but most of the odd-types are fine just in common sizes. For instance I have mortise chisels in 6mm and 12mm, dovetail chisels in 1.5, 3mm, 6mm and 12mm, paring chisels in large sizes, ect.

Jim Koepke
10-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm looking for a chisel set, as I was borrowing my dads but I figured it was time to get my own. I believe it was a Stanley #60 set, which I was really quite happy with, but is there something better? I don't use them a ton but I do like having a nice sharp chisel available for those certain projects. I open to all suggestions.

Howdy Jesse,

Some of my chisels are Stanley #60s and they are good chisels. Mostly though my preference is for socket chisels. It is easy to make handles for them. Due to an old injury, many handle styles are not comfortable for me to use all day. Making my own has helped alleviate that problem. One of my first chisels was a 1/2" Stanley #60 found for $1 at a flea market. It was used for mortises and dovetails until I was able to buy some new chisels.

There is a lot to consider with your question.

How are your finances? That can have a lot to do when considering a purchase of tools. My situation has mostly been having more time than money. Besides there is a certain joy to be found in hunting, finding and restoring old tools. Some have no desire to spend time searching for or fettling old tools. Some also find shop time to be a precious commodity.

One person mentioned a bad experience with buying a chisel on ebay and abandoning that path. I have bought some great tools via ebay and have also found a few duds. For me finding a chisel slightly undersize or oversize isn't a deal killer. Actually it works for me to have a few chisels slightly undersize, YMMV.

How much use will your chisels encounter? If you do a lot of work with chisels you may want to invest in a set that will serve you, your children and your grandchildren.

Do you want a full set or do you only need a few sizes? Some folks are like me and have multiple sets for multiple uses. Some folks have good reasons for only wanting two or three chisels.

There have been some recent posts about butt chisels and paring chisels with recommendations for Narex, Buck Brothers and Aldi. The first two are available on line, the other is a store brand that, to my knowledge, isn't available here in the Pacific Northwest.

A most important consideration is what kind of work will your chisels see and how much will they be used?

There are many options available. Knowing more about your work and other considerations will help to narrow down those options.

Remember that just about everyone loves to spend other folks money.

jtk

Ray Selinger
10-09-2015, 12:46 PM
In 60s and 70s, the Stanley yellow and black #60 were near the top of the Stanley line. So if you can find them at garage sales, they are worth picking up. Make sure they say Stanley ,as they are much copied, I have some American made Buck Bro. and a flea market find Japanese made Fuller. After using chisels, I found I liked the thin bladed, wood handled, Swedish and English from the 50s.

Any chisel will work, most of them well, if you can sharpen them.

David Bassett
10-09-2015, 2:23 PM
Woodcraft has a 4 piece Irwin Marples bench chisel set on sale for $25 this month. I've heard generally good things about them, though I don't know about this specific iteration / model. I plan to check them out my next visit to the store. Seems like they'd be a good starter set for someone to gain some experience.

Maybe someone who knows the different Irwin Marples models will comment on the quality of this set....

Michael Stockdale
10-09-2015, 2:35 PM
Jesse,

I happen to have a Narex 4-piece set that I want to get rid of... I found them a couple of weeks ago while digging thru a drawer full of stuff. To be honest, I had forgotten I had them and bought the 10 piece set which I am still working on getting properly sharpened. These are an early set, marked in metric widths (I think they came out with the metric ones before the fractional sizes were available). Shoot me a pm if your interested... They've never been sharpened.

Mike

george wilson
10-09-2015, 2:41 PM
I have heard many positive comments about Berg and Eskilstuna(sp?) Swedish chisels. The old Dutch master cabinet maker used to use them. Perhaps because he was European. The ones I have,which are probably from the 50's are too soft to suit me though. Their edges are easily marred on only moderately hard woods like mahogany. I have a lot of chisels,but seem to always use the 1960's Marples that I bought new. I would not recommend new ones,though.

Jesse Busenitz
10-09-2015, 6:53 PM
I'm not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on them but I don't want to buy trash either. I'm really only looking for a couple of the basic sizes( 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, and maybe 1 1/2". Are the new Stanley Sweetheart chisels any good, or are you paying a lot for name? Or what about these http://www.grizzly.com/products/Chisel-Set/T22302 ? I'd like something I can use a mallet on when I need to get serious.

Mike Cherry
10-09-2015, 7:03 PM
I bought a Lie Nielsen 1/2" chisel and then a Lee Valley 1/4" chisel so that I could get a feel for both. I am a Lie Nielsen man it would seem. The great thing is that, when taken care of, these tools hold their value so you can sell them off if need be.

I have held my fathers Stanley socket chisel set and the felt very close to the Lie Nielsens but without the price tag. I have heard that they are a bit hit or miss on how much work the faces need to get them flat.

Joshua Hancock
10-09-2015, 7:38 PM
Alright brother, just to let ya know, you opened a can of worms with this topic and yes those worms are right now ruining your tomatoes and eating your wife's roses. But dont worry the cave by the creek is here to help you kill the worms and save the roses .

I had the same delimma, same price range and went with the Lee Valley Narex classic for the following reasons.

1. Google em, they review very well and couple of the big magazines have praised them for their quality and value.

2. Google em again, they review well on the forums as well by more than a vfewery qualified Wood Smiths.

3. The four piece set of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch sells for 45 bucks. and they sell the other sizes individually for about the price of a case of beer, or in some cases a six pack

4. After you buy them I discovered these things easily take and hold a good sharp edge, even if you use a mallet (they have hoops!). You can pay for these things by using them to shave with for a couple months instead of a Gillette. It will take a few days to get use to, however Narex Chisels + Jesse not buying razors = Bank Account Win.

5. They come in a lovely shade of Brown.

Just mah two pesos.

Have a good'un,
Josh

Jesse Busenitz
10-09-2015, 7:47 PM
4. After you buy them I discovered these things easily take and hold a good sharp edge, even if you use a mallet (they have hoops!). You can pay for these things by using them to shave with for a couple months instead of a Gillette. It will take a few days to get use to, however Narex Chisels + Jesse not buying razors = Bank Account Win.

ROTFL!!! Problem is, I have a full beard so all I do is trim!

Jude Kenny
10-09-2015, 8:19 PM
I got the Narex set too for most of the same reasons Josh gave.

I got the larger set of seven. I have found that I mainly use the 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 for close work and the 1" for most everything else. So, I haven't knocked much use out of the 5/8. 3/4 or 7/8. I'd like an 1/8", but they don't have one.

I have used them for all uses and they worked fine. I've since found some old brutes of Craftsmen chisels I've used a couple of times for mortising as I don't have mortise chisels.

On the Narex chisels, I cut off the hoops and shaped the handle to give me the balance I like. They were too handle heavy for me.

Jim Belair
10-09-2015, 9:09 PM
On the Narex chisels, I cut off the hoops and shaped the handle to give me the balance I like. They were too handle heavy for me.

Those handles look good! I hardly recognize them....

george wilson
10-09-2015, 9:53 PM
Narex chisels have been recommended many times by many people here. There must be something to it!

Jesse Busenitz
10-10-2015, 8:45 AM
Narex chisels have been recommended many times by many people here. There must be something to it!

Seems like they might be worth a try!

Mike Holbrook
10-10-2015, 12:40 PM
I believe there is more to this than just picking a brand based on price. Even within most brands there are different models to choose from. Narex, offers a ton of different types of chisels: carving, paring, designed to be struck, maybe ok to be struck..... Narex has made up variations of models for sellers. Highland Woodworking use to sell a model specific to them, not sure if they still do. By trying a couple different types the OP may find he likes one style of handle/blade better for one kind of work and another for another type work. He might buy 2-3 of two to three types instead of a whole set. It may not matter how great a deal you got on a tool or set of tools if you never use some of them or wind up replacing them with something you like better.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2015, 1:30 PM
I believe there is more to this than just picking a brand based on price.

Yes, choosing on price alone can lead to frustration. Though there seems to be many good choices in a reasonable price range.

For me, it is very important how a tool feels in my hands. This may not be as important to others. It is often my recommendation a buyer tries to handle a tool before purchase. In today's world of online shopping this can be difficult if not impossible.

Money may be wasted if a tool is never used. When it comes to chisels, my 2" is the least used followed by my 3mm and 1/8". Most of my unused tools came in deals for a group buy. If they are worth the time to list here or on ebay, they are sold. If you can break even or make a little profit it isn't too bad.

Of course for all but a few, a tools performance is a primary consideration. The performance factor, along with personal preferences, can be a wide area to consider.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
10-10-2015, 5:34 PM
Yes, choosing on price alone can lead to frustration. Though there seems to be many good choices in a reasonable price range.

For me, it is very important how a tool feels in my hands. This may not be as important to others. It is often my recommendation a buyer tries to handle a tool before purchase. In today's world of online shopping this can be difficult if not impossible.

Money may be wasted if a tool is never used. When it comes to chisels, my 2" is the least used followed by my 3mm and 1/8". Most of my unused tools came in deals for a group buy. If they are worth the time to list here or on ebay, they are sold. If you can break even or make a little profit it isn't too bad.

Of course for all but a few, a tools performance is a primary consideration. The performance factor, along with personal preferences, can be a wide area to consider.

jtk

I thought the discussion above was directed at specific chisels, Narex, which a number of people found to be a sound choice. The point being even in a given type of chisel like Narex there are choices to be made. Some of those choices do not relate to money but the preferences of the user and the suitability of the tool for specific work. It seems that it can be very hard to get off the topic of cost on this forum, so much seems to get redirected back there. Is a Narex paring chisel the best for an OP or is a sturdier Narex chisel with hoops on the handle? How about blade design, handle design, how well does the steel edge stand up to the job. Why are we discussing how to break even or make a little profit selling used tools here instead of tool performance? Yes, the performance factor and personal preferences are important too, maybe we could discuss those factors. Does tool performance relate more to brands, cost, how to restore old tools, buying/selling used tools or the actual design and functionality of specific tools? Maybe whether or not someone finds a particular tool handle comfortable is important but we are all different, including our hand size....Isn't discussion of various handle types and the reason for these handle types just as or more important?

Bruce Haugen
10-10-2015, 6:49 PM
[major snippage]
When it comes to chisels, my 2" is the least used followed by my 3mm and 1/8". Most of my unused tools came in deals for a group buy.

jtk

My friend Bill Houghton gave me a plastic handled 2" Berg that never gets put away. It's the most used chisel I have and lives on my bench top. YMMV

Jim Koepke
10-10-2015, 8:04 PM
My friend Bill Houghton gave me a plastic handled 2" Berg that never gets put away. It's the most used chisel I have and lives on my bench top. YMMV

This is not surprising. We all do different things in our own ways.

One of my bigger chisels gets a lot of work cutting rope.

When my fingernails get too long one of my carving gouges trims them very nicely.

jtk

Jim Koepke
10-10-2015, 8:17 PM
I thought the discussion above was directed at specific chisels, Narex, which a number of people found to be a sound choice.

That may have slipped my notice. My comments are still somewhat focused on the original post:

I don't use them a ton but I do like having a nice sharp chisel available for those certain projects. I open to all suggestions.

The point being even in a given type of chisel like Narex there are choices to be made. Some of those choices do not relate to money but the preferences of the user and the suitability of the tool for specific work. It seems that it can be very hard to get off the topic of cost on this forum, so much seems to get redirected back there. Is a Narex paring chisel the best for an OP or is a sturdier Narex chisel with hoops on the handle? How about blade design, handle design, how well does the steel edge stand up to the job. Why are we discussing how to break even or make a little profit selling used tools here instead of tool performance?

Without knowing more about the OP and what they are planning to do the question of which Narex chisel is best for them can not be answered.

If they do a lot of chisel work using a mallet they will want a heavier chisel.

If the work is mostly paring then the lighter chisel might be all that is needed.

Another thought when answering questions on SMC is next week, month, year or hopefully even decade a web search may find this thread for a beginning woodworker. There may be possibilities mentioned that haven't occurred to the OP or a future reader of this thread.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
10-10-2015, 10:36 PM
"Another thought when answering questions on SMC is next week, month, year or hopefully even decade a web search may find this thread for a beginning woodworker. There may be possibilities mentioned that haven't occurred to the OP or a future reader of this thread."

Exactly, which is why there may be more relevance in discussing specific "performance" considerations: types of chisels, handle designs, blade designs, what kind of mallet/hammer a specific chisel might or might not be designed to be hit with.....Who knows what might be the: favorite/most expensive/most cost effective/best/most restorable....a decade from now. Todays premium tool may be tomorrows bargain brand and todays bargain might be a premium tool a decade from now, there is no way to know. Not long ago Japanese electronics were considered"cheap", not so much anymore. That sword cuts both ways.

"Without knowing more about the OP and what they are planning to do the question of which Narex chisel is best for them can not be answered."
Right, which is why I think chisel: types, and the features/benefits of specific handle, blade....design as they relate to chisel "performance" are important topics regardless of brand name, current cost, even current preferences.

Brad Roof
10-11-2015, 12:00 AM
I have narex chisels and like them. I got the 4 piece set and 1.5" one in addition to the set. As others have said I use the .5" and .25" ones the most. The 1.5" one gets its fair share of use as well. These are a great value. I thought they were the best value until I picked up a set of the aldi chisels for fun. All of the backs were slightly concave which made flattening the backs easy. They are 4 metric sizes close to the standard set of narex 4. They all took an edge and cut just as well as the narex ones. All for the grand price of 4.99. If you happen to see a set, go for it.

Jim Koepke
10-11-2015, 2:33 AM
All for the grand price of 4.99. If you happen to see a set, go for it.

That is a tempting price. How can they even ship them for that price?

Heck, at that price one could make a set of fishtail chisels with them.

jtk

Brad Roof
10-12-2015, 12:00 AM
Paul sellers has written extensively about them. They are made in China but they are much nicer than a cheap set I bought at HF many years ago. I have not used them extensively like my narex ones but they definitely took an edge and held it well for some paring work. I have not done any chopping yet but I thought they were very nice and well built. The design has German roots in terms of size and shape of the handles. The wood is ash or something similar. I gave my set away as a gift after I tuned and cleaned them all up. Yeah I don't know how they sell for so little but there must be a reason it makes sense for someone. I might have bought mine knocked down 2 dollars from the original price but still ridiculous.

Tony Shea
10-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I hate to say it but I just absolutely love my Lie Nielsen A2 chisels. I have all sorts of different chisels, LV, Koyamachi, Two Cherries, Hirsch, Iyoroi, Nishiki, Imai, etc. I don't have any real high end Japanese chisels like the Tasai's, not to say that I don't want some, but I just continue to pick up my Lie Nielsen chisels. They are a perfect chisel IMO. They have an amazing feel to them, stay sharp relatively long, and sharpen easily. I hollow grind my LN's and hone freehand which makes sharpening the A2 steel a breeze. If I had it to do all over again I would have just bought all LN chisels until I had all the sizes I needed. But being a tool junkie I just had to have something different to try out. But I have never been more impressed than I have with the simple but elegant LN chisels, I just can't fault them.

I am of the camp that you should spend the extra scratch and get something that will last your lifetime, and if you lose interest the extra money you spent on the item will resale for as much or just a little less than what you paid. LN tools are currently selling for the same price used as they are new, not sure why but they are.

Jesse Busenitz
11-13-2015, 6:30 PM

I went and bought a Narex chisel set and I couldn't let them bang around in my drawer so I whipped this tray together. I used some curly walnut that I had milled here a couple years ago, and also curly maple I had laying around. This is pre-finish, but the wood really popped when I sprayed it. I'll try and post a finished pic here next week.

steven c newman
11-13-2015, 7:46 PM
been bored lately, trying to get the back healed up. Started sharpening up what I do have as "go-to" chisels....
Finding a few Stanleys, Witherbys, and those newer Aldis Chisel Sellers likes.
Butcher, and New Haven for mortise chisels..not sure where this big guy came from..
1.5" wide! Widest one I have. Might have cost a whopping $1, too.
There is a skinny 1/8" Buck Brothers ( NOT the Home Depot ones) mortise chisel sitting there, as well....also was a dollar bill.
Still have a few more to clean up
Yeah, lovly, eh? That BIG framer is by VanCamp....1-3/8" wide...half a mile long.

Mainly, I keep an eye out at sales, and Antique Stores.....never know what might show up....like an old Buck Brothers 1/8" Mortise chisel....

Robert Engel
11-14-2015, 10:32 AM
+5 on the Narex. Great value.

michael langman
11-15-2015, 10:43 AM
I have used the Stanley fat max chisels and like them a lot. The narex may be better in some opinions, but the fat max get good reviews from many carpenters. The price is about 8 dollars a chisel.