PDA

View Full Version : Issue with GO632 Banjo

Jeff Walters
10-09-2015, 8:15 AM
Hi All,

I thought I would mention this because it is possible that some of you have had this issue or one like it. I have had my lathe for about 3 months now and love it however the other day I was setting up to turn pens and to get the tool rest close to the blank, I had to push the banjo all the way in. When I did that, it was stuck. I could not pull it back. I had no choice but to unbolt it from the bed, and turn it upside down to investigate. What I found was the slider with the bolt which I expected. What I did not expect to find was a type of bracket made of out a square piece of metal, a metal ring with a threaded rod welded to hold it all together and that surround the slider. It was not connected in any way to the slider though. What was happening is when I pushed the banjo all the way in, the square metal piece fell into the wide opening in the casting stopping it form moving.

I contacted Grizzly Tech Support and talk to Keith. After describing the issue he was very puzzled. He said he had not heard of any issues with the GO632 banjo and asked if I could send pictures and he would investigate. So I am now waiting for a response.

What I find interesting and what I told him was that I see no real reason for this bracket. It just slides along the bar but does not appear to assist the slider in any way. It looked like it was made of of spare parts and crudely put together. It also is not in the parts diagram. So it will be interesting to see what he comes back with.

I am including the pictures I sent him. Pic 1 shows one side of the metal piece caught in the casting, Pic 2 shows the other and Pic 3 shows the whole assembly.

Has anyone else had this issue or one like it?

Thanks,
Jeff

323043 323044 323045

Jeff Walters
10-09-2015, 3:49 PM
Well, I just heard from Grizzly and they are sending a replacement banjo. They did not say anything about the bracket so I wrote back and asked them what they found that led them to decide to replace the banjo.
Great customer service.

Jeff

Len Mullin
10-09-2015, 8:18 PM
Jeff, I don't own one of these lathes, so, I don't know a thing about them. But, I would like to know if you tried removing the loose pieces, to see if your bango will work with them removed?
Len

Jeff Walters
10-10-2015, 12:48 AM
I thought about it but decided to talk to tech support. I didn't want to do anything to affect the warentee. I am hoping Keith will give me a explaination for this bracket.

Jeff

Brian Myers
10-10-2015, 1:46 PM
My guess is it is a stop to keep the lock bracket from jamming against the front of the casting. It was added after they made up the parts list so they may have had issues after the first ones were made. The lock bracket is listed as V2.02.08 so that part must have been revised a few times.

Jeff Walters
10-19-2015, 9:22 PM
Hi All,

I got the new banjo base in this weekend and switched them out. You can see in the pic below the new one on the left and the old one on the right. Looks like the first issue was that the base was not milled properly. Secondly, tech support did say that the mysterious bracket does belong but did not tell me what it was for however when I had it out I saw the the corners on the opposite side were cut at t 45 degree angle so I put it in that way. After reinstalling the banjo, it was fine for a little while and then started sticking at different points. So I pulled it apart and reversed the bracket and the same thing happened. I have now remove the bracket all together and the banjo is working smoothly.

Jeff323669