PDA

View Full Version : Trend T-4 Router Improvement

Fred Heenie
10-09-2015, 7:33 AM
I have a couple of T-4 plunge routers and have loved the routers, hated the switches since day one. Due to a broken switch lever replacement, I learned that the switch problems have been cured. Trend has a fix for the switch lever that is Dyn-O -Mite. The replacement lever works like a dream and worth every penny to change out the old sticky thingy on this tool.
FWIW and Kudos to the people at Trend.

ken masoumi
10-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I have a Trend T-4 and agree the on/off switch is a bit awkward to use but I have managed to live with it,tried to google Dy-o-Mite "fix" and couldn't find anything.

Mike McGrath
10-09-2015, 11:35 PM
The T-4 is nice to work with; both for routing and free hand carving. Have you used the small foot that is included in the kit for balance with any jigs or templates Fred? I have used mine with the Trend VariJig and it does make a big difference.

Fred Heenie
10-10-2015, 7:26 AM
Ken - Dyn-O-Mite fix is not searchable that I know about ;^) but a check of the Trend manual will provide a part number and contact info to purchase a new re designed lever. At less than 2 bucks a piece a great buy IMHO.

Fred Heenie
10-10-2015, 7:31 AM
Mike -I used the Bosch 1613 for years and still do for heavier work and 1/2" shank bits, but the T-4 is compact, light weigh and has ample power for 1/4" shank bits. I use flat for assembly plunges, mortises and round nose for what carving I find necessary. For jigs I have been limited too the edge guide and bushing or a clamped straight edge..

Mike McGrath
10-10-2015, 8:22 PM
Fred, when you need to rout a cavity or opening it is easy to carpet tape four boards in position like the VariJig.(I did this for years) That little foot attachment for the T-4 goes on one of the sub base plate screws and the added stability makes the job much easier. Just install the guide bushing and away you go.

The 1613 is a great router; I use mine on a regular basis. It is a plunge only case version of the 1617 which it predates. It uses a type 4 Musclechuck like the current production models; if you change bits a lot or need an extra 5/8" of cutting depth it is a great solution. I was impressed enough that I talked the company into making them available for all the popular routers. I have them installed on many of my routers.

Rick Potter
10-11-2015, 2:47 AM
Mike,

Does it work on a T-3? Mine hasn't been dependable since I got it. Picked up a T-4 cheap on sale, and the switch is sticky, but works ok. Keep them because the DC works well.

Fred Heenie
10-11-2015, 7:18 AM
My "sticky switch" predated the switch eventually falling off. That is what brought me to the new switch availability. Don't know about the T-3.

Fred Heenie
10-11-2015, 7:24 AM
I have a full stable of Bosch routers as well and Pat Warner Acrylic edge sub bases for my Colt and 1617. Pattern routing is routine for me too. The Varijig is something that would work for me and I will be checking that out. I build a substantial number of Kneelers and engrave a cross or two on most. Thanks!!!

Mike McGrath
10-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Rick, Musclechucks are for routers that accept 1/2" collets.

ken masoumi
10-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Ken - Dyn-O-Mite fix is not searchable that I know about ;^) but a check of the Trend manual will provide a part number and contact info to purchase a new re designed lever. At less than 2 bucks a piece a great buy IMHO.
Thanks Fred,I'll try to order it locally, sounds like an easy fix .

Rick Potter
10-11-2015, 2:24 PM
Sorry Mike, that was for Fred. My bad.