PDA

View Full Version : External wall Fan

Julian Ashcroft
10-09-2015, 5:05 AM
The laser I'm thinking of buying comes with a floor mounted fan, which stops the laser sitting close to the wall. As room in my workshop is at a premium I would like the laser right against the wall. My current laser which has an internal fan has a duct run to the outside air of about 10". For the new laser I'm thinking of a fan mounted on the external wall with the duct run from the back of the machine through the external wall to the fan being about 10".

I done a little googling and came across this unit (haven't put a link as I'm not sure if that's allowed):

150mm UEC External Centrifugal Fan

These models are exhaust air fans for installation on external walls. The unit consists of an external rotor motor fitted with a backward-curved centrifugal fan in a housing manufactured in zinc-plated steel, protected with a tough white powder-coat finish. All ambient noise created by the fan is kept outside the building if it is installed on an external wall.

TYPICAL APPLICATION
Ideal for applications where it is vital that the noise levels are at an absolute minimum e.g. recording studios or medical consulting rooms. However, they are also commonly used in domestic kitchens.

For outdoor wall installation
Removes noise from the inside of the building
Robust but unobtrusive
High performance
Speed controllable
IPx4 rated
Thermal protection
Ball bearing motors

It's meant to extract 600 cubic metres an hour, would this work?

Mike Null
10-09-2015, 6:30 AM
Here is a link to what I think you are describing. http://www.fastlec.co.uk/150mm-external-centrifugal-fan-600m3-hr

My quick mental calculation (if accurate) would suggest that it doesn't have enough capacity for your job--but I'll defer to those more expert on such things.

Dan Hintz
10-09-2015, 7:13 AM
That fan is only good for 350 CFM, and that assumes (most likely) 0" SP... your system will not be at 0" SP if you hope to actually evacuate smoke, so the CFM will drop significantly.

Andrew Holloway
10-09-2015, 11:43 PM
I do like the look of this style of fan. I plan to get one of these when I move to a new premises.

They do come on 200mm:
http://www.fansonline.com.au/fanco-vcn-centrifugal-external-inline-fan-200mm.html
And a speed controller dial:
http://www.fansonline.com.au/speed-control-variable.html

Keith Winter
10-10-2015, 12:09 AM
That doesn't appear to be a traditional blower. Appears to be more something for a bathroom, I don't think it will move enough air. Buy a 1 hp dust collector if your laser is small or a 2 hp if it's very large, throw out the bags and hook it outside the wall and you're good to go, just make sure it pulls enough cfm.

On another note. Please add your laser info to your signature and your location so we can better help you and make recommendations.

The laser I'm thinking of buying comes with a floor mounted fan, which stops the laser sitting close to the wall. As room in my workshop is at a premium I would like the laser right against the wall. My current laser which has an internal fan has a duct run to the outside air of about 10". For the new laser I'm thinking of a fan mounted on the external wall with the duct run from the back of the machine through the external wall to the fan being about 10".

I done a little googling and came across this unit (haven't put a link as I'm not sure if that's allowed):

150mm UEC External Centrifugal Fan

These models are exhaust air fans for installation on external walls. The unit consists of an external rotor motor fitted with a backward-curved centrifugal fan in a housing manufactured in zinc-plated steel, protected with a tough white powder-coat finish. All ambient noise created by the fan is kept outside the building if it is installed on an external wall.

TYPICAL APPLICATION
Ideal for applications where it is vital that the noise levels are at an absolute minimum e.g. recording studios or medical consulting rooms. However, they are also commonly used in domestic kitchens.

For outdoor wall installation
Removes noise from the inside of the building
Robust but unobtrusive
High performance
Speed controllable
IPx4 rated
Thermal protection
Ball bearing motors

It's meant to extract 600 cubic metres an hour, would this work?

Julian Ashcroft
10-10-2015, 2:44 AM
Signature added.

Andrew Holloway
10-10-2015, 2:56 AM
Would either of these be suitable Keith?
https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-control/dust-extractors/dust-extractor-1hp-1-c-30kg-67-42-45-cm
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W886

Also, is there simple solution/adapter for running ducting through a wall or window and leaving a weather tight hole around it? Like a short length of non flexible ducting with a mounting plate attached?

Keith Winter
10-10-2015, 1:36 PM
Hi Andrew,

For a speedy 100 60w, or any other small to mid laser, either one you listed on a short run should work fine, they say they pull 680cpm. However I'm less familiar with the w886 layout so I don't know how the suction "in" port works, it's probably standard but cannot see it in the photo. Avoid a lot of sharp turns and pipe with 6" or your closest standard size equivalent would be my suggestion. Having ripped out a 4" duct it pays to do it right in 6" I learned the hard way.

As far as the wall.
I was speaking of the wall as an interior wall, like you work in one room and you stick the blower in the other. Then the blower has an vent pipe going out the window. You can also mount the blower outside if you don't have this luxury or mount it inside with you if you must (note it will be crazy loud in a garage or other space with lots of hard surfaces).

If you put the blower outside you will want to cover the blower so as to avoid rain getting on it. A simple shanty will do or put it inside something like a small shed or dog house that you've drill multiple 1/2" or 1" holes in the side of so it can breathe would be a fairly simple pre-made solution. Many people have built these types of external blower covers search the site and some should come up.

Flex pipe sucks. It breaks, forms holes and dents, and interferes with the flow of air. Avoid it until the last mile on your laser right before you connect the laser to your rigid pipe.

As far as the pipes that go outside. If it was me I'd go through the window, glass is cheap, wall is more expensive. Cut a hole in the window pane the size of your pipe, or break the glass and replace it with a plastic sheet that you have cut the hole out of. Use a thicker plastic sheet so it supports the weight of the pipe better. Seal with any weather resistant sealant. I think I used window pane chalking on one, silicone chalking on another. Much of it is silicone these days.

Does that all make sense and answer your question?

Would either of these be suitable Keith?
https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-control/dust-extractors/dust-extractor-1hp-1-c-30kg-67-42-45-cm
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W886

Also, is there simple solution/adapter for running ducting through a wall or window and leaving a weather tight hole around it? Like a short length of non flexible ducting with a mounting plate attached?

Andrew Holloway
10-10-2015, 5:31 PM
Thanks so much Keith, very helpful indeed. The doghouse idea sounds like a winner to me.
(Sorry Julian for hijacking your thread)

Keith Winter
10-10-2015, 6:58 PM
No problem Andrew! Cheers!