PDA

View Full Version : Need a drum sander, help appreciated

Scott Brandstetter
10-09-2015, 12:12 AM
I currently have a 16/32 performax and looking to upgrade to a 22-24 inch drum sander. Most of the work we do in our shop would fall within the 22-24 inch range....we specialize in bedroom furniture where the tops are 22 or less for dressers, chests, and nightstands.

I have done quite a bit of research and leaning toward a Jet 22/44 single drum sander....price is right and seems to fit our needs. Main use would be to give an almost final sand to our tops after joining. We plan to give the final 320 grit sand by hand.

Those that have this system, or something different, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-09-2015, 12:14 AM
I have a Woodmaster and its the best you can do without going to an industrial belt sander. The large drum, well constructed machine all work very well. Go gor it

Dave Cav
10-09-2015, 12:24 AM
I had a Woodmaster, and yes, as far as drum sanders go, they are probably as good as you can get. However, if you're doing this commercially I would just skip the drum sander step and go directly to a wide belt sander. Much faster, higher finish quality. A widebelt sanding finish with a 180 grit belt and a platen will beat the socks off of any drum sander.

glenn bradley
10-09-2015, 8:37 AM
I agree that for large output I would lean toward a belt for lower overall cost of ownership. If your output is small, I have a Supermax drum sander and it is built like a truck.

Charles Taylor
10-09-2015, 8:41 AM
I have done quite a bit of research and leaning toward a Jet 22/44 single drum sander....price is right and seems to fit our needs. Main use would be to give an almost final sand to our tops after joining. We plan to give the final 320 grit sand by hand.

Those that have this system, or something different, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

I have this machine from when it was branded Performax. I find the conveyor belt so fussy to keep tracking straight that I'd give a close look at all of the alternatives.

Jeff Duncan
10-09-2015, 9:19 AM
I bought a Powermatic dual drum some years back and found it was one of the best quality drum sanders out there at the time…..unfortunately it was still a drum sander. If your goal is to make money then I highly recommend skipping the drum and getting a small wide belt. It's not a small upgrade….it's like going from a bit brace to a corded drill. I know sometimes the entry fee seems steep….believe me I went through the same process starting out with the same crappy Performax sander. But if you get a chance to use a wide belt you'll see that even the best drum sanders are not even close. And that Performax your using….you'll laugh and scratch your head as to how you got by with it at all;)

If your stuck with the drum then go with a dual drum. Remember that whatever grit you stop at with the drum you have to start at with the ROS. In other words if your final grit on the drum is 150, you start the ROS at 150 to remove the drum scratches. If you planning on sanding to 320, (seems awfully high for wood?), you'll be doing a LOT of paper changes!

good luck,
JeffD

Jeff Monson
10-09-2015, 10:11 AM
I'll second Jeff's advice. I still have a 22-44 pro, but seldom use it. It has its uses but I would much rather have a widebelt.