PDA

View Full Version : Trotec and computer

Scott A Evans
10-08-2015, 9:58 PM
Hello Folks,

Been lurking for a bit and just joined thanks for the add!! We have just placed an order for our first machine a Trotec Speedy 300 80W and couldnt be more excited. We know we have much to learn and will probably ask many questions on here.

We plan on running 2 computers, 1 for design and 1 to run the Trotec Job Control. Will we need to also run CorelDraw on the computer at the machine, of course we will need it on our design computer and will transfer the files via network or flash drive.

Thanks for the help and all the threads that helped us in our decision!
Scott

Jack Clague
10-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi Scott,

I have am almost identical setup to you.

short answer is: NO you do not require coreldraw on the Job control computer as long as the computers are part of the same network you should be able to "print" the job to the Trotec Job Control Machine from the design computer

long answer is: "its easier if you do"

The reason is, if you print your design from coreldraw on your design computer to your Trotec's Job Control Computer (I assume its in a different room or area) and then when you move that Job from Job Control to the overview and realize you need to quickly change something, then you have to go back to your design computer and make the change, maybe even make measurements and go back and forth a bit, then re print that design to Job Control Computer, then replace on grid and make sure its all ok.

I have found as a new user I tend to go back into CorelDraw and adjust a few settings once, sometimes twice before i am satisfied and start to laser, so having Coreldraw on the same PC makes like that much easier

Is your Corel purchased or subscription? if its subscription no reason not to install it on the JC computer and load it up when and if you need it.

Scott A Evans
10-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks Jack. Its purchased, it appears that the user license allows for it to be installed on 3 machines for a single user but only using 1 machine at a time. I assume it is just a sign in/out but that defeats being able to design while machine is in production. Just trying to figure out what is best to purchase for desktop/ laptop and such. We are apple users and really arent looking forward to going back to windows.

Jack Clague
10-08-2015, 10:50 PM
I have a large desktop setup in my office (inside) and a laptop setup next to the machine, both running Corel but not at the same time as like you said its a sign in process, sometimes its nice to get out of the office and design or work on projects next to the machine (less distractions :) ) especially when it involves allot of measuring of the article to be engraved or cut.

I noticed you said "defeats being able to design while in production"

I would not be giving your design work 100% of your attention when you have a laser running, you need to keep one eye on your machine at all times when its running, a laser although safe when treated right is still a high energy burning source, keeping an eye on it when you are running the machine is recommended for safety

Dave Hutton
10-09-2015, 4:29 AM
We are apple users and really arent looking forward to going back to windows

I have a similar setup for my embroidery machines - I run Corel on a iMac under parallels with no problems. I create the artwork with the benefit of the bigger screen, export it to a memory stick and then plug that into a years old xp laptop which is running the embroidery machines, load up the file into the control program and get stitching. I can then go back to the next bit of setup work on the iMac if I need to .

The only downside is 'if' you need to make any changes to the embroidery artwork on Corel then you have to repeat the process, but its no big deal really (especially in my small workshop)

I plan to use a similar setup when I get a laser installed, although I might well try sending it across via the network - I didn't want the control machine connected to the network/internet so it stayed a clean install. My planned position for the laser would allow me to see it (through a glass screen) in the next door office, but I guess I'd be minding it, much as I do with the embroidery machine (if something bad is going to happen its always when I'm looking the other way!)

I am a one man band here but I guess if you have staff then you can have someone loading, watching and unloading the laser.

DJ

Scott A Evans
10-09-2015, 5:56 AM
Good to know it transfers ok DJ, Thanks.

Yes, I should have clarified that production would always be supervised....thats the "we" in the purchase!

Scott Shepherd
10-09-2015, 8:13 AM
Maybe I misunderstood, but you can certainly design on the computer that's running the laser if you want. It's not like it locks out the computer while Job Control is running. You can open Corel and design away. We are constantly prepping files while the machine is running. We also design most things in Illustrator on Mac's, save them as eps file and import them into Corel on the computer that's running the laser.

We save everything to a network drive, so all files are available at all times to any computer.

Mike Clarke
10-09-2015, 8:25 AM
I prefer to do all my layouts on one machine and run the output on a machine dedicated to each device. With multiple employees I think it is better. In our shop we had a dedicated art dept. for years so we had 3-4 design stations and a computer on each output device. One advantage is it does afford some redundancy for when a computer decides it wants to call in sick.

Scott A Evans
10-09-2015, 8:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys as it is certainly appreciated.

Mayo Pardo
10-10-2015, 4:45 PM
As Scott mentioned above, the Trotec JobControl allows you to have a laser job running at the same time you are creating or editing a new design in Corel or other design software. I find this feature to be VERY advantageous and time saving.

If your Jobcontrol software and design software are on the same computer and in the same room as the laser, (like mine is) it's easy to check the laser frequently to make sure there's no unexpected results.

Keith Winter
10-10-2015, 6:57 PM
Will throw in my input. This is how we currently do it, as Mayo and Scott described. Does slow down machines some as it is running, but it's still definitely workable and you can continue to edit. I am beginning to think this is not the best way though, multiple of computers taking up space on the walls next to the machines now.

Chris Edens
10-10-2015, 7:07 PM
Just use dropbox. We have 5 Trotec lasers and use this to send work to all of them instantly. You can design at home or anywhere else you want. You can also share folders so employees or other people can upload files there.

Hello Folks,

Been lurking for a bit and just joined thanks for the add!! We have just placed an order for our first machine a Trotec Speedy 300 80W and couldnt be more excited. We know we have much to learn and will probably ask many questions on here.

We plan on running 2 computers, 1 for design and 1 to run the Trotec Job Control. Will we need to also run CorelDraw on the computer at the machine, of course we will need it on our design computer and will transfer the files via network or flash drive.

Thanks for the help and all the threads that helped us in our decision!
Scott