PDA

View Full Version : Larger Jaws for Talon vs Larger Chuck

Edward Weingarden
10-08-2015, 9:27 AM
I have a Talon chuck (standard jaws that came with chuck) which I use on my Jet 1642. I recently started to do hollow forms to 6" depth. Eventually I'll want to do HFs with a 12" - 14" depth. I need to know if my Talon with standard jaws will provide enough holding strength, or, should I get larger and/or deeper jaws for the Talon, or a larger chuck (Stronghold). Thanks.

Alan Trout
10-08-2015, 9:45 AM
If the hollow form is supported with a steady rest it will work just fine. I use some pretty small tenons with a hollow form steady rest. At that point the tenon is just something to drive the piece. I just prepped a 6" piece with the standard Talon Jaws. It is a very good little chuck.

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2015, 10:15 AM
I agree with Alan - the Talon will work just fine! I used it for years on my Jet 1642 and now use it on my Robust AB - great chuck - just be sure to use a steady.

Dennis Ford
10-08-2015, 10:20 AM
For 12 inch (or more) deep hollow forms, I am a firm believer in face-plates. For really deep hollow forms, a face-plate and a steady rest. I know that other ways can work but this works for me.

Edward Weingarden
10-08-2015, 11:56 AM
All sounds good. No need to spend $ on another chuck. Thanks.

Thom Sturgill
10-08-2015, 1:51 PM
Just be sure to keep tail-stock pressure when shaping the outside until the steady rest is set up.

Edward Weingarden
10-08-2015, 9:34 PM
Thanks Thom.

Reed Gray
10-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Well, I don't do many hollow forms, but have found with my bowls, larger jaws on a small chuck work, but the same size jaws on a bigger chuck are a lot more stable, and there is less vibration. Of course, much of this depends on the mass of what ever it is that you are turning.

robo hippy

Jeffrey J Smith
10-09-2015, 7:02 PM
I use talon chucks for fairly large work at times - got a few strongholds, too, so not that often. I use the #3 jaws for larger work. The smooth dovetail version has worked fine for me. I actually prefer the smaller chuck body when working at the headstock side of some pieces, but I agree with Reed that the added mass of the larger chucks seem to damp vibration better.