PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project, 1 of 2

Kevin Gerstenecker
06-08-2003, 8:31 PM
I thought I would share a couple of pictures of my latest endeavors in the Wood Shop. After seeing a picture of this box posted here, I just had to make one! I made mine from Cherry and Walnut, and I really like the design. It is finished with 3 coats of Oil, and topped off with paste wax. Kind of an oriental look, and fairly easy to build. Thanks for taking a look! ;)

Mike Evertsen
06-08-2003, 8:41 PM
great looking box,,,,,,,gives me an idea for the doors and trim for my wall unit I'm building,,,,,,

Jim Becker
06-08-2003, 9:22 PM
Now, that's nice, Kevin. The contrast is wonderful and the design graceful. You'll want to make more of this one, for sure!

Kevin Gerstenecker
06-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, it is really appreciated. I do have more boxes of this design up my sleeve. I think some of them will do nicely as Christmas Gifts. I have just received some Leopard Wood, Yellow Heart, and Honduras Rosewood and I look forward to working with these exotics, and this box design is just the ticket. I think I may modify the design to incorporate box joinery...........what does everyone think of this idea, do you think it will add to or take away from the design? I am up in the air over the idea, I am not sure how it will look. Any and all comments and opinions are welcome. :)

Jim Becker
06-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Kevin, I think that box-joints will take away from this particular design. The clean mitered corners allow the contrasting trim highlights to stand out. What you might try is some dovetailed splines...one or two per corner between the foot and the top to provide some interest there without getting "too busy". Obviously, they should be made with the same contrasting wood that the other trim is made from.

BTW, be sure and wear a good dust mask when working with the exotics, especially anything in the rosewood familiy. (rosewood, cocobolo, etc.)

Lee Patz
06-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Nice Job Kevin!

I really like the design and the wood selection is great.

Like someone else said, I think the box joints would just add clutter to the clean lines. If the box didn't have the corner legs, then I think box joints or small dovetails would work. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing - It looks great!

Lee

Ed Falis
06-09-2003, 6:49 AM
Kevin,

Much as I like exposed joinery, I'm with Jim and Lee on this one - it would detract from the "elegance" of the design unless it was very sparing.

- Ed

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-09-2003, 7:51 AM
I think box joints would be fine...but only if the feet were gone.

Nice box...

KC

Mike Schwing
06-09-2003, 9:16 AM
Hey that looks great! I love the cherry and walnut combo.

I've made a couple of those boxes - here's one I have pics of. I believe its made of birds eye and rocky balboa, (I can't remember the name of that damned wood at the moment...) Mde one of bloodwood and curly maple before.

They make superb gifts.

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/boxuse1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/boxusewows.jpg

Jim Becker
06-09-2003, 9:18 AM
Originally posted by Mike Schwing
I've made a couple of those boxes - here's one I have pics of. I believe its made of birds eye and rocky balboa, (I can't remember the name of that damned wood at the moment...)

Would that be...cocobola?? :D

Outstanding Box, Mike!

Mike Schwing
06-09-2003, 9:26 AM
Thanks, close, I think it was ginko biloba! No, thats not quite it either......wait a sec...aaaaiieeee! I cannot come up with the name for the life of me, and I just used a stick of it this weekend for a bullnose strip on the entry to the house - it looks gorgeous against the maple flooring....

Dang it!

Glenn Clabo
06-09-2003, 9:32 AM
Way cool Kevin...and I agree there is no need for visible box joinery. It may become too busy when you use two extreme woods.

Mike...very pretty combo of woods. Nice job.

Pete Lamberty
06-09-2003, 9:44 AM
Hi Kevin, I think the box looks geat. Because of the style of the box, I think box joints would take away from the overall design. Also as far as the parts of the box are concerned, the box itself should be the most prominent piece. I think the handle is much to large. It definitely fights for attention with the box itself. I think you should try to make up a few different sizes and place them on top of the box until you find the one that looks best. Hope this helps. Pete

Don Farr
06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Very nice work Kevin. Just another " I wanta" when I have the time.

Tom Sweeney
06-09-2003, 1:03 PM
Kevin - you've shown about 50 beautiful boxes (slight exageration ;) & every time I say WOW = I'm going to go make me one of those. In all this time I have not been able to make one - so how about if you just ship that lovely box to me & I'll just tell LOML that I made it for her - then I'd feel much better :D

Mike your's is also spectacular.

Great work both of you :cool:

Chris DiCiaccio
06-12-2003, 5:48 PM
WOW! Wonderful looking box! I like how you did that. Very eye-appealing. Keep up the great work.

Ken Wright
06-12-2003, 8:54 PM
Walnut and cherry are always a good choice for my money...

Joe Tonich
06-13-2003, 7:37 AM
You used BOTH of my favorite woods! Nice box! Now there's another addition to my "to do" list. So many nice projects, too little time! :(

Joe