PDA

View Full Version : Quilted Maple Bowl

Greg Just
10-07-2015, 10:52 PM
This is my latest segmented bowl made from quilted maple. It measures 13 inches in diameter and is 7 inches tall. Comments are welcome.

Len Mullin
10-08-2015, 1:50 AM
Greg, I don't quite know how to reply to this without making hard feelings. I like the shape and finish of the bowl, but, to me it looks to busy with all of the quilting going in all directions.
Len

Ken Glass
10-08-2015, 7:28 AM
Greg,
I love quilted Maple. This seg turning really brings out the quilted effect and I am sure as you turn it in your hand it looks almost iridescent. I did one some years back and it got lots of oh's and aw's and sold very quickly. Beautiful turning, well done.

Brian Myers
10-08-2015, 10:24 AM
I like it but think there should be a darker colored wood at the rim. This is definitely a piece you need to see in person and be able to handle so you can view it at angles to see the quilting at it's best.

Montgomery Scott
10-08-2015, 10:29 AM
That's not quilted maple, it's curly maple.

John Keeton
10-08-2015, 1:42 PM
That's not quilted maple, it's curly maple.Agreed, but it is a common misidentification. They have entirely different appearances.

Greg Just
10-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the complements. Not wanting to get into a debate on the wood type, but I have a wood id book and they show a picture just like the wood I used under quilted maple. No matter what type of wood it is, it was a fun project for a friend who is giving it to his daughter as a gift.

Dave Fritz
10-09-2015, 9:46 AM
Interesting information and pretty clear: http://www.gobywalnut.com/figured-maple.htm

Greg, I'll bet your friends daughter will be thrilled. Nice piece. (http://www.gobywalnut.com/figured-maple.htm)

Dave Fritz

Dale Barger
10-09-2015, 10:27 AM
That's a nice looking bowl. Good work!

Greg Just
10-09-2015, 10:00 PM
I was in Woodcraft today and they were selling curly maple which looked like what I used. Go figure - at least we know it's maple :D

Roger Tulk
10-10-2015, 7:48 PM
It's a very nice piece, Greg, and you're right, I used curly maple to make a cheese board for my daughter, and it looked a lot like this. I think I may have a curly maple bowl blank. If not, it would be easy for me to get.