PDA

View Full Version : Lucky winner?

william watts
10-07-2015, 10:39 PM
My wife won a iPhone6 and a iwatch in her church raffle!:) This is a ligit raffle. She is excited to step into the 21st. century with the new phone. We both use basic flip phones with a tracphone prepaid account, it's cheap about $10.00/month, but I contacted tracphone and discovered the apple phone is not compatible with their system. What company has compatibly, does anybody here use an iPhone on a prepaid account? Any recommendations?

Bill

John A langley
10-07-2015, 10:56 PM
I use AT&T ,it's not prepay

David Masters
10-07-2015, 11:11 PM
It appears there are several companies that offer pre-paid plans for an iPhone. You should talk to T-Mobile, VirginUSA, StraightTalk, PagePlus, and Cricket (owned by AT&T). Now the bad news, depending on how the iPhone was purchased, it could be locked to a particular carrier. If so, your options are limited. Apple does offer an unlocked iPhone (which is what I purchased), but it is considerably more expensive than the ones they offer for $299. Good luck.

Dave

John Sidwell
10-08-2015, 10:13 AM
At work, my coworkers and I use the pre-paid T-Mobile plan where you buy a starter kit all Walmart. It's $30/month, gives 100 minutes, unlimited text, "unlimited" data [throttled to slow speeds after a couple of gigabytes]. One guy uses the plan with an iPhone, and I use it with a Android Nexus 5. My brother uses Cricket Wireless for a pre-paid plan (unlimited talk/text), starting around $35/month, I think. I'd have to ask him about it again.

I'm guessing if the phone is new, it's probably not carrier locked, so you should be able to buy a "SIM only" starter kit from a prepaid carrier to activate it. What I'd do is sit down and figure out how much talking vs texting I plan to do on the phone to decide on which carrier to go with. (I don't talk that much, so 100 minutes is fine for me, but not for my brother.)

Don't forget to check which carriers cover your specific location. A cheap plan doesn't do you much good when you have to drive 2 blocks from your house to get a signal. (That happened to me once when I bought a phone plan before moving for college.)

Raymond Fries
10-08-2015, 10:15 AM
My daughter uses prepaid phone cards with hers. I cannot remember the name but they have a green logo and are sold at Walmart.

william watts
10-10-2015, 1:11 PM
Update. I talked with Apple support and learned that the iPhone 6 is locked to ATT. They gave me a support number for ATT and I learned that the phone can be unlocked thru the ATT web site. There is no charge for this as long as there is no contract on the phone. The phone is compatible with some pre-paid services, but not all.

I made these inquires, and ask here, then my wife talked with her daughter who convinced her to exchange the phone and Iwatch for an I pad. Wife made the exchange for an iPad, wireless earbuds, and extended warranty. She is now the coolest Nana in neighborhood, listening with wireless earphones to her tunes. Thanks to all for the help.

bill