PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Back Saw Question

Stew Denton
10-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Hi All,

The decent back saws that I have seen have been pretty pricy, the Disstons tend to bring pretty good money.

On the other hand, I have seen Jackson back saws for a lot less than the Disstons. Are the Jackson back saws pretty good saws?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Ron Bontz
10-07-2015, 11:39 PM
In a word. Yes.

lowell holmes
10-08-2015, 8:31 AM
Stew,

They don't compare with Ron's saws though.

OBTW, there's a reason the good saws are pricey. However, once purchased, you will have them for a long time. My experience is I don't remember the cost of the three Lie Nielsen saws I own.

I didn't know about Ron when I bought mine. My choice was Lie Nielsen or Adria.

If you purchase a good saw, you will have a data base to work from.

I have two Disston saws and they are good saws, but in my opinion they don't compare with more modern saws.

Nick Stokes
10-08-2015, 10:05 AM
If you are concerned about the cost, I have seen the veritas saws get rated very highly in all of the reviews. And they are cheap... almost as cheap as some of those backsaws on ebay that you will have to spend a few hours working on.

steven c newman
10-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Currently have two very good Disstons, a No.5 crosscut (traded a Great Neck #4 plane for it) and a later model No.4 that is a rip model. The rip model No.4 cost me a whopping $1. Saws very fast, very straight.

Somehow acquired a Penn Corp. 20" x4" backsaw....one of Henry disstons "off brands" for a $1......around here, yard sales can even turn up 6ppi D-23 rip saws for.....$0.00. Just need to get out and about.

That is...if you are concerned about price.

Jim Koepke
10-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Maybe the third question should be, have you had success sharpening saws?

I have a Jackson dovetail saw that had a badly pitted plate. It worked adequately. Then came a saw kit and plate from Ron Bontz. The Jackson saw now has a new plate and is an exceptional saw. It works so well, I haven't gotten a round tuit to make a handle for the saw kit.

Now that the farmers market season and growing season are coming to a close my winter to do list has grown pretty long.

jtk