PDA

View Full Version : Building Double Drawer Stack Cabinet

George Bokros
10-07-2015, 3:55 PM
I am building a double drawer stack cabinet as part of a closet organizer project, thank god this is the last closet organizer the house can hold.; The cabinet will consist of two outside stiles and one center stile with three intermediate rails between the four drawers. I know you end the center stile at the top and bottom rail. My questions is...

Do you break the center stile at each intermediate rail or break each intermediate rail at the center stile? Does it make any difference, is it builder preference? I hope my question is clear.

Thanks.

Jim Dwight
10-07-2015, 5:06 PM
Break the rails at the center stile. I guess you could do it the other way but I wouldn't.

Mike Schuch
10-07-2015, 5:27 PM
I think it comes down to which would be easiest to glue up? I remember doing a face frame way back when that was a real bugger to glue up because I didn't think about assembly when I was cutting the rails and styles. If you are using pocket holes instead of dowels I don't think it matters.

Martin Wasner
10-07-2015, 8:09 PM
My rails are always continuous, I do that because the top and bottom rails are continuous usually. Purely preference though.

Jeff Duncan
10-07-2015, 8:41 PM
I make the outside verticals go top to bottom, then the inside verticals if any go from bottom to top rail. Mid rails run horizontally between verticals. Now the exception is a wider opening over a split opening, i.e. a wide drawer over two doors. In this case the horizontal runs across and the vertical runs from it down.

good luck,
JeffD

John TenEyck
10-07-2015, 8:41 PM
You can do it either way but normally the top and bottom rails run full length between the outer stiles, and the center mullion (stile) runs full height between the top and bottom rails.

John

Bill Orbine
10-07-2015, 9:49 PM
Ever look at a 4 panel entry door??? Does that help? But have it your way!