PDA

View Full Version : Bevel angles for Craftsman jointer knives? 45 degrees? 38 degrees?

Fitzhugh Freeman
10-07-2015, 3:40 PM
I have some 6 1/8" jointer knives from a craftsman 113 that need grinding. Whoever ground them last did a bad enough job - edges not straight - that I also can't trust the existing angle (somewhere significantly sharper than 45). The copies of the manual I found online just say to retain the stock angle. I brought the knives home but the jointer itself is at the local makerspace. I can't check to see if the knives mount in the same angle as on my shopsmith jointer and planer, which use 45 degrees as a starting point.

Any suggestions? I can't say what types of wood will be jointed so I'm looking for a middle ground.

Background: I was there to work on adding dust collection and noticed a row of cut off nails flush with the surface of a nice smooth piece of crappy dumpster quality framing lumber sitting on the project storage shelf. I looked closer and saw the telltale little lines on the metal, checked the jointer, and sure enough there were nicks in just the right spot. argh.