PDA

View Full Version : Tuning antique wooden plow plane?

lowell holmes
10-07-2015, 3:11 PM
Does any one out there have a link for such a thing.

I have one with irons bought separately. I've had moderate success with it, a video or website addressing the issues would sure be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Koepke
10-07-2015, 3:21 PM
Googling > tuning wooden plow plane < turned up a few including this:

http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-care-and-feeding-of-wooden-plow.html

From my own experience with more wooden planes lately it is important to have a wedge that works properly with the blade(s). If you have an assortment of blades that are different from the original there can be clogging, chattering and some other problems caused by the ill fitting match up. It might be necessary to make different wedges for different blades.

Another problem with my wooden plow was the front and rear skate not being in the same plane.

Perhaps some pictures with the problems encountered would help if the information on the web doesn't bring satisfaction.

Either way, let us know how it turns out.

jtk

lowell holmes
10-07-2015, 5:22 PM
That's what I was looking for. I suspect I will need a new wedge. Some of my irons are too wide for the plane. They are from a set I bought on Ebay. I'm not at all sure they are all from the same set originally, they do appear to be so. I'm not sure if the taper on the irons match the skate and wedge. I suspect I will have to measure the taper of the plane and the irons.

Thanks Jim.

Mike Siemsen
10-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Lowell,
You may need to file the irons to get the tapers to match. Luckily they are laminated irons so the back is mild steel and can be filed. The next thing you need to do is take a saw file and make sure the grooves in the back of the irons mate properly with the rear skate. Usually the rear skate is pushed down out of alignment with the front skate because the grove in the iron is not deep enough in the replacement iron so when you set the wedge it pushes the rear skate down.

lowell holmes
10-12-2015, 7:03 PM
Thanks Mike,

I had considered filing the grooves on the irons. I just haven't taken the time to do it yet.

Hey guys, I appreciate the tips.