PDA

View Full Version : Weird

Byron Trantham
08-27-2005, 4:01 PM
My wife wants to upholster a couple chairs and we needed an upholstery stapler. I posted a question (where to get one) here and Jim Becker directed me to PC. Sure enough, they make one. Not too expensive either. Well, I got it the other day was reading :confused: through the owners manual (no choice, I'm sicker than a dog). First of all there are NO safety features what so ever. Pull the trigger and off goes a staple. Another interesting comment was a reference to my employer! :eek: Yup, my employer. If am having problems he can help! Never read anything like it. I am also less than thrilled with handing the thing over to LOML. It's going to take very concerted effort to keep our fingers off the trigger. Just thought this was interesting.

Ken Garlock
08-27-2005, 4:23 PM
First off, I hope you get well soon :)

I am supprised that PC can market a tool like that without at least the same trigger interlock as on a pneumatic nail gun. I bought an "el cheapo" stapler a couple years ago that had no safety, but it took a pretty good pull on the tigger to fire it. Even though it was cheap, I still paid too much for it. :rolleyes: ( I didn't know you read Spanish :eek: )

Ken Fitzgerald
08-27-2005, 5:06 PM
Bryan....I, too, am surprised PC can market a tool like that. 37 years ago I worked in an upholstered chair factory in Pontiac Illinois. Working in the framing dept. even our staple guns that shot 2 1/4" staples had a "nose" safety on them. That didn't prevent them from misfiring however. My gun misfired at least twice. Once I stapled the index and middle finger on my right hand together and attached them to the frame I was assembling. The second time it did the same thing to the same fingers on my left hand. In production work, we didn't take time to wipe off the excess glue dripping from parts as we attached them. Eventually the excess glue built up inhibiting the safety from working. Work careful with that thing!

Jim Becker
08-27-2005, 6:31 PM
I suspect this "feature" is because uphosters like to "move along" when they are working and the safety would get in the way of that. Interestingly enough, my Accuset (by Senco) 23 guage pinner also doesn't have the safety and will fire quite nicely across the room, although the little wires would need feathers to be able to aim accurately... ;)

Byron, just make sure the operator understand how it works and also make sure she uses safety glasses all the time when doing this work.

Michael McDuffie
08-28-2005, 1:33 AM
Might not want to point out that the top is intended to be used as a hammer to drive staples home. Wouldn't want it going off when upside down.:eek:

I have the PC upholstery stapler and have let my wife use it many times. I just tell her keep your finger off the trigger until you want a staple and have shown her how far it shoots in open air. It only shoots very short staples but they can still do some damage.

Michael

Steve Clardy
08-28-2005, 12:33 PM
I have the PC too. Nice stapler. Use it for insulation on walls, and also to staple card board to cabinets to keep the drawers in when transporting cabinets.
I don't remember having any accidental firings with it, but am sure as time goes along I probably will.
It's strange that they don't put a safety on this one, but they put an akward safety trigger on their 23 gauge pin nailer. I've threatened to remove that one.

Phil Phelps
08-28-2005, 1:46 PM
and I need that stapler to shoot myself. As I recall, your Bride has a sewing machine. Well, yesterday mine had to upgrade her software, don't 'ya know? $1700. Oh, what a deal. And, you know that old, worthless computer? Yeah, it's history. So we, er, she, got one and customized it on line. Yesterday's dammage was a mere $2800. Moral. Fill it in yourself :D