PDA

View Full Version : E-mails disappearing

Bruce Volden
10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
My wife uses webmail.......for her email account, no outlook or other service.
Twice in the last week she has opened her email account only to find it bare bones empty.
This includes the trash folder. She has to call tech support to have them reinstated.
I'm at a loss as to how something like this happens. I too use the same way of accessing
my email account and have never had a problem---ever.
She has a laptop which stays at home with WIN 8.1 (wi-fi)
I use a a clunker desk top running XP (hard wired):confused:
Thanks for any and all explanations as tech support won't/don't provide any answers.

Bruce

Anthony Whitesell
10-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Who is the email provider?

Fairpoint Communications had a problem like that a few years back. When I logged into, someone else's account came up. The other option is the account has been hacked.

Bruce Page
10-07-2015, 12:51 PM
My secondary email is Google's Gmail, it's free, easy to use, and easily accessible.

Pat Barry
10-07-2015, 1:40 PM
Either she is unknowingly erasing everything or the email service provider has some issues they need to fix. Its surprising they haven't said anything to her about what they are doing to fix the problem

Bradley Gray
10-07-2015, 2:44 PM
I would look in preferences. Some email clients have a setting to delete messages after x days.

Jim Koepke
10-07-2015, 3:37 PM
I would look in preferences. Some email clients have a setting to delete messages after x days.

+1 on this. My email server has a maximum size. To avoid that from happening, once the mail is on my computer the server mail is deleted, or archived if they do that.

With all the key combination commands every once in a while something on my computer changes. It can usually be traced to an accidental keystroke.

jtk

Brian Tymchak
10-08-2015, 8:15 AM
My wife uses webmail.......for her email account, no outlook or other service.
Twice in the last week she has opened her email account only to find it bare bones empty.
This includes the trash folder.

Maybe a backend connection to the email server is failing silently on occasion? The web pages that show up on your screen are (likely) provided from a web server while the email content is provided from a separate email server.