PDA

View Full Version : Need help explaining PLUMBING to A SENIOR CITIZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarence Martin
10-07-2015, 10:08 AM
OK, got a little problem when it comes to explaining PLUMBING TO A SENIOR CITIZEN!!!:eek:

The old Lady wants to know WHY the Hot water faucet in the Bathroom Sink runs hot water right away , when it never did that before. I checked for leaks and running water. Nothing. So, I checked out what hot water lines are near the sink. Tub is right across from the Bathroom sink and the washing machine is in the hallway in a cubby hole section right on the other side of the Tub Faucet. Now, she ran a warm water rinse on the clothes in the washing machine and washed the Tub out , but did not use the Bathroom sink.

I tried to explain that the hot water in the lines probably heated up the water in the line to the Bathroom sink. Thing is , she doesn't believe me.

Am I right or wrong ? She says this has never happened before.

Mike Ontko
10-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I can think of three possible explanations (warning - I'm not a plumber)

1. As you'd suggested, there could be a small leak somewhere between the water heater and the bathroom faucet that's creating a small but constant flow in that hot water line.
2. Also as you've suggested, using the washing machine on a warm or hot setting drew hot water from the heater tank into the same line that supplies the bathroom hot water faucet.
3. 1 or 2 above AND the water heater thermostat could have shifted somehow and now the hot water supply temperature is higher than it was in the past, making it seem like the hot water is getting to the faucet faster than it did in the past.

Is your water heater gas or electric?

Clarence Martin
10-07-2015, 11:09 AM
It's Natural Gas.

Clarence Martin
10-07-2015, 11:11 AM
I did crank the theromstat up on the hot water tank. went from 1 to 2 or 3 on the dial

Pat Barry
10-07-2015, 1:37 PM
She's right of course. Quit denying the obvious

Charles Wiggins
10-07-2015, 2:44 PM
OK, got a little problem when it comes to explaining PLUMBING TO A SENIOR CITIZEN!!!:eek:

The old Lady wants to know WHY the Hot water faucet in the Bathroom Sink runs hot water right away , when it never did that before. I checked for leaks and running water. Nothing. So, I checked out what hot water lines are near the sink. Tub is right across from the Bathroom sink and the washing machine is in the hallway in a cubby hole section right on the other side of the Tub Faucet. Now, she ran a warm water rinse on the clothes in the washing machine and washed the Tub out , but did not use the Bathroom sink.

I tried to explain that the hot water in the lines probably heated up the water in the line to the Bathroom sink. Thing is , she doesn't believe me.

Am I right or wrong ? She says this has never happened before.

I cannot think of any other explanation other than you're guesses.

When I've had to explain such things I often find that "a picture IS worth 1000 words." Draw an illustration showing the HWH and the main line and how the other lines branch off so that if she's been using water elsewhere there is very little cold water left in the line to the sink. If the lines are copper or even galvanized steel, I can fully believe that hot water running through the other lines would have warmed the "old" cold water in the sink line so she would not be starting with cold water. You could always have her hold a section of pipe and you could warm the other end with a torch.

Wade Lippman
10-07-2015, 3:54 PM
Good luck. I once tried to explain to my father that turning the temperature really low on the thermostat didn't make the AC cool faster. Let him do what he wanted after that.

George Bokros
10-07-2015, 3:58 PM
Good luck. I once tried to explain to my father that turning the temperature really low on the thermostat didn't make the AC cool faster. Let him do what he wanted after that.

I had the opposite with my aunt trying to tell her that turning the thermostat higher did not make the house warm up faster.

Mel Fulks
10-07-2015, 4:49 PM
Never heard anyone say the tank water heater thermometers are accurate. Most don't even have temp numbers ,just letters . I do not change setting without checking temp first and again after adjustment.

Kent Adams
10-07-2015, 4:58 PM
Did you check for leaks on the hot water line down to the source? I believe the old lady when she says its not happened like that before, unless of course she has early dementia.

Clarence Martin
10-07-2015, 5:47 PM
Did you check for leaks on the hot water line down to the source? I believe the old lady when she says its not happened like that before, unless of course she has early dementia.

I proved it to her! I turned the tub on AND turned the washing machine on. Ran hot water through both . Waited about a minute and a half. Then, I turned the hot water on at the bathroom sink.. INSTANT HOT WATER !

Her response???

" I didn't know it would do that ! "

Bill Orbine
10-07-2015, 6:45 PM
I proved it to her! I turned the tub on AND turned the washing machine on. Ran hot water through both . Waited about a minute and a half. Then, I turned the hot water on at the bathroom sink.. INSTANT HOT WATER !

Her response???

" I didn't know it would do that ! "

I need more proof!!!:D How long does it take the sink to get hot water to heat up WITHOUT running the hot water on the tub and/or washer just prior?:D

Moses Yoder
10-07-2015, 7:01 PM
I argued with my dad for a year about which lane ended on the US 20 bypass at the east end of Elkhart. He insisted that the left lane ended, when the posted signs indicated the right lane ended. He died before this argument was reconciled. Now they are turning that whole section into 4 lanes, making an argument born only from the wish to argue, a moot point.

Keith Westfall
10-08-2015, 1:19 AM
trying to tell her that turning the thermostat higher did not make the house warm up faster

I gave up arguing with my wife over this, because she is convinced that if you turn it way up, it heats faster!

I'm slow learning some things, but I have learned to pick the important battles at home... :cool:

Dan Hunkele
10-08-2015, 8:30 AM
Tell her to turn the hot water on first thing when she gets up in the morning. If it is instant hot water, there is a problem.

Pat Barry
10-08-2015, 10:50 AM
I gave up arguing with my wife over this, because she is convinced that if you turn it way up, it heats faster!

I'm slow learning some things, but I have learned to pick the important battles at home... :cool:
In fact, many heating control systems operate in a manner that makes the heating up process go faster the farther they are from the setpoint - this is called proportional control - it is commonly used on higher end heating sytems. The 'old fashioned way' uses a thermostat which is either on or off and therefore it makes no difference to heating rate as to whether you set it hotter or not

Yonak Hawkins
10-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Keith, you may be slow. I don't know. ..But in the end you are a very wise man.

julian abram
10-08-2015, 4:54 PM

I tried to explain this to my 14 year old daughter also. Does not compute.

Lee Schierer
10-08-2015, 5:09 PM
In fact, many heating control systems operate in a manner that makes the heating up process go faster the farther they are from the setpoint - this is called proportional control - it is commonly used on higher end heating systems. The 'old fashioned way' uses a thermostat which is either on or off and therefore it makes no difference to heating rate as to whether you set it hotter or not

The heat pump in our travel trailer will do this as will our home A/c system. But the commercial system we have at our church does not. Yet, if the ladies in the kitchen got too warm when they are cooking, they go to the thermostat and turn it down to a cooler temp even though it isn't keeping up with the heat output from the commercial stove and ovens. I guess it makes them feel better.:rolleyes: