PDA

View Full Version : pre-filter life span when engraving wood

Raphael Weil
10-07-2015, 8:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of costing out something like a BOFA for a 2 year period vs making my own pre-filter/filter/carbon filter stack. I do like the idea of being able to choose my own blower strength on the diy version and soundproofing the living heck out of it. I also like the cheaper filter prices and bulk carbon. I'm just also curious about the all-in-one side of things in case my creation isn't airtight enough.

If I'm rastering wood 7-8 hours a day, how long could I expect the pre-filter on something like a BOFA to last? I did bookmark the after-market filters to get the price down a bit, I'm just not sure of what a reliable life expectancy might be. In some threads I read about people clogging up a pre-filter in a weekend of engraving wood. Surely it can't be that bad?

Mike Null
10-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Do a search for filters and Dan Hintz. He has a DYI design that has received some good reviews and appears to be economical.

Dan Hintz
10-07-2015, 4:10 PM
Just check my one blog post, Raphael...

The people who are clogging their filters in a week are typically cutting stuff with glue, like plywood or <shudder> particle board. Standard wood, by itself, doesn't really foul a filter as quickly as most think.

Raphael Weil
10-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Just check my one blog post, Raphael...

The people who are clogging their filters in a week are typically cutting stuff with glue, like plywood or <shudder> particle board. Standard wood, by itself, doesn't really foul a filter as quickly as most think.

Hi Dan,

Your model (and one other I saw that's more of a wooden stack) is exactly what I had in mind for my diy version. My plan was to start with your model, and if it didn't work I'd go the BOFA route. That's why I was a bit curious about what sort of filter life I'd expect.

I'd never dream of engraving glued wood, so I'm all good there. Do you still use your DIY filter today Dan? Brilliant design btw!

Dan Hintz
10-08-2015, 8:37 AM
I'd never dream of engraving glued wood, so I'm all good there. Do you still use your DIY filter today Dan? Brilliant design btw!

It hasn't been used in the last year as my new shop is still being built, but the design itself is still working. When time permits, I intend to revamp the design to more of a drawer-based system... cost will go up, as well as build time, but it will be more usable in a production environment.