PDA

View Full Version : 80/20 compatibility with t-track

Robert J Thomas
10-06-2015, 9:43 PM
I have a surplus of 80/20 aluminum t-slotted extrusions (http://www.mcmaster.com/#t-slotted-framing/=z9895i) from various projects at work. I'm wondering if these are compatible with the kreg/incra/rockler t-slot channels and the flip stops and other accessories that are available for them. I'm thinking a double 80/20 extrusion would make a great miter gauge fence, but I'd like to be able to put a couple flip stops on it. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Bruette
10-10-2015, 4:34 PM
I haven't tried it, but I'd question if the flip stop would hang close enough to the saw table to be useful. Or stated another way, would the double 80/20 be too high? Also it might depend if you have standard or metric 80/20.

I've looked at standard double 80/20 at work and it looks like it would bolt up to my Incra miter gauge.

Kevin Nathanson
10-11-2015, 4:31 AM
Non-metric 80/20 10-series extrusions work very well with 1/4" hardware; the 15 series are happier with 5/16" fasteners. Most of the systems you mention use 1/4" hardware, so 10 series extrusions are what you want.

K

james mc guire
11-13-2015, 2:37 AM
the "tabs or inserts"that go in the 80/20 slots would connect to the track with bolts, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Doug Hobkirk
11-17-2015, 9:53 AM
The T-track I use (from Eureka Zone, Rockler, Incra) has rectangular channels that accept 1/4 or 5/16 standard bolt heads.

My 80/20 tracks are "dished" from the bottom surface of the track (i.e., the bottom is not flat, not full-width). So the only way I found to use this is using the oval "nuts" they sell for that size track slot. That's more limiting:

The bolt must come in from the top, so the length is critical so it does not bottom out
This is probably OK for a flip stop, but it would not be for something like a clamp that needs to adapt to different thicknesses

Hope this helps