PDA

View Full Version : 6" vs 8" jointer

Jeff Horton
08-27-2005, 2:57 PM
I am looking at older used jointer's. Not new ones. I find lots of the 6" and very few 8" or larger jointer's. I am in no hurry to buy so I am can wait on the right one. My question is how much more useful is the 8"? Am I going to regret it if I buy a 6"? Space is not a problem. I am lucky to have a very large shop.

I am still getting my shop set up and I will be building furniture primarily. I plan on doing some boat building and repairs. And of course lots of around the house items. Benches, cabinets, storage box/bench combinations for the around the pool.

Jim Dunn
08-27-2005, 3:08 PM
8":):):):):):):):):)

Sparky Paessler
08-27-2005, 3:16 PM
Jeff

I had a 6" and have finally replaced it with an old 12" that I found locally. The 6" is great for edge jointing boards but is very small when face jointing. (to get a flat surface before planning). I feel the larger the better when it comes to jointers even with my limited shop space.

SP

scott spencer
08-27-2005, 3:28 PM
Seems like most of my boards are between 6" & 8"! In addition to extra capacity on an 8" machine, you'll find added stability from the extra weight and more power in most cases.

Richard Wolf
08-27-2005, 3:34 PM
There are four reasons I can think of for having a 6" jointer.
1) Lack of money.
2) Lack of space.
3) Your only interest is in building small items.
4) You didn't know any better at the time.

Richard

Charles Bruno
08-27-2005, 3:49 PM
I am looking at older used jointer's. Not new ones. I find lots of the 6" and very few 8" or larger jointer's. I am in no hurry to buy so I am can wait on the right one. My question is how much more useful is the 8"? Am I going to regret it if I buy a 6"? Space is not a problem. I am lucky to have a very large shop.

I am still getting my shop set up and I will be building furniture primarily. I plan on doing some boat building and repairs. And of course lots of around the house items. Benches, cabinets, storage box/bench combinations for the around the pool.
Jeff
I have a 6" jointer mainly because my shop's full time job is a garage with a car and two motorcycles. It works just fine but very limited. I would rather have a 8" jointer, I'd love to find a good used one if I had the space. If space or money is not the issue go for the 8".

Dennis McDonaugh
08-27-2005, 3:51 PM
Jeff, why do you suppose you find lots of used 6" jointers and very few 8" ones? It's because most people end up moving up to an 8" or larger jointer after a few years with a 6" and realize its limitations. Go with the 8" if you have the cash and room and you'll be happy until you move up to a 12-16" one. :)

Byron Trantham
08-27-2005, 4:06 PM
Jeff, everyone is right. I have a Jet 6" and works great BUT I wish I knew then what I know now. BTW Grizzly has come out with a new 8" jointer for about $675. One of the recent reviews of 6 and 8" jointer's found the Grizzly an outstanding value. I keep futzing about buying one but I know I'm going pull the trigger. :D Good luck

Mike Cutler
08-27-2005, 7:08 PM
Jeff. Go with the largest jointer that you can afford. The only reason for size to be an issue, is storage of the machine when not in use. To joint an 8' board takes at least 16' of room minimum, it doesn't matter what size the jointer is underneath the material.
I have a Jet 6", and the next stop will be a 12" minimum.
Richard. One more reason to buy a 6" jointer. You just didn't know any better at the time. ;)

lou sansone
08-27-2005, 9:05 PM
if you are considering used machines then your money should go a little farther and I echo others advise - go to at least 8 inch or larger if you can.

lou

Steve Rowe
08-27-2005, 9:49 PM
Jeff - I have to agree with the other posters. There is a reason why there are so many used 6" jointers for sale and very few 8".

Jeff Horton
08-28-2005, 8:36 AM
:D ROFLOL I guess that answers my questions. And pretty much what I was thinking too. I was wondering if I would just edge joint boards or would I face enough to make it worth the extra but I think I have my answer.

BTW there is a 6" near me that is cheap. Knowing what I know now, if it goes cheap I might buy it till I find a larger one.