PDA

View Full Version : Locked I-pad

BOB OLINGER
10-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Ok, I don't confess to be very technical savoy. Looks like I inadvertently locked my I-pad, likely accepting an option I didn't know what I was doing. Now, after several attempts to put in the correct passcode (note - not password), it instructs me to restore using I-tunes. My call to Apple resulted in the same instructions. Problem is, if I go this route, I'll lose all stored data. My daughter suggested to stop in at the Apple store and ask for any suggestions. Does anybody else have a better suggestion?

Bruce Page
10-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Try resetting it (you won't loose any information) by holding down the side mounted power button and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo appear. Enter your passcode after it resets.

If you don't know the passcode then your daughters suggestion is a good one. :)

Matt Meiser
10-06-2015, 12:27 PM
If you've been backing it up to either iTunes or iCloud (and you have, right???) I'm thinking won't lose anything. Restore as instructed. If you've never synced to iTunes it will be blank. Then restore from iCloud. If I'm remembering correctly, your passcode isn't part of the restore, but rather one of the first steps in doing a setup.

iCloud backup works extremely well. With 3 iPhones and 3 iPads in the house someone is getting something new at least once a year. I can do a swap in less than an hour, completely seamless. I got a new 6S last week, handed my 6 down to my daughter, and traded in her 5C. We were in and out of the store in about an hour both fully up and running.

roger wiegand
10-06-2015, 1:58 PM
If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

Chuck Wintle
10-06-2015, 3:56 PM
Ok, I don't confess to be very technical savoy. Looks like I inadvertently locked my I-pad, likely accepting an option I didn't know what I was doing. Now, after several attempts to put in the correct passcode (note - not password), it instructs me to restore using I-tunes. My call to Apple resulted in the same instructions. Problem is, if I go this route, I'll lose all stored data. My daughter suggested to stop in at the Apple store and ask for any suggestions. Does anybody else have a better suggestion?

I would try the Apple store personally. They can show you how to do a recovery if its needed. Saving your data should be a priority.

Kent Adams
10-06-2015, 7:13 PM
Roger gave a good link. I would try those steps.