PDA

View Full Version : Live Edge Walnut Bowl

Jeff Grantham
10-06-2015, 9:16 AM
After several failed attempts, I was finally able to turn my first live-edged bowl in which I was able to keep the bark on. Would appreciate a critique from anyone willing to look...

Specs:

Wood: Walnut
Dimensions: 7" wide x 3.5" tall
Finish: 3 coats of Antique oil, followed by buffing & Renaissance Wax

Pics:

Thanks for looking!

John Keeton
10-06-2015, 9:29 AM
Jeff, it looks like you achieved a smooth transition in the bottom, and did an excellent job of sanding and finishing. It is a little difficult to tell, but it appears the edge is fairly uniform in thickness, sometimes a difficult thing to do early on. The thickness might be a little heavy for some, but not others. From what I see, the curve looks consistent, but a more head on pic would be helpful. Good grain alignment.

Good work!

Allan Ferguson
10-06-2015, 9:42 AM
I second John's comments. Yours looks much better than any of that form that I have made. Allan

Aaron Craven
10-06-2015, 9:45 AM
I'm far too much of a beginner to be offering critique, but it looks beautiful to me!

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2015, 10:07 AM
I agree with John's comments - very nice work. I think you did a really good job on getting the grain aligned - one of those things that are very noticeable because the wings are the same height and the grain pattern viewed at bottom of the bowl is centered. Not a big deal but was wondering how you finished the foot area? Did you turn a slight recess, add a bead to the foot or anything? I only ask because you can't see anything in the photos.

Roger Chandler
10-06-2015, 11:14 AM
I also agree with John's assessments. You did a good job on the shape and curve. I would also like to see the way you finished off the bottom. It is a bit thick for my tastes, as I think a thickness of about 1/4" would be ideal for this form. Nice job on the bark staying on and getting the grain centered.

Jeff Grantham
10-06-2015, 3:26 PM
Thanks for all the feedback gents... greatly appreciated! As much as I enjoy my wife telling me something looks great, it's alot more helpful having 'critical' eyes ;).
In response to a couple of questions...

Jeff, it looks like you achieved a smooth transition in the bottom, and did an excellent job of sanding and finishing. It is a little difficult to tell, but it appears the edge is fairly uniform in thickness, sometimes a difficult thing to do early on. The thickness might be a little heavy for some, but not others. From what I see, the curve looks consistent, but a more head on pic would be helpful. Good grain alignment. Good work!

Thank you John. I struggled some with how to shape the curve, and also think it might have benefited from a bit more lift at the bottom. Here's a head-on picture:

I agree with John's comments - very nice work. I think you did a really good job on getting the grain aligned - one of those things that are very noticeable because the wings are the same height and the grain pattern viewed at bottom of the bowl is centered. Not a big deal but was wondering how you finished the foot area? Did you turn a slight recess, add a bead to the foot or anything? I only ask because you can't see anything in the photos.

Thanks, Steve! For the foot area, I did have a slight recess that I used for attaching to the chuck. It's pretty basic, but here it is:

I also agree with John's assessments. You did a good job on the shape and curve. I would also like to see the way you finished off the bottom. It is a bit thick for my tastes, as I think a thickness of about 1/4" would be ideal for this form. Nice job on the bark staying on and getting the grain centered.

Thanks Roger. Re: the thickness, point taken. Honestly, I have to agree with you (It's right around 7/16" thick as it stands). My fear was that going any thinner I'd pop the bark off, which is what happened on my previous 2 attempts, and I really didn't want that to happen. You've uncovered the limits of my skill :eek:.

Adam Petersen
10-06-2015, 5:07 PM
I'm with Aaron, I don't know enough to critique beyond I think it is beautiful. I love the color.

Jim Sevey
10-06-2015, 5:27 PM
My critique....beautiful!

Roger Chandler
10-06-2015, 7:14 PM
Thanks for all the feedback gents... greatly appreciated! As much as I enjoy my wife telling me something looks great, it's alot more helpful having 'critical' eyes ;).
In response to a couple of questions...

Thank you John. I struggled some with how to shape the curve, and also think it might have benefited from a bit more lift at the bottom. Here's a head-on picture:

Thanks, Steve! For the foot area, I did have a slight recess that I used for attaching to the chuck. It's pretty basic, but here it is:

Thanks Roger. Re: the thickness, point taken. Honestly, I have to agree with you (It's right around 7/16" thick as it stands). My fear was that going any thinner I'd pop the bark off, which is what happened on my previous 2 attempts, and I really didn't want that to happen. You've uncovered the limits of my skill :eek:.

What I do is use CA glue on the bark as I go, and have it applied before I make the final cuts......it really helps to keep it on when you soak the cambium layer.

Dok Yager
10-06-2015, 7:42 PM
Nice job Jeff. I agree with John om his assessment, form looks good and edge is nice and you got it centered. Well Done.

Jeff Grantham
10-06-2015, 8:08 PM
What I do is use CA glue on the bark as I go, and have it applied before I make the final cuts......it really helps to keep it on when you soak the cambium layer.

You don't have troubles with the CA staining the wood or bark, and/or showing up in your finish?

Roger Chandler
10-06-2015, 8:38 PM
You don't have troubles with the CA staining the wood or bark, and/or showing up in your finish?

I usually spray a little shellac on the area just beneath the bark, and am careful when I apply it, and use a very small applicator tip on the glue bottle. The CA does darken the bark a little, but not an issue.

Ken Glass
10-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Jeff,
It's no small feat to keep all the bark on a natural Edge bowl as you have done. I agree with all the others as it is very well turned, and the finish seems very smooth too. Well Done.

Jeff Grantham
10-07-2015, 9:32 AM
I usually spray a little shellac on the area just beneath the bark, and am careful when I apply it, and use a very small applicator tip on the glue bottle. The CA does darken the bark a little, but not an issue.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to have to try that!

And to everyone else who's commented - thanks for all of the positive feedback!!! :D